Author Topic: Bandit 600 K1> Shock Replacements  (Read 12057 times)

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Bandit 600 K1> Shock Replacements
« on: March 12, 2005, 12:04:31 AM »
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
chis33
(8/31/04 12:45 pm)

New to the board here - apologies if this has already been answered elsewhere, but does anyone have a list of alternative shocks which will fit the new model 2000> Bandit 600's?
I'm looking to find a preferably rebuildable shock as a definate upgrade to the existing - all without shelling out multiple hundred quid.

I've read a few posts suggesting the Hayabusa shock - but only for the old model bandits, and I gather there may be a few differences with the new bandits. Any experts on the new shape B6's out there?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Red01SuziB12S
(8/31/04 2:14 pm)
Re: Bandit 600 K1> Shock Replacements

Actually, the Hayabusa shock is a better fit for your 2G B6 than it is for the 1G. It will still raise the tail ~1.5" or so (more on the 1G). You will have to some minor shaving on the airbox to give the Busa shock clearance. These shocks are pretty cheap if you look for take-offs on E-bay or boards where Busa owners hang out. Check out the B12 areas for more details.

Paul W
Ampster  
(8/31/04 2:37 pm)
Re: Bandit 600 K1> Shock Replacements

The Busa shock is common used on the 2G B12.

For the B6, The rear shock that I know of that is tried and tested is the Progressive 420 series. I know that there are others that have been used out there. But, Dale Walker has actually spent R&D on this.

In the US, Dale Walker tests/builds/verifies mods specifically for the Bandits. Click on the link for his website:

http://www.holeshot.com

Here's the direct link to his Suspension page:

http://www.holeshot.com/bandit/bndt_progressive.shtml
Chris "Ampster" A
Red01SuziB12S
(8/31/04 2:56 pm)
Re: 2G Bandit 600 Shock Replacements

Nothing personal againt the Progressive - or any of the other aftermarket shocks, but the guy does seem to be interested in an improvement on the cheap, and a good, used Busa shock is cheap - and they are rebuildable. The Progressive is probably the cheapest aftermarket shock available in the US, but in the UK, the Hagon might be cheaper. (Don't know much about the Hagon other than they seem to be popular with the UK crowd on SUKBOG when I was reading their board.) The Busa shock will fit the 2G B6, it'll just raise the tail a little more than it does on a B12. My Busa shock lifted the tail of my 2G B12 ~1.25", so I'm just guessing that ~1.5" is the amount of lift to expect for a B6. The center stand should still be useable - barely - and the tail lift will not make the steering so quick as to be unstable and/or headshake prone. Before my Busa shock, I had tail lifting dogbones that had my tail at ~1.5". I went back to stock dogbones with the Busa shock because to leave the lift bones in with the longer Busa shock would probably be too much of a lift - and the centerstand would certainly be unuseable... and I didn't want to give that up.

Paul W
chis33
(9/1/04 5:32 am)

Thanks for that!

Paul you certainly have me sussed - "the guy does seem to be interested in an improvement on the cheap". Hagon shocks seem to be the favourite route here in the UK but they come in at £255 - about the same as the Progressive shocks. Will check out the 'busa shock though. Would like to keep the centrestand for convenience, but I'm all for a bit of spannering .
Would be interested to hear from anyone else who has done this mod & how they have it set up. If I can get a 'busa shock for a decent price I'll give it a go.
Will let you know how it goes
chis33
(9/16/04 10:24 am)

Well Paul & Chris - thanks for all your help. The 'busa shock is in. All resistance from corroded nuts was futile and a spot of dremel action did the trick.

The rear wheel just brushes the ground - so the centrestand is useable, but you need a little bit more clearance to turn the wheel comfortably.

The ride is "firm" to say the least - but I have to nip back tonight to check the static sag and correct the preload, but a quick ride up and down the road suggests a far better shock. Cool, rear end up looks, and a far superior shock for a fraction of the cost of a Hagon rear. With 15wt oil in the forks and progressive springs in the front it feels like a brand new bike!
Red01SuziB12S
(9/16/04 3:13 pm)

Glad to hear you like the budget fix!  

Paul W
LanceArmstrong
(9/22/04 3:45 pm)

Wait a minute... the back of the bike is raised up 1.5" after install of the 'Busa shock? Doesn't that raise the center of gravity and cause other handling issues?

I guess if you're riding 2 up, it might make sense, but seems to me to be trading one problem for another.
Red01SuziB12S
(9/22/04 7:39 pm)

Yes, it alters CG, but not enough that I've noticed any issues. It does offer more footpeg clearance when you're railin' the corners. It also makes the handling a tad quicker, which could make headshake & tankslappers happen a little easier, but I've never had any issue with that either. The only headshakes I've ever had were induced by the crappy stock Macadam 90X front tire that starts cupping as soon as you start riding the bike off the lot.

Paul W
LanceArmstrong
(9/22/04 10:07 pm)

Funny, but in my feeble mind I was thinking that having the arse-end up higher would make the head angle ever so steeper, quickening the steering a bit. I guess your experience confirms it.

I would think the 'Busa shock upgrade would be particularly good for folks who tour with luggage or ride two up.
chis33
(9/24/04 4:41 am)

Can definately confirm the setups suitability for two-up. Haven't tried it yet with my 6' 10" friend who squats on the back on occasion - no don't laugh - but with regular passengers and decent adjustment there's no more bottoming out. I've a hugger fitted to the rear and it hasn't touched the undertray since the shock went in.

The CG has moved slightly, but to me the bike feels more positive. It feels like I'd really need to push the handling to discover any problems. I guess it comes down to riding style in the end. Maybe to be safe I should invest in a steering damper - but with a damper on a Bandit 6, one might seem a little overdressed!
Red01SuziB12S
(9/24/04 7:39 pm)

I would hold off on a steering damper unless you experience some headshake.

Paul W
zoomyhunter
(9/25/04 12:48 pm)

I have a Penske on my b6. It has adjustable ride height which I have cranked way up. It's not really an issue with the bandits from all the people I've talked to on this board, whether it's from a different shock, altered dogbones, or adjustable shock(I think I'm the only one). The bandit was set up from the get-go with slightly pedestrian rake/trail anyways, remember it's not a supersport, if I changed a gsxr this much I might have troubles. I do get headshake now if I'm on a bumpy road and let go of the bars but the improvement in handling is far superior and at no point does the bike ever feel shakey with even just one hand.

JoeyNineToes
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)