Author Topic: New 400 owner with a few questions.  (Read 2176 times)

Offline Brit-400

• TURBO TYPER!
New 400 owner with a few questions.
« on: May 09, 2006, 11:37:55 AM »
Hi. :) Firstly - great forum, so happy i've found some useful info on my little bike, they're so rare over here!

Anyway, i'm Toby, british owner of an '89 400 since '02. (see pics)

Its boggo, as far as i know, apart from the paint job which it came from Japan with. Guessing its a custom job, they were only released in black or red as far as i know. The pics do it no justice though - that blacks full of a very deep blue metallic flake and the white is a rich pearl. Yummy yum. Its also got a race can on it.

I've just ordered a '02 bandit 1200 shock for it as this one is a little tired and I also fancied the back end a little higher, found the info i needed here - ta! I've also got a k+n filter and Dynojet kit to fit.Pretty happy i found a jap bike - twin discs and stainless pipe for me. :tongue:

Couple of questions;

1) There's a local GSX-R 400 breaking, what parts should i steal? I'm guessing the motor is tweaked in the GSX, cams and carbs i heard? What differences could i expect by fitting these?

2) What are bone stock power/torque figures for the 400 non vvc?

3) Where is the standard redline no these? The clock gives an indicated redline at 14,000 but mine redlines under 13k, that normal?

4) My bike was restricted a couple of years back for insurance but the restrictors 'fell out' of the carbs. :roll: Will it be running lean now? It seems to be a bit spluttery before it hits its powerband and when i roll on the throttle.

5) One more then. My 'box seems very close, dosent let me much over an indicated 120 top before redline - is the standard B4 box this close or might it be a GSX box?

Enough from me - any help is appreciated.  :thanks:
Thanks, Toby.

This post may be beer fuelled...

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2006, 12:10:33 PM »
Again, :welcome: to our little part of the internet!

Beau-tiful paint!  That's sweet!

It seems you're interchanging/confusing redline and rev limiter.  You're saying your rev limiter cuts you off at ~13K?  

What's your gearing like?  It could be an optical illusion but that rear sprocket poking out between the spokes in the first pic looks big.  Bigger-than-stock rear sprocket would certainly limit your topend.  

You'll be pleased with the new shock.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2006, 12:24:58 PM »
OTOH, Rob, isn't 120mph pretty respectable for the B4?
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline jcmjrt

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2006, 12:35:27 PM »
Beautiful bike.

You could also consider getting the aluminum swingarm off the GSXR. It's a little lighter and stiffer than the bandit's and fits right up. I've heard that the cams are good too but haven't tried that myself. If you look at the top of the messages here, you can also find a kit to turn the 400 into a 450. Jay is selling that and has had experience with the GSXR cams too. I'm sure that he'll chime in later.

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2006, 02:07:21 PM »
Quote from: "Red01"
OTOH, Rob, isn't 120mph pretty respectable for the B4?

Oh damn that's right... I always forget that the brits still use MPH.  I always assume we're the only ones!  120 indicated is just about right if down just a tick from the 116 measured in the mags back in the day.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline Brit-400

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2006, 04:40:43 PM »
Cheers all. :)

Quote from: "PitterB4"

It seems you're interchanging/confusing redline and rev limiter.  You're saying your rev limiter cuts you off at ~13K?    

Yes. On the clock, its redline is at 14k, mine nuts the limiter before 13k, say about 1275rpm-ish. Ive always thought it was normal but thought i'd check. :)

Quote from: "PitterB4"

You'll be pleased with the new shock

I hope so! :grin:
Thanks, Toby.

This post may be beer fuelled...