Author Topic: Front Brake Lines  (Read 9224 times)

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Front Brake Lines
« on: March 11, 2005, 10:59:22 PM »
Front brake lines
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q: Anybody running dual (one line from each caliper to the master cylinder) braided brake lines on the front of a Gen1 B6? I already have the rear replacement line and am getting ready to get the front lines. I have taller than stock handlebars so I can't order a kit for the bandit. I will have to order universal lines but I'm not sure how long I need. If any of you are using dual lines and wouldn't mind taking a couple of measurements it would sure help me out. I can add a few inches to your length and compare that to my current lines and should be okay. Also, are your right and left lines the same length? Also, where did you use zip ties to restrain the lines to keep them off of the paint or other parts? While you're at it, any suggestions for brake pads? Thanks
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Red01SuziB12S
(9/1/04 10:16 pm)
Re: front brake lines

I know Holeshot sells a dual line kit for the 1G B6 (click here) - but I don't know if it is long enough to accomodate taller bars, and if so, how much taller, but I'm sure if you contacted Dale, he would help you out.

I think the EBC, Galfer and Ferodo HH type pads are all good and would personally go for whatever was the cheapest. I found & bought some Galfer HH pads for my B12 on sale at the local CycleGear for a price less than EBC, which is usually the price leader.

Paul W
Ampster  
(9/2/04 12:08 am)

I use dual lines. Got rid of the "T." And I also use Gen Mar risers and my SS brake lines are still slack.

I ordered the whole 2 front/rear kit from a friend in the UK from HEL.

Chris "Ampster" A
folma
(9/2/04 5:41 am)

If you can get them GOLDFREN make great pads, been using them now for 25 thousand miles, on second set now. Ceramic units, in one word, brilliant. The good woman is a convert to them as well.

NCbandit600
(9/2/04 10:35 pm)

I've got Goodridge (I think!) dual lines on my 1GB6. They look to be around 790mm long, but it's hard to tell for sure with them installed.

If I had it to do over I think I'd stick with the three-line set up just so I'd have one less banjo on the bars. It's kinda crowded anyway an losing another ~15mm doesn't help.

ncbandit600
Mathew J
(2/18/04 11:28 am)
What type of OEM Brake Pads I need? Organic or HH sintered??

Hi all: I own a 2001 bandit 600s. It is time to replace my front and rear brake pads (I have 28000 miles). My manual does not tell me what kind of pads I should use.
Any inputs are appreciated. Thanks!
Red01SuziB12S
(2/18/04 10:58 pm)
Re: What type of OEM Brake Pads I need? Organic or HH sinter

Organics will be like stock replacements.
HH's are an upgrade (ie; more stopping power).

Paul W
'zoomyhunter' Can only count to 19...even with his shoes off!
(2/13/04 11:03 pm)
Re: Brake Upgrades

I'm curious as to what others have done about our shitty OEM brakes. I know the standard is steel lines, but has anyone done anything else? I'd like to go extreme without the associated costs, a set of radials off of a ZX6R would be cool if were easy enough. Anyone know if we can put 2001+ B12 brakes onto a 2k b6? It'd be a start, hell, a major improvement. Brembo and AP make calipers for the B12 but I've found nothing for the B6, I'm still looking though.

Joey Nine Toes
Red01SuziB12S
(2/13/04 11:31 pm)

The B12 calipers won't fit on the B6 fork leg fittings. You could put a B12 front end on your B6 to cure that though. The six pot Tokiko calipers on the 2G B12's are pretty good - don't think you'd need to go with Brembos. (The 2G B12 six pots will bolt up to the 1G B12's 4 pot mounts. The six potters are the same as those used on several Suzuki & Kawasaki race reps just before they all went to radial calipers.)

Paul W

'zoomyhunter' Can only count to 19...even with his shoes off!
(2/13/04 11:53 pm)

Could it be fixed with some sort of mounting plate? I have access to machinists right now, for free more or less, but only for another year or so. I was looking at putting a 2001+ GSXR750 triple clamp on my bike with aftermarket forks eventually but getting the triple clamp now to have it machined for "eventually", i.e. Ohlins R&T forks. Yes, I do dream alot(Marchesini wheels at the end of forks). I have a vision for my bike, more or less, and am trying to get it where it needs to be for that "vision".

Joey Nine Toes
Red01SuziB12S
(2/14/04 6:04 am)

I'm sure if you're willing to fab parts, just about anything is possible... but keep in mind these bigger/better calipers are clamping on larger diameter rotors, too.
Paul W

PeteSC
(2/14/04 8:11 am)

Hey, Joey......
I'd stick with better pads, and stainless braided brake lines.
If you get too creative, it may be hard to sell the bike, plus you may never get your $$ back.
Try the pads and lines first....you may be surprised!

'zoomyhunter' - Can only count to 19...even with his shoes off!
(2/14/04 11:10 am)

I'm starting to go too far to every get my money back. True I can pull the shock off and sell it on ebay but as it is, I'm not planning on selling the bandit, no reason to in my mind. When I get another bike, I'm keeping the bandit. Anyways, what pads would you recommend?

Joey Nine Toes
PeteSC
(2/14/04 11:50 am)

The HH sintered types seem to be the hot item.
I think they're a couple of brands that people like...EBC, is one.

I've got a set to put on my bike, as well as some new lines....when it's not raining, and I have time!
The pads and brakeline upgrades are the easiest....and cheapest, and are something you'd probably do even if you upgraded your rotors and discs.

I've been wanting to replace my lines, and since the OEM stuff is now five years old, seems time to do it, anyway!

Red01SuziB12S
(2/14/04 3:42 pm)

The HH sintered types seem to be the hot item.
I think they're a couple of brands that people like...EBC, is one.

Galfer and Ferodo are a couple others.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)