Author Topic: Won't turn over first couple of times after overnight..  (Read 2360 times)

Offline gpetrus

• New user!
Won't turn over first couple of times after overnight..
« on: August 15, 2012, 10:07:06 AM »
Hi

New member here.. recently bought a 1994 bandit 400 (german version), and after riding it for a week or so it has developed a strange problem. Whenever I park it overnight and come back next morning, it won't even turn over first couple of times I try to start it, solenoid clicks, but nothing happens, it looks like as if some sort of vacuum forms somewhere, because after trying to start it I can hear some sort of faint noise as if fuel or air is being sucked, after it goes down, the bike seems to start normally... Im planning a valve adjust and carb clean in the next couple of days, anything else I should look into while the bike is taken apart. Thanks

Offline phoenix

• TURBO TYPER!
Re: Won't turn over first couple of times after overnight..
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 01:28:50 PM »
I'd check the battey voltage after sitting overnight prior to starting.  Could be getting long in tooth or the plates may be shorting out from a buildup at the bottom of the battery.  After that you may want to check the wiring from the solinoid to the starter itself.  Clean off any corrosion on the cable and reinstall.  If nothing else, check the voltage at the starter when you press the button vs the voltage available at the battery. 

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 06:34:31 PM »
It could be your petcock or carbs are flooding the motor with gas causing hydrolock...  
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 07:30:04 PM by interfuse »
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline gpetrus

• New user!
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 03:28:15 PM »
Thanks for the answers, took out spark plugs, turned over motor, and petrol started pouring from one of the cylinders, hence one of the carbs is leaking, lets just hope I haven't damaged piston rod while trying to start engine in hydrolock, float needle seems to be in good condition on a leaking carb, does that mean that the only other way it could be leaking is through the two o-rings on the float assembly?

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 04:30:10 PM »
Yes, old o-rings are notorious for leaking. It could also be debris caught in the float valve. Or if your petcock is broken (ie leaks gas when set in "on" position without vacuum) gas can force it's way through the float valves.
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline gpetrus

• New user!
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 06:31:05 PM »
I would rule out petcock, since only one carb is leaking, float valve was clean, time to source those damn o-rings..