Author Topic: Tachometer fluctuations  (Read 3371 times)

Offline andrewsw

• Board Homesteader!
Tachometer fluctuations
« on: April 25, 2008, 01:22:12 PM »
Here's another one of those annoying things that's cropped up. On highway cruising in top gear (maybe also in 4th and 5th) my tachometer fluctuates independently of engine speed. Typically this happens between 6k and 8k.

It's sort of like the tach is losing and then regaining signal causing it to drop and then rebound. It seems to go away up above 8k, but not reliably so. EIther way, it gets less severe the farther away from about 8k I go. Down below 6k it's non existent. I"ll do some testing today on my ride and see if I can narrow it down.

Where does the tach get it's signal? (I know, follow the wires you lazy bum). Could this be a sign of some deeper problem, like a CDI failing? It doesn't seem to be effecting the engine (no misses or stumbling to indicate that I'm losing spark, for example) though at those speeds, it's kind of hard to tell.

A

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
Re: Tachometer fluctuations
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2008, 04:41:25 PM »
pick up coil -cdi-coil-tac
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline andrewsw

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2008, 07:35:53 PM »
hmmm... so it could be a cdi problem?

I tested a bit today... it's most noticeable in 5th & 6th, but also shows up in 4th. Highway speeds.... in 4th, I hopped on it a bit and it did it up around 11k as well, but was jumping rapidly all over the place up there... weird.

A

Offline Herr Tod

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2008, 07:49:01 PM »
I've seen that on my bike as well sometimes. I don't know if it was the cause but it happened after I crashed the bike pretty hard. It only happens a few times a year. I think it might have something to do with the coil wires leaking to the frame or something. I haven't had any ignition problems though, the bike runs fine up to 15000 RPM.

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2008, 01:05:29 PM »
I had the same thing happening when the 12v wires going to the coils were breaking. The tach would sometimes drop for a second and the come back. Eventually the wire broke and I was running on 2 cylinders on the highway. To fix the problem I cut the wires back and crimped on spade connectors.

http://forums.banditalley.net/index.php?topic=8845.0
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2008, 01:14:07 PM »
So, it's running OK when this happens?  I can't imagine it's anything other than the lead to the tach itself then, right?  Mine was doing that when like Mike said, the leads to the coils were making intermittent contact... BUT, the tach was the least of my problems.  The B4 doesn't make a very good B2!
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline andrewsw

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2008, 01:22:18 PM »
Seems to be running fine, though as I said, it's most prevalent at highway speeds... which would make an intermittent mis-fire a little hard to notice.

But yes, seems to be okay (other than the crappy speed limiter kicking in...)

Maybe the tach lead is just getting dodgy in the wind and vibration of those higher speeds...

A

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2008, 06:36:18 PM »
Breaking 12v wires going to the coils will be noticed only at highway speeds -- that's when the wind shakes the crap out of them. I remember the needle dropping and returning quickly without any effect on performance. Eventually the wire broke and problem became no longer intermittent. Idle the bike and jiggle the wires and see if you can make the tach drop, if you can, cut the wire back and replace the spade connector...

Since your tach is cutting out, it'll be the coil on the right hand side...
« Last Edit: April 26, 2008, 06:38:22 PM by interfuse »
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline andrewsw

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2008, 05:46:12 PM »
Good idea. thanks

A

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2008, 11:17:11 PM »
Hey wiggle the spark plug lead while your at it, while the bike is running. :beers: your  :welcome: :motorsmile:
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline andrewsw

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2008, 01:17:34 PM »
well, all sorts of wire wiggling produced no results... just another one to keep an eye on I guess...