Author Topic: Tach question  (Read 3817 times)

Offline tomacGTi

• Board Homesteader!
Tach question
« on: October 10, 2005, 09:17:15 PM »
So how often do these things go bad?

I started the bike today and not a wiggle from the needle. All other lights etc. work but not a damn thing out of the tach. The bike has sat under a cover for the past five days or so due to the wonderful Seattle-esque weather around here.

I've checked: All wiring to the tach (all fine, no breaks, rubs or corrosion), ohmed and tested for continuity at the tach itself (meter moves, nothing from the tach itself) with the bike running and not running, all grounds intact, all connectors intact. I'm running out of things to check and am about to call it DOA. Any ideas?

I'm just wondering how it could be put away functioning and reappear not functioning.

-Randy

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
Tach question
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2005, 09:08:56 PM »
Me to bro! :stickpoke:
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline tomacGTi

• Board Homesteader!
Tach question
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2005, 10:15:02 PM »
Guess I'm not the only one with a dead tach. What an unexplainable PIA...

Has anyone tried the Acewell-meter one?

http://www.acewell-meter.com/

It would be neat to just have one thing in the middle rather than a cluster/indicators. I think BanditMania carries them but there's got to be someone in the US.

-Randy

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Tach question
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2005, 10:25:30 PM »
Take a AA battery and connect it to the tach and see if the needle moves. It should move up to 6 or 7k. If the needle doesn't move then I'd guess that the solder from the winding as come unattached. You can take the entire bucket apart, buts a PIA to get that chrome off and on...

Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline tomacGTi

• Board Homesteader!
Tach question
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2005, 12:26:20 AM »
Sweet!

Since SE PA has now made it's impression of Seattle for the next WEEK (rain through Sunday, it's been raining since Friday), I'll pull the tach down and apart.

Why not try to fix it, it's already broken anyway.

Thanks man!

-Randy

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Tach question
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2005, 12:41:18 AM »
Quote from: "tomacGTi"
Sweet!

Since SE PA has now made it's impression of Seattle for the next WEEK (rain through Sunday, it's been raining since Friday), I'll pull the tach down and apart.

Why not try to fix it, it's already broken anyway.

Thanks man!

-Randy

Check all the connections first. Then try feeding power directly to the tach. Taking the whole thing a part isn't fun.

If you have to take it a part, be carefully removing that chrome ring from the white plastic bucket. I think I ended up removing it, by placing the white plastic bucket in a vise and squeezing it, while pulling up on the ring. In order to put it back together I had to dremel part of the bucket off. I can take some more pics of parts if you have any questions...
Mike

'91 GSF400

Offline tomacGTi

• Board Homesteader!
Tach question
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2005, 01:30:42 AM »
I took a meter to the plugs on the tach side with the bike running. Got voltage to change with rev on the signal wire and no response from the tach itself while revving the bike. I also traced the wires back to the CDI and no breaks or rubs. I even put voltage (about 4.5v) to the signal wire/ground of the tach, no joy from the needle.

Interfuse, I'm thinking that the wire may be broken inside the tach as you described. It becomes more believeable when you have it taken apart and you can see how small the windings are in the pics.

I'd love more pics if you've got them. I'm sure this will help out more folks as well, just poking around BikeBandit, a new tach is $300 or so dollars and damn near impossible to find on EBeg.

-Randy

Offline tomacGTi

• Board Homesteader!
Tach question
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2005, 01:21:55 PM »
Well I took the tach apart this morning since it was just plain crappy out and I found that the thing wasn't working due to spider webs. Yes, spider webs...

Apparantly I should have thought more about it when one day while I was on the bike, a spider had crawled into the tach face and was dodging the needle as it swept past. When I opened it up and placed voltage to the red and black wires, the needle moved only to about 2000 rpms. I decided to manually sweep the needle and it broke the egg sac enough so that the spring could allow the needle full range.

After cleaning out the remains of spidey, the tach swung out to 7500-8k with 1.5v as indicated by interfuse and all was well. Reassembled and reinstalled and tested: bingo, the tach works once again.

Some helpful hints to people who want to take the tach apart:

-All you need are a 4mm, flathead screwdriver (more on that later), and a phillips screwdriver.

-An easier way to get the the back of the cluster to get to the tach is to remove the headlight via the four 4mm bolts holding the bracket to the fork tubes. This allows the entire headlight assembly to tilt down far enough to get to the three 4mm screws securing the tach assembly to the rest of the cluster. Enough access even with a flyscreen attached.

-You have to pry the chrome bezel off of the white plastic barrel around its perimeter. This will more than likely distort the bezel enough to be noticeable since it is so thin and stamped shut. Take your time and you will minimize the destruction. Do not pry too hard as you will split the housing and be really SOL.

-Make sure you clean your prints off of the guage face and the inside of the glass before you put it back together. Yes they will show up and it will piss you off. This isn't a job that you really want to do twice for a stupid reason.

-Before reassembly, you can smooth the "dents" in the bezel by crimping with a small set of pliers. This will minimize the distortion to the metal as it is easily seen where  the bezel meets the chrome outer surround of the tach. You can "reseal" the bezel around the barrel by tapping the metal down with a plastic mallet gently. This will at least recreate the peening over that the factory does to secure the bezel back onto the plastic barrel. Make sure you support the face on a couple of rags before so that you don't flatten the curves or break the glass.

That's it! Hope it helps a couple of folks out. I decided to do this as my tach wasn't working and may have needed replacement anyway. Total time: about an hour.

-Randy

Offline Maniac

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.bikepics.com/members/plan9/93bandit400/
Tach question
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2005, 01:28:53 PM »
See, I knew my hatred of spiders wasn't totally irrational!

Does this classify as needing the dancing 'nanner? I believe it does!

:banana:  :banana:

Congrats on getting it fixed, and thanks for the writeup on how to go about doing it.  :beers:

2008 GSXR-750

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Tach question
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2005, 09:08:27 PM »
Well I took the tach apart this morning since it was just plain crappy out and I found that the thing wasn't working due to spider webs. Yes, spider webs...

Glad you got her working again.

Total time: about an hour.

You pulled it off quicker then I did. I remember it taking me the better part of an afternoon. What a pain, but it beats forking over $100's on a new tach.
Mike

'91 GSF400

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
Tach question
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2005, 10:02:54 PM »
:bigok:  :banana:  :beers:

Nicely done!
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD