Author Topic: 2G "S" headlamp upgrade  (Read 73246 times)

Offline scooter69

• Board Homesteader!
2G "S" headlamp upgrade
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2005, 12:38:44 PM »
Thanks for the pics Bazza.

Did you end up putting on dual Hi's?

Has anyone thought of having dual lows & hi's like on some other sports? Double the light all the time..... :bouncy:

:beers:

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
2G "S" headlamp upgrade
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2005, 11:19:01 PM »
Quote from: "Bazza"
I am curious to hear from thos who have removed the blockers from their bikes if they get a lot of flashing from oncoming cars?

I only have ~40 minutes of dark time on my bike since I removed the blockers and put in the 9011/9012 bulbs. No one flashed me in that 40 minutes of moderate (by city definition, it would be heavy by my island's definition) though.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Bazza

• Board Homesteader!
2G "S" headlamp upgrade
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2005, 02:33:01 AM »
Quote from: "scooter69"

Has anyone thought of having dual lows & hi's like on some other sports? Double the light all the time..... :bouncy:

Hey Scooter:

I am considering using two Hella high beam units on my Bandit. (This would be easy to do)

I am still playing in the garage with all the possible combinations.

Don't worry i will post some pictures!

Offline Bazza

• Board Homesteader!
2G "S" headlamp upgrade
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2005, 01:56:57 AM »
Here is the difference between the I.R bulbs in a Bandit (with the blockers in) and the Hella Units.

While it may be tough to tell with these pictures, the Hella units were definetly brighter. I had two witnesses and eveyerone agreed that the Hella units put out a clearer, brighter and wider light pattern.

I will be going with the hella units and may consider going with two high beam units (This will be as annoying to other drivers as removing the blockers out of the stock units)

Here is the IR Low Beam Bulb

Click here.

Here is the Hella Low Beam Unit.

Click here.

Here is the I.R High Beam bulb in the Bandit

Click here.

Here is the Hella high beam unit. (Note: I was not aiming this as high as the IR bulb)

Click here.

Offline Bazza

• Board Homesteader!
2G "S" headlamp upgrade
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2005, 05:32:28 PM »
It appears my phot links won't work!

Offline Daytona

• Board Homesteader!
2G "S" headlamp upgrade
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2005, 01:30:49 AM »
I was just wondering why! I have probs with em too at times.  :beers:

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
2G "S" headlamp upgrade
« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2005, 06:00:39 PM »
It appears my phot links won't work!

It's because they don't end with .jpg, .gif, .tif
They must end in a recognized picture file extension or they won't show.

Many sites don't allow their pics to be hotlinked - and MSN & Yahoo were some of the first to do that.

That's why we recommend sites like Photobucket for places to put pics you want to share on the board.

BTW - I edited your post to convert your pics to clickable links and deleted the links out of Daytona's post since they were so long they were stretching the screen so you'd have to scroll L-R to read posts.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Bazza

• Board Homesteader!
2G "S" headlamp upgrade
« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2006, 06:02:07 AM »

Well guys after much debate I decided to go with the low/high Hella unit conversion. I took the hella units & wired them up and then stood back. The high beam unit would be pretty blinding to oncomong traffic so I thought I had better go the "legal" route for safety's sake.

I got down to the point of no return part where I must cut the stock brackets, and although I had just consumed a very fine bottle of Australian red (nothing more courageous than a drunken canuck) comon sense told me to wait until tomorrow.

I will do some comparison picts once I am done with stock vs Hella.

Offline Snubnose

• Board Homesteader!
  • Cos For why?
2G "S" headlamp upgrade
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2006, 10:50:49 PM »

Well guys after much debate I decided to go with the low/high Hella unit conversion. I took the hella units & wired them up and then stood back. The high beam unit would be pretty blinding to oncomong traffic so I thought I had better go the "legal" route for safety's sake.

I got down to the point of no return part where I must cut the stock brackets, and although I had just consumed a very fine bottle of Australian red (nothing more courageous than a drunken canuck) comon sense told me to wait until tomorrow.

I will do some comparison picts once I am done with stock vs Hella.

Geez Baz, Youve had some time to tinker I see!, Glad you are my Beta test pilot, Let me know what your findings are and what ends up being the best overall, And I'll go with it too! (Thanks to your sweat and tears) :thanks:
SNUBNOSE, Alberta, Canada
2003 B12S - Silver
Stock 06' pipe
3 shims on each needle
Zero gravity SR
Sw Motech rear rack - V46 Top case
PAIR Block off Kit
Salamander Bar Ends
007 special license plate feature ;)

We are not what we think we are, We are not what others think, but rather, we are what we think others think we are!

Offline scooter69

• Board Homesteader!
2G "S" headlamp upgrade
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2006, 11:15:43 AM »
So Bazza...any news as of yet???? I'm anxious to know how it works....

Offline Bazza

• Board Homesteader!
2G "S" headlamp upgrade
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2006, 10:18:37 PM »
I am sealing up the headlight unit tonight so if I have enough time, I may have some photo's for you all next weekend.

Offline scooter69

• Board Homesteader!
2G "S" headlamp upgrade
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2006, 12:11:11 PM »
So Bazza...what's the word????

Offline RowdyRed94

• Board Regular!
    • http://cabuhs.net/bandit.htm
2G "S" headlamp upgrade
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2006, 01:22:41 AM »
Yeah, I'm curious.   :wink:

Offline Bazza

• Board Homesteader!
Interesting discovery
« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2006, 10:19:04 PM »
Hey Guys:

While tinkering tonight in the garage I discovered something very interesting regarding the B-12's headlamp wiring. It is undersized.

Hooking up my volt meter to both the low & high headlight wiring I got a reading of 12.5 volts on either side. (The bike was not running) When I attached the old light units up & took another reading, with the lights in operation, I got 10.5 volts on the low side & 9.2 volts on the high side.

This explains the poor visibility with the stock headlights (black dust aside of course). According to the chart below, if your getting only 70-80% of the voltage required, the brightness of your headlights drops as much as 50%!!!!

I will be installing new wiring & relays with the Hella units.

Offline scooter69

• Board Homesteader!
2G "S" headlamp upgrade
« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2006, 10:56:02 PM »
Baaza you are the man!

Please let me know this turns out....I'd certainly try this before sinking in some serious $$$ and messing it all up.