Author Topic: Strange starter button issue...  (Read 3208 times)

Offline GooseMan

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.soundwerksaudio.com
Strange starter button issue...
« on: September 06, 2007, 11:22:57 AM »
So it seems my bike has developed a new "issue"  :roll:

Lately, when I start the bike, I'll turn the key to ON, press the starter button, and nothing will happen.  :shock:  After a few presses, it finally fires right up. Seems to be intermittent, working sometimes, other times, I have to press it maybe 10 times to fire.

I thought it may have been a dead battery, but when I turn the key to ON, the lights light up fine, as does the headlight (headlights always on on Canadian bikes). And when it does work, it fires right up...no struggling.

Theres no clicking noise or anything when I press the starter...like its not connected.

Any ideas? My guess is the starter button is not making contact...but I wanted to know if you more experienced peeps had any ideas.
1991 Bandit 400

Offline Bartjan

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 11:43:57 AM »
my guess is your kill-switch (the red one at the right side) has a bad connection.

try switchin it a few times to see if it helps  :wink:
1991 US Bandit 400

Offline pmackie

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007, 12:24:53 PM »
As Bartan said, check the handlebar kill switch first. 2nd option is likely the starter button switch itself.

You can pull the throttle/switch housing off and spray both switches with electrical contact cleaner, from both the outside and inside, while operating both switches, as well as making sure there are no loose wires, etc.
Paul
2002-GSF600S, Progressive Fork Springs, B12 Shock,
SS Brake lines, EBC HH pads, Leo Vince Ex & Kappa bags.
Ex Bike Mechanic (late 70's), somewhat rusty
32 years in the Fuel/lubes industry(Retired)

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2007, 01:39:58 PM »
Or possibly the sidestand safety switch....
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2007, 02:59:25 PM »
Don't B4's have a safety switch for the clutch lever as well?

If so, could be that, too. Most often, it's the sidestand or clutch switches that cause this, but the others could do it, too.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline GooseMan

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.soundwerksaudio.com
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2007, 03:58:21 PM »
Is there really a clutch switch? I dont recall seeing one. I'll try to take it all apart and spray some contact lube in there. Hopefully that works.

One last, stupid, kinda unrelated question. On a bike, does the battery get recharged when the engine is running? I know theres no alternator, theres a "magneto" right?

I know its kind of a dumb question...but I always assumed the batt was used to start the engine, and got recharged as the engine ran (on both cars and bikes)...is that right?
1991 Bandit 400

Offline r_outsider

• Site Testing Volunteer
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2007, 11:26:38 PM »
Quote from: "GooseMan"
One last, stupid, kinda unrelated question. On a bike, does the battery get recharged when the engine is running? I know theres no alternator, theres a "magneto" right?

I know its kind of a dumb question...but I always assumed the batt was used to start the engine, and got recharged as the engine ran (on both cars and bikes)...is that right?

Yes.

Offline Thief400

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.members.shaw.ca/cgard
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2007, 12:18:56 AM »
Mine did the same thing, the contacts in the starter button are dirty and corroded. Take the switch apart and clean the contacts

Offline I_FLY_LOW

• First Post! Be Gentle!
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2007, 12:37:27 AM »
I have a 98 b12 I too had the same thing happen.. I called the dealer to get a price check on a new switch... after I picked up my jaw off the floor, I promptly went outside, disassembled the starter switch assembly, cleaned all the contact components, sprayed with contact cleaner, & lube, reassembled. it's been 1.5 years since I did that, and have had no more problems... took about 15 min or so to do.. didn't cost me a dime...