Author Topic: Help! I am officially an idiot!  (Read 2539 times)

Offline GooseMan

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.soundwerksaudio.com
Help! I am officially an idiot!
« on: May 05, 2007, 06:40:41 PM »
Yeah...I'm an idiot. I was changing the oil on my bike, and, well, to make a long story short, I over-tightened a nut on the oil filter cover, and snapped a stud!!

See here (not my bike, but similar)

see the studs sticking out of the engine block? Well, I snapped one of those. Luckily, I have maybe 1/2" of it sticking out, so I can grab on to it.

I bought a screw extractor kit, but I dont think I need it...since I have a bit of it, I guess I can grab onto it with some vise grips and screw it out.

Now....which way do I turn it? Since its a stud, do I turn it backwards?

BTW--it seems to be like a two-sided stud from the looks of it....threaded, then blank, then threaded.

So which way do I attempt to unscrew it?! HELP! :duh:  :duh:
1991 Bandit 400

Offline Banditmax

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2007, 07:02:52 PM »
anti clockwise same way as an ordinary bolt.

Offline GooseMan

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2007, 07:57:16 PM »
OK! I managed to get it out with a pair of vice-grips. Since I dont have a replacement stud, I just used a standard 6mm bolt. Is that OK?
1991 Bandit 400

Offline duane

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2007, 08:21:41 PM »
This is common, we all do this at one time or another.  Today was your turn.:congrats:

Frankly, in the picture, I can't see the broken stud you are talking about.  If there are enough threads sticking out it may be possible to screw two nuts on to it, tighten them against eachother, then use them to put a wrench on and back out the broken stud.  

I believe Banditmax is correct, counterclockwise, (anti closkwise :grin:)  or left.

Lefty loosey, righty tighty.

Offline duane

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2007, 08:28:50 PM »
Quote from: "GooseMan"
Since I dont have a replacement stud, I just used a standard 6mm bolt. Is that OK?

Sure!  But keep in mind that bolt is probably steel and the enginge case is aluminum, and it will be very easy to strip the threads inside the case. :bomb: Be careful.  Frankly I'd order the OEM replacement and take care of it on the next filter change.  It's cheap insurance.

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2007, 08:38:19 PM »
Those studs always break. Even with a torque wrench. Do not use just any bolt. Get the replacement from Suzuki. I think they are designed to break if you over torque. Any suzuki motorcycle dealership should have them at the parts counter. Failing that try a mechanic. And buy a few extras!
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline GooseMan

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2007, 08:46:49 PM »
duane--thats a pic of a GS500 I found online..not my bike (surprisingly similar tho!). I broke the top stud.

I will order a replacement ASAP. For now, I just have a home depot 6mm bolt in there, with a very slight amount of oil on the threads...just so it doesnt seize. I didnt overtighten it either...just nice and snug, so I can get it off later.

Thanks for all the help gang!
1991 Bandit 400

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2007, 09:22:45 PM »
lows home depot sears hardware carry metric studs :duh:  :motorsmile:
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline GooseMan

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2007, 01:06:21 AM »
its Canadia  :wink:
1991 Bandit 400