Author Topic: YESSSSSSS!!! 25 miles today on it!!!  (Read 2636 times)

Offline onenicebandit

• TURBO TYPER!
YESSSSSSS!!! 25 miles today on it!!!
« on: July 28, 2006, 09:26:27 PM »
I got her running, not correctly still, but better!  Much better, at least rideable now.   :banana:  :banana:  :banana:
After putting the carbs and the new plugs in i tried to start it up...would not start!!! Checked over things again,  :duh: had my HT's messed up.  After I fixed them it fired right up.  It runs real good above 3k, but still will not idle correctly.  I'm really stumped as to what this could be.  I can rev it and it will drop back down to 3k where it will sit for about 10 seconds then it will drop way low and die, I have to give it throttle to keep it running.  My choke is returning all the way, I checked that, and my petcock is good.  I pulled the plugs to see hwo they were burning, #1 and #3 are burning real good, #2 and #4 are black as night, after only about 15 miles on it.  I checked the temp on each pipe with a light, #1 and #3 are about 400-500 give or take, 2 and 4 are around 200-250 degrees, something is odd here, and I can't quite figure it out.  But... at the very least, I can ride it, when I slow down or come to a stop I just have to pull the clutch in and give it a stab here and there.  Better than not riding though.  Anyone have any ideas what could be going on here.  Let me know.
06 KTM 250 SXF <My>
92 Bandit 400 <Runs>

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2006, 12:15:50 AM »
Can you give us a quick rundown of what you've done to this point?  That way, people won't suggest a bunch of stuff you've already done.   :bigok:
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline onenicebandit

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2006, 08:02:10 PM »
Well to this point, I have only cleaned carbs a couple of times with new o-rings, and put new plugs in it, went over all my connections, new gas.  I'll give a brief hisory.  THe last time this bike was registered and inspected was 2001, since then it sat in a shop, apparently the guy who owned it last had a problem with it not idling properly and dying right off the bat, low compression in 2 cylinders and kept fouling plugs.  the dealership tried fixing it and tried fixing it, I finally came in one day and got to nosing aroudn the shop and noticed teh bike sitting in the back room with dust all over it, and only 2500 miles on it!!! I asked them what the deal was with the bike and they gave me the run down, while they had it they put new pistons, rings, valves, springs, plugs, wires and general maintenance.  I'm talking NEW VALVES, not an adjustment.  I have them a generous cash donation and took the bike out of the shop figuring I could get it running again.  I got it runnign better than that shop ever could, but it still isn't running correctly.  Something stupid and odd is going on, I just can't pinpoint it, I need some assistance.
06 KTM 250 SXF <My>
92 Bandit 400 <Runs>

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2006, 02:11:11 AM »
squeze the power and ground wire a bit tighter on the coil, trim the ends of the clug wires! check to see if the new valves tightened up this is not un common with something that has had a valave job
cheers
jay
got rust in the tank?
 clean carns again! clean carbs again! clean carbs again lamo
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline Farre

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2006, 03:07:24 PM »
seems like cil's 2&4 are running very rich.. carbs are set correctly? balanced?
Alex
'91 B4 almost bone stock:
GK73 Inner forks& Springs
B6 Rear Shock

Offline onenicebandit

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2006, 06:54:35 PM »
Yes, it definitely seems as if 2 and 4 are running rich, I will check the ground connections and trim a little wire.  My tank is clean, new gas as well.  As for carbs being balanced....I wouldn't bet on it.  I took them apart so many times that it wouldn't surprise me if they weren't all in synch.  I need to get it registered and insured and inspected, I think I may drop it off at a local shop just for a quick run down.  We'll see though.  I think I may have a syncher layin around.  Thanks guys.
06 KTM 250 SXF <My>
92 Bandit 400 <Runs>

Offline onenicebandit

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2006, 09:04:42 AM »
Here's an update.  I put another 31 miles on it last night, it ran a lot better but is still having trouble idling.  I just think something is goofy with these carbs, I just can't figure it out.  It's rideable though.  Getting it inspected, insured and registered for the first time since 01' today.  Wish me luck!!! (probably going to put another 40 miles on it too!)  I'm going to keep taking it for short rides, that way if it lets me sit, at least i'm in the general vicinity.
06 KTM 250 SXF <My>
92 Bandit 400 <Runs>

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2006, 04:20:01 PM »
Ok here is what i would do, put it on the center stand, take the airbox off the bike so you can see the carbs. get a can of carb cleaner with the nozle, start it up let it idle, find the air jets in the mouth of the carb, spray alittle carb cleaner in the suspected carbs air jets while it is running. see if it straightens the idle out on the 2 cylinders for just a minute. if you notice a differance, then you need to look at the carbs more closely!
cheers
jay
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol