Author Topic: Brake Pads  (Read 9069 times)

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Brake Pads
« on: March 11, 2005, 10:52:49 PM »
Brake Pads
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
thestudiokid
(10/15/03 11:59 pm)
Brake Pads

Hi all,
El Guapo (my '02 Bandit) is going to be needing new pads all the way around within the next 1k - 1.5k miles which leads me to my questions:

What brands are favorable? Those to steer clear of?

Has anyone used sintered (sp?) pads? I know these can overstress rotors and wear them more quickly. Are they worth it?

All input is welcome.

Mark in Cali  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Red01SuziB12S
(10/16/03 2:11 am)
Re: Brake Pads

I have Galfer HH pads up front and bought Galfer stock style pads for the rear, but the OEM ones are still in good shape right now, so the rears haven't been changed yet. The fronts work GREAT! I've also heard good things about the EBC & Ferodo pads. I went with the Galfer's because they were on sale and cheaper than the EBC's which are usually the least expensive aftermarket pads.

Paul W

Tacoman
(10/16/03 12:31 pm)
pads

I've heard good things about the Galfers, I've had good luck with EBC, both for pads and clutch plates. These shouldn't eat your rotors either.

zoomyhunter
(3/21/04 11:48 am)
Re: pads

I just installed my new SS front brake lines last night and new black compound pads too. They were a "kit" from galfer. I have a question though. I bled the brakes using a mityvac kit but I seem to get some sepige from the base of the bleed screw, and I know its tighter then when I broke it free. Is this normal after bleeding? Also, I don't know if I bled them right, as in, when do you stop? Thanks in advance.

JoeyNineToes

racer1735
(3/21/04 3:07 pm)
Re: pads

I'm with Paul on this one. Went with Galfer HH on the front and standard compound on the rear. Also, if you haven't already, put on some steel brake lines while you're at it. Check out www.cyclebrakes.com for great service and prices. They usually run some decent specials.

Red01SuziB12S
(3/22/04 4:47 am)
Brake bllers and bleeding

Zoomy, seepage around the bleeders is not normal!
If you're sure it's not residual mess left over from bleeding, you need to fix it! A little teflon tape on the bleeders is OK, just be sure it doesn't block the port.

As for when you stop bleeding... when you don't get any air and you have a firm feel in the brake lever.

Since air always seeks the high point, you can get rid of any little bits left over by fixing up the brake lever to stay applied overnight. The air will migrate up to the master cylinder reservior, where it is harmless. Just be sure you disconnect the battery or remove the tail light bulbs or you'll run the risk of a dead battery.

Paul W

B12Teuton
(3/22/04 9:35 am)
Re: Brake bllers and bleeding

I need pads too. 19,000 miles on the originals.
What's considered a "good" price??
Manny

RLWEST
(3/24/04 2:46 pm)

I had quite an interesting time with My Rear Brake Squealing Like Crazy last year. Ended up putting SBS "Street Ceramics" on there; Dennis Kirk P/N 19-771 - $28 + shipping.

RLWEST

08slueth08
(4/5/04 6:17 pm)

I love the new sintered metal pads in the hh compound. Perfect pads for a perfomance street bike. They are harder on the rotors than an organic pad, but thats the price you pay for a wide temp range in which they work, great initial bite, great wet performance, and long lasting. In my experience out of all the sintered metal pads on the market, EBC has the strongest initial bite, but are also the hardest on the rotors. For the record i believe the stock pads are sintered metal.

B12Teuton
(4/16/04 11:16 am)

I'm going by Marietta Motorsorts on my way home today to buy pads. I think I want the EBC HH sintered pads.
Two questions:

What have you all paid for pads? MarMo wants $68 front and $23 rear. Rear seems ok, but front seems like a lot!

When everyone says they are hard on the rotors..... how hard? Are my rotors going to be shot by the time the pads wear out?? Right now they basically look new.

Manny

zoomyhunter
(4/16/04 12:55 pm)

$68 for four or two?

JoeyNineToes

B12Teuton
(4/16/04 1:37 pm)

two left, two right

Manny

B12Teuton
(4/16/04 10:05 pm)

Well it's done, along with a good old fashioned bleeding.

I got the EBC HH pads for the front and the regular "organic" pads for the rear, based on the recommendation of my buddy at Marietta Motorsports. Made sense too: It's easy and BAD to over brake the rear on a bike. It's hard to under brake and OK if you do. Seemed like a good way to keep myself out of trouble. Especially since I have had the rear wheel off the ground approaching corners on more than a few occasions.

Install went fine, but I had a hell of a time getting the rear pistons back into the caliper. Not sure why, but I guess I'll rebuild the calipers next winter. Use that opportunity to toss on some braided steel lines.

Manny

zoomyhunter
(4/17/04 7:23 am)

I finally got in my SS line for the back brake yesterday and immediately put it on. I also had hella time getting the caliper back on. I had to use a screwdriver to wedge the two sides apart, front were bad too but not as bad. Everything else was easy. I think it is just the brake design Manny.

JoeyNineToes

needmoreridetimer
(4/17/04 8:27 am)
Watch Them HH Pads

Manny,

when you dump the originals, be ready for the 2-finger spueeze effect. Those HH pads will have you on your head! I use Ferodo's new Sintergrip STs and they're excellent. I paid $76 for the front so your price is right.

Marc
'99 Nissins

Bantana
(4/18/04 5:26 pm)
Brake bllers and bleeding

Manny,
I went by Marmo last week for ebc kevlar pads at
$63.00. I chose the kevlar to replace the HH's as I had a little problem on a three day rainy weekend where I couldn't get enough heat into the HH's to brake effectively. They came on very late and were unpredictable in the wet. Otherwise the HH's were outstanding.

B12Teuton
(4/19/04 8:31 am)

OK, I realize I'm just bedding these in, but HOLLY STOPPING, BATMAN!!  
Makes me realize how crappy the OE pads were. It finally stops like it should!
Haven't ridden in wet yet, but I thought part of the thing with the HH pads was that they work better in all temps and in the wet. At least that's what the package says

Lloyd, are you saying that they were too "grabby" in the wet?
I did notice they had a lot of initial bite.
Manny

hotdog
(4/19/04 8:43 pm)
HH

Yeah, wait till you get the steel lines (two, without the splitter). Now you be stoppin!

Unfortunately, I've been soaked a few times, no problem. Here in the great NW we do get wet now & then. No signs of any excessive or uneven wear either.

Steve
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)