Author Topic: Storage question  (Read 3121 times)

Offline JmuRiz

• Board Homesteader!
Storage question
« on: November 21, 2005, 10:07:52 AM »
Does the petcock on our bike have an "OFF" position?  I sure can't seem to find it if it does...I only see normal and reserve.  I was going to run bike on "OFF" to get all the fuel out of the carbs for storage.

Thanks

BTW, my FZR400 seems to not have an "OFF" also...is this something that just used to be on older bike's petcocks?
Nathan

'91 GSF 400
'90 FZR 400
'65 Ducati Falcon 80

Offline Maniac

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.bikepics.com/members/plan9/93bandit400/
Storage question
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2005, 10:35:04 AM »
The 400 doesn't have a true 'off' position, no. The ON and RES positions are 'off' when the engine isn't running, since it's a vacuum actuated petcock. You could try disconnecting the vacuum line and plugging it off, but thats not guaranteed.

Since these petcocks do tend to leak a little, you may be better off just draining the tank and then running her empty.

2008 GSXR-750

Offline Herr Tod

• Board Homesteader!
Storage question
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2005, 12:17:55 PM »
Why remove the fuel? It's better to throw in some fuel stabiliser, let the engine run for a while and then store the bike.

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
Storage question
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2005, 01:27:34 PM »
Quote from: "Herr Tod"
Why remove the fuel? It's better to throw in some fuel stabiliser, let the engine run for a while and then store the bike.

Yeah... what he said!

Nathan - don't you get enough nice days through the winter to keep fresh fuel in?
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline Maniac

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.bikepics.com/members/plan9/93bandit400/
Storage question
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2005, 02:09:18 PM »
Well yeah, you can do that too.  :grin:

I just don't like leaving fuel in my bike, the old petcock used to leak and fill the engine with gas if you left it sitting for any length of time. I'm just overly cautious with it now.

2008 GSXR-750

Offline billybandit

• Board Homesteader!
Storage question
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2005, 06:30:49 PM »
Better idea for storage - keep using it through winter and keep it hosed down and WD40'd  :beers:

Offline Vidrazor

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Storage question
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2005, 02:23:44 PM »
Hmmm, does Virginia get that cold? I guess it's just how you feel about it of course. I live in NJ and just got myself a "full metal jacket" setup for winter.

I got some hi-tech thin ski thermals, socks and a fleece, a First Racing sealed leather pants outfit and a Cortech Magnum leather jacket. I borrowed a friend's extra Widder electric vest, got some Olympia winter gloves and also borrowed a set of "motorcycle mitts" my friend brought back from Japan.

I have to say, I'm all rigged up. I've been riding so far down to the upper 30's no problem. My only concern will be frost on the roads. Of course, once a good snow comes in, game over.

Offline scooter trash

• Board Homesteader!
  • Never Be The First To Get Old !
Storage question
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2005, 08:19:48 AM »
I ride mind all winter.

Bad weather....NO

Bad clothing......YES

Rode today, 38 degrees this morning going up to a balmy 48 this afternoon. 35 degrees is my cut off temp. Getting to close to ice on the roads.

Of course it is a little milder on the coast of Virginia than it would be in Sterling.

:motorsmile:  :motorsmile:  :motorsmile:  :motorsmile:  :motorsmile:  :motorsmile:  :motorsmile:
00 Red Bandit 1200S (Gone But Not Forgotten)
96 Red Harley Springer
04 Sportster
11 BMW R1200RT
scooters - in - the - wind

"Hollow Points" - From Those Who Care To Send The Very Best

Offline JmuRiz

• Board Homesteader!
Storage question
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2005, 09:52:39 AM »
I could ride my bike more...but time is hard to come by these days.
I work in DC so I do the public transportation thing (1.25 hours each way, yuck!).  I also have a new house that will be taking up me weekends for the next 6+ months.  That's why I ask...but sounds like I got some good advice here...thanks guys!
Nathan

'91 GSF 400
'90 FZR 400
'65 Ducati Falcon 80

Offline scooter trash

• Board Homesteader!
  • Never Be The First To Get Old !
Storage question
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2005, 10:02:40 AM »
I lived in Hampton, VA got a job in the Pentagon moved to Alexandria, VA stayed up there for 7 years got fed up with the traffic, people, cost of living, moved back to Virginia Beach. I know what you are saying !!!

:motorsmile:
00 Red Bandit 1200S (Gone But Not Forgotten)
96 Red Harley Springer
04 Sportster
11 BMW R1200RT
scooters - in - the - wind

"Hollow Points" - From Those Who Care To Send The Very Best