Author Topic: Won't start today  (Read 5818 times)

Offline k4y_d1

• TURBO TYPER!
Won't start today
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2007, 01:57:13 AM »
:bigok: Copying your style...and it worked  :clap:
got to the state of "normal" for b4... :p as you said that Stormi.. :lol:
thx again!!

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
Won't start today
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2007, 02:05:17 AM »
I'm not sure you want to use Dita as a baseline for normal... unless a bike that throws the odd temper tantrum is "normal"  :bigok:

Glad to hear you've got it licked though. Check the choke anyway, see if you can save yourself some grief down the line.  That's also a cable you can make for yourself if it's hard to get parts where you are... http://forums.banditalley.net/viewtopic.php?t=1336&highlight=choke+cable
stormi

Dita - 91 Bandit 400 - SOLD
Blue - 02 Hornet 919 - Perfect Gentleman
02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390
17 Husky TC85 converted to 105

Electrosport Charging System Test - it really works

Offline k4y_d1

• TURBO TYPER!
Won't start today
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2007, 10:20:05 PM »
Hi Stormi...
no problem again with my b4 for the last 2 days..including this morning :grin:
always started...using the same method as you..:p

I checked the choke cable...it's working really fine and smooth.. My mechanic has changed the wire inside the outer cable with the new one... and lube it with WD40.. it's perfect...
but, yes maybe the problem i had yesterday because of the fuel flooding as i opened the choke all the way.

One of my friend said it could be because of the worn petcock also... so the vacuum system didn't work well...

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
Won't start today
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2007, 04:05:00 PM »
I have never opened the choke all the way ( well,.. not once I saw how the carbs are set up anyway)  You really only need about 1/3 open for more than adequate choking. The lever moves -way- too far.   The only thing to check is that when you close the choke with the lever that the slide is going -all- the way back to the end ( on the carbs) and not just most of the way.  If it isn't, then you need to adjust it at the lever side.  I'm sure your mechanic did that though, if you trust him enough to take the bike there.

To check the petcock, you should be able to take the tank off, and no gas should leak out of it if it's in the ON or reserve position.

There's lots of info in the forum about these petcocks, but the main jist of it is that the petcock works on vacuum pressure and is only flowing gas once you start cranking the engine, and while running of course.
stormi

02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390

Offline k4y_d1

• TURBO TYPER!
Won't start today
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2007, 02:45:24 AM »
I noticed small leaking problem from around the petcock lever.. it will leak if i turn it into ON position, but no leak on RES position.  Can we fix this leaking problem or do we have to change the petcock?

Also, how will the bike works if I use PRIME position on the petcock? I know it's non vacuum system when i switched to PRIME, but will it work normal or will it flood the carb and make other problems?
Thanks a lot  :grin:

Offline Bartjan

• Board Homesteader!
Won't start today
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2007, 03:08:18 AM »
it will work normally.
1991 US Bandit 400

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
Won't start today
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2007, 12:20:03 AM »
Quote from: "k4y_d1"
I noticed small leaking problem from around the petcock lever.. it will leak if i turn it into ON position, but no leak on RES position.  Can we fix this leaking problem or do we have to change the petcock?

Look around in the forum,.. I'm sure I saw something about a rebuild kit that suzuki denies exists...
stormi

02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390

Offline erict716

• Board Homesteader!
Won't start today
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2007, 09:15:30 PM »
As I read this thread I say to myself, "Wow this same shit is happening to me these past two days."

Story:  I drove my bike around at school (300 miles away), and when it was time to come home I drove it on a trailer, and brought it home.  I then drove it off the trailer and drove around for a bit, then placed it in my garage.  Yesterday I tried to start it up and it won't start, it just turns over then a loud backfire."  Same thing today.

I checked my plugs and they all seemed fine, and I also have gas.  My friend is currently at MMI and I called him, since he wasn't around he couldnt really give me a good answer, so he said to charge the battery.  I did that, then drained the carbs because I knew I flooded the shit out of them.  It still isn't working.  

Any ideas, and if I do have to clean the carbs, what parts do I have to buy.  I am on a really tight budget and can't afford to just run it to the shop to get fixed, if it gets to that the Bandit (sad to say) is going for sale.

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
Won't start today
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2007, 01:20:13 AM »
You should be able to do a basic cleaning on the carbs without any parts.  Replace whatever's worn though for better reliability.

As for the starting problem, does it start if you push start it?  

Backfiring is often a symptom of silliy things,.. like a mixed up spark order ( i.e. plug wires on the wrong plugs, etc.)  but if you haven't taken it apart at all and it's a new development, I'd check what could have changed during it's trailer ride, i.e vibration related.  

The no start could have something to do with fuel not getting to the cylinders, i.e. a blockage between here and there.  

What did the plugs look like?  carbonned?  wet?  brown?  White? broken?  That will often tell you a lot about what the problem is with starting or running...
stormi

02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390

Offline k4y_d1

• TURBO TYPER!
Won't start today
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2007, 03:30:35 AM »
As i discussed also with Stormi through PM...
the problem with mine actually more on the electrical side..well turned out that my Battery was in crappy condition though it could still crank up engine when i pushed start button...
At the very end, my battery dead..and only starter relay sounded click click click / rattled when i pushed the start button...
So changed to new battery, and it started fine without problem in the morning...
Like Stormi said to me, maybe you could check based on his charging test...:)  
but, knowing that you have backfire then maybe it's other problems different than mine  :grin: