Author Topic: Hello, again(long story)...  (Read 3446 times)

Offline sclay115

• Board Homesteader!
Hello, again(long story)...
« on: February 18, 2007, 09:25:56 AM »
As some of you may or may not recall, a while back I was a regular posted on here, and was basically run into a decision that forced me to sell my B4 and buy a cage. Well, I got my cage, and have been bikeless since. But the Dainese jacket in my closet is just killing me to look at just hanging there, reminding me of the way things used to be. So I've been looking into getting another ride, been looking all over the spectrum, from building a vintage cafe bike, all the way up to buying/building a SuperMoto machine...but then I get an email.

The fellow I sold my B4 to loved the thing, and I know the feeling, I was sold when I saw one for the first time too. But he emails me saying he just got back from vacation(2 weeks) and it won't start, and it's at the local motorcycle shop getting an estimate worked up. I asked him to keep me updated on their findings and get back to me. Well, after a few days, I get the 'expert' diagnosis. 1400$ worth of repairs, CDI box(Suzuki, 700$), signal generator, at least one coil, and the compression on one cylinder is down. Ouch.

He had dropped it previous to this, right side, relatively low speed. Cracked the side cover, he had replaced it with a brand new one. So after hearing the news, I offered to come check it out after it was brought back to his place to make sure the stealership wasn't trying to cheat him. Bike is still as how I remember it, minus the damage from the fall, but it's not major. But I have some questions for you guys. As he is thinking about selling it, and frankly, if I were to get another bike, I want to buy my B4 back, even if it needs some work. So here are my questions.

1.) The signal generator tested bad as per the manual, so we are trying that first, but moving on down the line, is there any way to really test the CDI box? The manual says to test it with a Suzuki tester-mahoozer, which I obviously don't have. I can check power and such, is that all I need to test? And besides that, the CDI box on the bike is one of the replacement ones from the UK, are they known to crap out? The board/circuits/components look fine, but has anyone had any problems with them?

2.) Engine, now, I know they are rare, and I asked on here a long time ago about picking one up, but does ANYONE have another engine lying around, I can't say for sure it's the engine, but it would be great to know if I can get one, or maybe a GSXR400 engine, that would be killer. Or are the parts readily available to do a ring job and clean up the head?

3.) The fall. This is what concerns me the most, I never dropped the bandit, but I would assume it would take a bit of momentum to crack the side cover, or it just may be weak. Now, would this damage anything underneath of it, or even on the other side? I'm unsure of how everything looks in there(never taken it apart), and I would be suspicious of that first off, before I look anywhere else.

4.) The little bits. Basically if I were to buy her back, it would get a complete overhaul, everything. And I was curious, couldn't find it in the manual, but can anyone point me to the exact spark plug caps this sucker takes? Seems every time I look there are about 20 options and none of them look like what I have, and if I'm going to be doing all this, it's obviously getting new wires/plugs.

So that's it guys, if you've made it this far, I appreciate the read, I hope you guys can help me. I just want to see my bike back on the road, in my hands or his, but I'm hoping it will find itself back in my garage again.  :grin:

Regards,

Steve
"When people who should have known better cautioned me about the dangers of motorcycle racing, I always told them that a fear of death is nothing more than a fear of life in disguise."

--Nick Voge

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
Re: Hello, again(long story)...
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2007, 11:34:08 AM »
Quote from: "sclay115"
As some of you may or may not recall, a while back I was a regular posted on here, and was basically run into a decision that forced me to sell my B4 and buy a cage. Well, I got my cage, and have been bikeless since. But the Dainese jacket in my closet is just killing me to look at just hanging there, reminding me of the way things used to be. So I've been looking into getting another ride, been looking all over the spectrum, from building a vintage cafe bike, all the way up to buying/building a SuperMoto machine...but then I get an email.

The fellow I sold my B4 to loved the thing, and I know the feeling, I was sold when I saw one for the first time too. But he emails me saying he just got back from vacation(2 weeks) and it won't start, and it's at the local motorcycle shop getting an estimate worked up. I asked him to keep me updated on their findings and get back to me. Well, after a few days, I get the 'expert' diagnosis. 1400$ worth of repairs, CDI box(Suzuki, 700$) ($460 from bike bandit new or i have a few on my ebay store), signal generator (Have like 5 used ones) , at least one coil, and the compression on one cylinder is down. Ouch.

He had dropped it previous to this, right side, relatively low speed. Cracked the side cover, he had replaced it with a brand new one. So after hearing the news, I offered to come check it out after it was brought back to his place to make sure the stealership wasn't trying to cheat him. Bike is still as how I remember it, minus the damage from the fall, but it's not major. But I have some questions for you guys. As he is thinking about selling it, and frankly, if I were to get another bike, I want to buy my B4 back, even if it needs some work. So here are my questions.

1.) The signal generator tested bad as per the manual, so we are trying that first, but moving on down the line, is there any way to really test the CDI box? The manual says to test it with a Suzuki tester-mahoozer, which I obviously don't have. I can check power and such, is that all I need to test? (power to CDI and to the coils) And besides that, the CDI box on the bike is one of the replacement ones from the UK, are they known to crap out? (I'd email carmo elecrics) The board/circuits/components look fine, but has anyone had any problems with them?

2.) Engine, now, I know they are rare, and I asked on here a long time ago about picking one up, but does ANYONE have another engine lying around, I can't say for sure it's the engine, but it would be great to know if I can get one, or maybe a GSXR400 engine, that would be killer ( hard to find a good running one, I buy them to use as parts). Or are the parts readily available to do a ring job and clean up the head? All the stuff to re-ring your bike is still available bust sometimes the bore is warn out and it doesnt help, a bore job and bigger4 pistons work great! LOL What cyclinder is low #4?

3.) The fall. This is what concerns me the most, I never dropped the bandit, but I would assume it would take a bit of momentum to crack the side cover, or it just may be weak. Now, would this damage anything underneath of it, or even on the other side? I'm unsure of how everything looks in there(never taken it apart), and I would be suspicious of that first off, before I look anywhere else. What side cover are we talking ? engine side cover? plastic side cover?

4.) The little bits. Basically if I were to buy her back, it would get a complete overhaul, everything. And I was curious, couldn't find it in the manual, but can anyone point me to the exact spark plug caps this sucker takes? Seems every time I look there are about 20 options and none of them look like what I have, and if I'm going to be doing all this, it's obviously getting new wires/plugs. Every body with the stock coils should dump the wires and caps in exchange for the wires and caps sold buy NGK the red wires with the caps molded right to the wire those are the best ive found (cbr600f2) ones work great from NGK.So that's it guys, if you've made it this far, I appreciate the read, I hope you guys can help me. I just want to see my bike back on the road, in my hands or his, but I'm hoping it will find itself back in my garage again.  :grin:

Regards,

Steve

Cheers
Jay
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline sclay115

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2007, 12:10:20 PM »
It was the engine cover, right side. And yeah, I know the prices of the CDI boxes, actually read up on here that resin filled one on ebay turned out to be a pretty good buy. So there is always that option. And as far as compression, not sure which one it is, haven't checked it yet, since it is after all not my ride at the moment. Are they prone to eat a particular cylinder? And I had definitely considered a rebore, and using one of your big piston kits, might help it scoot a little bit.

But so the GSXR engines are pretty hard to get a hold of? Hm, might just consider the rebore and the big piston kit.

And as far as the coils, do both sides need to be getting power? Or just one?

Steve
"When people who should have known better cautioned me about the dangers of motorcycle racing, I always told them that a fear of death is nothing more than a fear of life in disguise."

--Nick Voge

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2007, 01:21:23 PM »
I wouldn't let the fact that the cover cracked upset you too much.  They are very brittle.  So long as it wasn't a huge hole in it letting a bunch of crap get in the motor, I wouldn't worry about it too much.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline Kenyan01

• TURBO TYPER!
Re-ringing.
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2007, 02:35:30 PM »
Jay,
Please let me know where I can find re-ringing supplies for the bandito?
I am thinking of the future when they may not be available.
Patrick.

Offline gsxr400 racer

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2007, 06:01:48 PM »
i had a race motor that i rerung 3 times and didnt help the compression the bore where just real bad that really needs to be checked as for ring you can get them from www.bikebandit.com thats where i get most all my oem parts from
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.

Offline GK75A

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2007, 01:16:17 PM »
check the wire coming from the signal generator, even money its broken where it comes out of the motor

Offline gsxr400 racer

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2007, 04:03:48 PM »
Quote from: "GK75A"
check the wire coming from the signal generator, even money its broken where it comes out of the motor

Thats a comon problem the wind wips them till they fray :beers: