Author Topic: Finally . . . .  (Read 2612 times)

Offline Garyola

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.mulcahey.com
Finally . . . .
« on: April 26, 2010, 09:14:41 PM »
Got the little beast to the track. It has the Bandit motor in it. I'll start on the GSXR motor over next winter.
I went to the track today. Started out a horrible day. Bike wouldn't go, brakes were sticking and it caught fire  :banghead: . . . I'll explain later.
But once I got everything sorted it ran great and I only have a few blisters. I got to the edge of the tires after a few laps and that felt good to be going hard again. I'm going to do more laps this weekend coming to get used to it.
Here are a few quick pics at the track today. Nothing on the track. I will have some from this weekend coming.
It handled very well. :motorsmile: Much different than the Bandit.

G

G

Offline Chris H

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Finally . . . .
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 07:03:39 PM »
Hey Gary,
Looks very nice! Good that you got it going and bet you had a grin from ear to ear as the bike started to push the edge of the tyre. :beers:
What fairing you running?
You will have to wait a couple more weeks for the dyno results from my B4 as its very poorly at the mo- eatten a few re/rec's and get a weak yellow spark so either a short or bad Cdi! :banghead:  Got the loom in a spaggetti like state so looking like we will finally have a wiring diagram for the first gen VVC.

Offline Garyola

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 09:38:50 AM »
Hi Chris
Sorry to hear about that electrical issue. I hate when that happens. I had a friend rebuild my cdi box. He's an electrical engineer. It works great.
The fairing is modified stock for now except for the upper is RGV250. I closed the belly pan up  and closed off the passenger seat. It's a little rough but I'm keeping my eye out for stock stuff I can make copies of.
I'm also trying out these new Dunlops that where made for the SV race classes. They are DOT dual compound tyres . I like them. They don't have the feedback of the slicks but they sure do stick. I'm going to give them a go and see if I can live with them.
My bike on the dyno did 60 hp at the rear wheel. That is about 12% less than what the motor is putting out. So it's going good.
I think I have the starting issues worked out. I think my little battery was too weak in the cold we have a still. So initial start up is brutal on that battery. I've hooked up a bigger battery when I do first of the day starts and after that is starts fine once warmed up.
I'm racing it this weekend so we'll see if I can get this little bike working or more like, see if I can get me working it.

G

Offline Garyola

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 11:11:28 PM »
First round of the race season was crap for me. Crashed in practice. A little damage to the bike but got it fixed and then got the suspension worked out (89 gsxr750 fully adjustable front end). On Saturday morning practice I was starting to get my times down a bit after not really being on the track for over a year. It was starting to work then the right hand side crank bolt came loose and shot out the side of the engine casing plug. End of weekend :banghead:
So I went to a track day on Monday after getting the bike fixed and put an afternoon of good laps in. I'm going to miss round two this coming weekend because I feel I need more seat time to compete. I'll go to the track day this Monday again and try to get faster. It's going to be nice and warm.
The bike goes very well and is handling almost like it should. Still some work to do on the front end. It might be the tires I don't like. I might have to go back to the slicks.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 11:25:03 PM by Garyola »

Offline Chris H

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 05:27:21 PM »
Nice one Gary,
at least it was only your pride that was hurt in the tumble. Those hyper sport tyres will take some getting use to after the slicks. We use to get worn slicks and cut them for trackdays and they never let go at the edge like the standard ones altho you got to push them to get good heat in conpared to standard. Fixed the bike with a cbr6rr regulator (100% better than stock) and wired it straight to the battery as per SV guys. Finally got summer over here so chance to find the edge of the tyres in the next few days! :banana: