Author Topic: Watch for gravel!  (Read 2432 times)

Offline tomacGTi

• Board Homesteader!
Watch for gravel!
« on: August 23, 2006, 01:34:01 AM »
Just a reminder to be careful out there. I didn't go down but just about had to stop to empty the poo out of my trousers.

On the a-typical "last run" of the afternoon and close to home I was feeling quite good and things were feeling quite in place. The suspension adjustments I made felt great and the motor was as in tune as it could have ever been. I rounded a semi-blind right hander that I had been through earlier during the day and a thousand times before when I hit something that basically slid both wheels sideways about 6" or so.

The bike then went through the oscillations and re-steadied itself, somthing not exactly comforting at 60mph. Not soon after, I then went back to see exactly what caused it in the first place: a four-inch wide strip by three foot patch of very fine sediment/gravel that blended in with the color of the pavement. It was dusk and my shield had some bug splatter on it so needless to say, I really didn't see it. That and the fact that I was moving along at a pretty good clip certainly didn't help.

So be careful out there! This happened to me on a road I'd like to think I know pretty well and ride fairly often. It was in an innocuous spot (the middle of the road where cars can't get to it) that at the speed I was travelling at was unavoidable and could have been if I were going maybe a smidge slower and more to the right versus centre. It just furthers me on to one day make it out to the track when money and time provide.

-Randy

Offline aussiebandit

• Board Homesteader!
Watch for gravel!
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2006, 03:03:53 AM »
I'll second that - 2 years ago I had an 'incident' on gravel at only 60km/hr.

It cost:

the insurance company $6500.00,
me my Rating 1 - 60% no claim bonus,
me a week off work,
me a severe 'talking too' from The Treasurer - she was more concerned about the bike than me - 'how dare I damage the bike', and
my family 2 months worth of listening to me whinge and whine for 2 months while the shop put the B12 back together.
AUSSIEBANDIT (MICK)
02B12

"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool"

Offline banditcilik

• Board Homesteader!
Watch for gravel!
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2006, 01:38:41 PM »
Yeah you're right, never be too sure. Sometimes road debris in form of ash or sand carried by rainwater and stuck at one place. They sit in the form of small patches act like a landmine for motorcyclists.

Offline Russtang

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • http://russruss.com
Watch for gravel!
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2006, 07:33:35 PM »
Yesterday I had a bit of a scare myself.  Riding home on the usual route.  Going about 45mph down a 2 lane road when the truck I'm following swerves off to the right to avoid some road cones.  I have to follow, and there we both were, suddenly driving on the road shoulder comprised of what felt like 6 inches of loose gravel.   :shock:

Then the guy slams on his brakes to slow down.  I had to slow down way quicker than I normally do on gravel.   :wink:   Locked them both up a little a few times, and nearly crapped my pants in the process going around the bend.

Thankfully my dirt instincts kicked in, my inside foot went out, and I took that corner like an enduro rider.  Also avoided becoming a tailgate ornament.  Gotta love that advanced road construction warning.

Lessons learned?  

1.  Don't follow the vehicle in front of you closer than the distance you can safely stop in.  

2.  Don't assume there will be a "Road Construction" sign in my town whenever they work on the roads.  Assume you could be driving on the shoulder at any moment.

3.  Don't follow the vehicle in front of you closer than the distance you can safely stop in.  :beers:

Russ

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
Watch for gravel!
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2006, 09:33:47 PM »
Glad you came out of it OK, Randy.  

Uh... there's no dirt or gravel on the track.   :motorsmile:
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline tomacGTi

• Board Homesteader!
Watch for gravel!
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2006, 11:07:23 PM »
Thanks Rob. Truly was unsettling, to say I was happy that I was close to home was an understatement: two turns. The confidence was certainly dented even for the mile back to the house.

I was going to try to get out to the track this year with the Martin's Motorsport day but everything else kind of sided against me:

-need gauntlet gloves
-need tires
-need a non-modular helmet
-need a way to get there (VW Rabbits aren't known for interior room, even with no back seat)

Next year perhaps. Hopefully things will line up a bit better as my next-door neighbor just bought a pickup truck that's available for us to use on occation.