Author Topic: Where to get sprockets? 13T/49T  (Read 4426 times)

Offline El Dopa

• Board Homesteader!
Where to get sprockets? 13T/49T
« on: May 25, 2007, 10:56:41 PM »
I'm thinking about changing the gearing on my 400.

I'm not interested in a higher top speed - the roads and cops round here don't justify it.

After a bit of a search, I wouldn't mind trying a 13/49 ultra-high torque setup. Sacrifice the top end for lot of extra 'pulling away' kick.

There appear to be a few on-line places that do a 49T rear, but I haven't seen any that do a 13T front.

Does anyone have any recomendations?

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2007, 12:11:02 AM »
I can't help you find that 13t but that seems like it would render 1st gear totally unusable.  I can see that set up for a track bike where you're not really down into 1st much if at all but I think that would be REALLY annoying on the road.  Just my $.02.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline El Dopa

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2007, 12:33:46 AM »
Quote from: "PitterB4"
I can't help you find that 13t but that seems like it would render 1st gear totally unusable.  I can see that set up for a track bike where you're not really down into 1st much if at all but I think that would be REALLY annoying on the road.  Just my $.02.

Thanks. I find 1st a pain anyway - only ever use it for a standing start (and sometimes use second for that).

I might switch to a 49T rear and see how I get on with that, first.

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2007, 12:54:24 AM »
what ever stock is go up 2 teeth in the rear
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline El Dopa

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2007, 02:20:36 AM »
Quote from: "gsxr400 racer"
what ever stock is go up 2 teeth in the rear

47 on the rear at the moment - counted 'em this afternoon.

Offline erik

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2007, 04:51:17 AM »
http://www.jtsprockets.com/52.0.html?&L=0&sel_uid=1581&p=

JT Sprockets do a 49 tooth rear. Mt Eden Motorcycles can get JT sprockets in for you and I'm sure there's a few other shops that do them.

I don't think there's much point in doing it though, unless you want it to be easier to get the front up in first. The bandit already cruises quite nicely in 6th at 100km/h. IIRC, my bandit sits at 6000rpm at 100km/h in 6th, if you go for a bigger rear sprocket it'll raise the rpm at 100 even higher. Also if you're using 2nd instead of 1st to pull away from a stop, going for a bigger rear might mean you'll end up using 3rd.

Changing the sprockets won't make the bike more torquey overall, it'll just shift the speeds at which you have to change gear up or down.

Offline El Dopa

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2007, 02:10:04 AM »
Quote from: "erik"
http://www.jtsprockets.com/52.0.html?&L=0&sel_uid=1581&p=

JT Sprockets do a 49 tooth rear. Mt Eden Motorcycles can get JT sprockets in for you and I'm sure there's a few other shops that do them.

I don't think there's much point in doing it though, unless you want it to be easier to get the front up in first. The bandit already cruises quite nicely in 6th at 100km/h. IIRC, my bandit sits at 6000rpm at 100km/h in 6th, if you go for a bigger rear sprocket it'll raise the rpm at 100 even higher. Also if you're using 2nd instead of 1st to pull away from a stop, going for a bigger rear might mean you'll end up using 3rd.

Changing the sprockets won't make the bike more torquey overall, it'll just shift the speeds at which you have to change gear up or down.

Funny, the guy in Cycletreads didn't seem to think they did them, but there they are on the website. Next stop, Mt Eden.

It's more that I'm interested in having a play around and seeing whether it suits my riding style more. Not that expensive compared to some of the other mods, either.

Offline revhard05

• New user!
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2007, 10:49:44 AM »
www.rebelgears.com give them a call or a email they can get just about any gear you can think of and if they cant they will make a custom gear to meet your needs

Offline Garyola

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.mulcahey.com
Re: Where to get sprockets? 13T/49T
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2007, 12:25:22 PM »
Quote from: "El Dopa"
I'm thinking about changing the gearing on my 400.

I'm not interested in a higher top speed - the roads and cops round here don't justify it.

After a bit of a search, I wouldn't mind trying a 13/49 ultra-high torque setup. Sacrifice the top end for lot of extra 'pulling away' kick.

There appear to be a few on-line places that do a 49T rear, but I haven't seen any that do a 13T front.

Does anyone have any recomendations?

I race with a 15/49 on some of the smaller tracks here and 1st gear will almost pull your arms out if you get on the gas a little too much. It's great for starts but you only carry 1st gear for a very short distance. Going to 13 on the front will make 1st gear useless like PitterB4 says and that size, 13T, is very hard on chains. I would suggest going to the 15/49 and see if that suits you 1st. I take this set up up my road sometimes if I'm testing the bike :iddi:  and I have to tell you, I wouldn't want to be riding this set up on the streets. To get the most out of the 15/49, I'm 10 grand to red line all the time for it to be effective.

G

Offline El Dopa

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2007, 06:07:40 PM »
Thanks for that.

I'll give this setup a try. I spend most of my riding time at 10K+ anyway. Set a new record for fuel ineffeciency yesterday - 174K from full to empty. I was running on fumes when I finally found a petrol station.

Offline turbofb

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2007, 01:56:50 AM »
I noticed that too,since I got the jetting down pat.
Im riding very aggresively now and running though a tank of fuel in well under 100 miles.I used to get a lot more range before, since I was keeping the revs low,out of the ragged out-of-tune higher rpms.

When I switched down ne tooth to a 46 rear sproket,I didnt notice any difference.You have to make a pretty substantial change to the rear to get results.On the flip side,a small change up front makes a big difference.I added a tooth up front and now 1st gear has some actual function.1st gear is still very low,but it is only a 400 after all.
6th gear has my rpm's matching my mph's,numerically.
60mph@6000 .....70mph@7000 .....80mph@8000 .....and so on,although Im not sure how accurate my speedo is.
I only waited 15 years, to buy a B4!!

Offline Banditmax

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2007, 08:01:05 AM »
My bikes always been geared like that 6000=60mph in 6th With sprockets i bought assuming them to be standard. 47 tooth rear 14 tooth front. i cant find a smaller front anywhere either.

Offline turbofb

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2007, 11:44:52 PM »
It wasnt easy finding a non-standard front sproket,although it probably should have been.
Sum of All Parts sells chain/sproket kits on Ebay and they offer you the option of different sproket tooth counts.They got me a 15 tooth 525 sproket for my B4,but it took 4 tries to get it right.Not because it was an unobtainable item,just because of botched communication between emails and their communication with whoever it was they got the sproket from.I ordered a new 520 conversion sproket for my FZR1000 at the same time,and wires got crossed about which bike got what pitch and what tooth count......3 times! :duh:
I only waited 15 years, to buy a B4!!

Offline Banditmax

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2007, 05:37:53 AM »
www.wemoto.com sell a good few different sized sprockets although only larger front sporckets.