Author Topic: INFO - fuel tap  (Read 5312 times)

Offline Lynxx

• TURBO TYPER!
INFO - fuel tap
« on: March 20, 2012, 11:29:00 AM »
Just thought id share this with everyone, the GSF400 and every other bandit probably comes with one of those annoying vacuum fuel taps. Anyway if you get a hacksaw and cut the back off where the air hose goes in, pull the guts out and then use liquid metal and fill the air hose plug in and glue the cut off part back on, it means your bikes on prime, saves your starter when ever you run out of fuel. I did it because im sick of having to run my battery nearly dead when it runs out of petrol or when i take the carbs off to clean them.

Works good now, i never have to prime the bike, just turn the fuel on and its like a dirtbike or any other good bike with a 'prime' position (bandit does not have prime for some reason). ill post a pic later of what it looks like

Offline Lynxx

• TURBO TYPER!
Re: INFO - fuel tap
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 01:29:42 PM »

Offline andrewsw

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 02:54:52 PM »
Um... I just removed the stop screw that prevents the petcock from turning to the prime position (us '93 gsf400 here). Problem solved :) But maybe there are different versions of the petcock?

A

Offline Lynxx

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 05:34:19 PM »
no option for prime on the Japanese model, that's why i gutted it. Now everything's on prime, reserve and on. I hate those vacuum pumps anyway. Just another thing to go wrong and if your going down the road and it goes bad in the middle of nowhere your screwed.

Offline Chris H

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 07:09:08 PM »
All B4's come with a prime, as Andrew says you remove the small screw on the front of the fuel tap and turn the lever past the normal stop position.
The reason for the vacuum is so that you dont have to keep switching the tap off and if one of the floats dosent seal you wont find the contents of the tank all over the floor when you are parked in the middle of no where.

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 07:52:15 PM »
How do you turn the fuel off when you're parked? The B4 tap doesn't have an off position (PRIME, RES and ON only). OFF is operated by vacuum (or lack there of). Time to install an inline shut off and check your crankcase for gasoline...

Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline Lynxx

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 08:55:40 PM »
mine shuts off for some reason :P

Offline Lynxx

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 08:58:38 PM »
And if it comes to it, when i ship the bike to the US (in Nov) ill put a RM or some other dirtbike petcock on it, so i don have any of the vacuum crap.

Offline Lynxx

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 09:01:36 PM »
i think its because i fliped the plastic bit the wrong way round, so now it has Res, Off and On.

Offline Squishy

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2012, 05:59:43 AM »
I have no idea what you guys are on about. Never any problems with the fuel tap/

Offline Lynxx

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2012, 11:35:54 AM »
i just had a hard time starting my bike when i run it out of fuel or took the tank off and cleaned the carbs (which has been alot recently because its a c u next tuesday on fuel) by gutting the petcock all i do is put the tank back on and wait a few minutes... saves me having to turn the engine over at least 100 times (burning my starter/battery out)