Author Topic: Front End Wobbles  (Read 10019 times)

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Front End Wobbles
« on: March 11, 2005, 10:56:11 PM »
Front End Wobbles
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
aussiebandit
(4/21/03 5:06 am)
All  front end wobbles

I've got a 2002 bandit 1200s, bought from new. The only problem I have is that when you take both hands of the 'bars the front end starts to wobble and ends in a nasty tank slapper (if I let it go that far). I've tried different tyre pressures, different front end preloads, I've had the local dealer check the steering head adjustment. The only thing left that I can think of is the tyre itself, but as it's probably still got a lot of life in it yet I'm a bit reluctant to change it just yet.

Any ideas.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
B12Teuton
(4/21/03 7:55 am)
Re: front end wobbles

You are correct.
My '01 had the same thing....until I got rid of the POS Macadams.

The front tire is just a bad design. They work ok and last long (I got 9500 miles), but it's not worth the hassle.

I put Metzeler M-1 Sportec's on and LOVE 'em.

Red01SuziB12S
(4/21/03 9:27 am)

Yup, Teuton speaks the truth. The OEM Macadam 90 is notorious for this trait. Look carefully at the front tire tread and you will probably see that it is cupping. I lived with mine that way until the back tire needed replacement (you'll probably get a shudder under hard front braking, too). I replaced my OEM tires with Bridgestones - a BT010 up front and a BT020 in the rear. I've got ~8K on the 'Stones now and they will need to replaced soon and the 010 has just started to show a little cupping, too - but IMHO, it's OK since it's about worn out anyway. The Mac 90 was a POS after only ~1K miles.

Paul W

rlecar
(4/22/03 2:11 pm)
Front end wobbles

My 02 B12S did the same thing. The M90s lasted 6000 miles and I replaced them with Bridgestone BT020s. The wobble went away, for a while. The BT020s are shot 2600 miles later (rear all the way through the tread) and the wobble is back.

I am having Michelin Pilot Roads put on this week.

Bandit600X2
(4/23/03 12:17 am)
Re: Front end wobbles

Another cure for this which will help a lot is a Holeshot steering damper. The wobble you are experiancing is a trait of the 2G Bandits and the Mac tires don't help.

Bill

B12Teuton
(4/23/03 9:09 am)
Re: Front end wobbles

I now have over 5k miles on the front M-1 and it's pretty much shot. There is still some center tread, but the sides are down to almost no tread. The wobble never came back, even with the forks raised nearly an inch.

B12Steve
(7/24/03 11:46 am)

My SK2 B12 has bad front end wobbles at 4000 miles and is getting worse. On advice from a UK owner (I am also in UK) I have suggested to the dealer that he replace the headbearings under warranty (although there is no notchiness etc., they seem OK). This other UK rider says he got his replaced with the 2001 bearings, and his wobbles went away. I am still waiting to hear back from my dealer, he says he is 'waiting for the parts to come in'. Interestingly, the microfilm in the shop showed different part numbers for the head bearings on the 02 and 03 bandits - do Suzuki know there is a problem?
I will keep this group informed of my progress.
My macadams are 'cupped' at the front edges slightly, but I fail to see how this can affect steering in a straight line (i.e. upright).

As an aside, I intend to replace the macadams with pilot roads when they wear down a bit more, as a compromise between grip and longevity.

Red01SuziB12S
(7/24/03 12:17 pm)

Steve, did your B12 come with the Macadam 90X or the 100X? Cupping was a problem with the 90X fronts on many different bikes that came with them, not just the B12's. The 100X was supposed to cure that, but I haven't heard of anyone reporting on the 100X and if there was any success.

Is your head shake only at lower speeds - like 35 MPH and below? Do you feel a pulse in the front brake lever when you apply the brakes? I had both of those experiences with my 90X front and it all magically disappeared when I replaced the tires with Bridgestones. It started to reappear when the front tire got ~9K on it (BT010) and then disappeared again when the 'Stones were replaced with Pilot Roads.

Paul W

B12Steve
(7/24/03 12:32 pm)

Paul,

My bike came with Mac 90s on it. Its an 02 model, but was only registered in April this year (I got a good deal on it!).

I have no pulsing on the brakes, the headshake is worst at 40-60 mph. I am under the impression that over 60 mph the centrifugal forces of the wheel is somehow keeping things under control. The wobble only used to be a concern if I took my hands off the bars, but now it feels like there is something 'broken' or not working in the suspension/chassis at the front if I corner on rough surfaces at these speeds.
The less weight over the front, the worse the sensation, i.e. with passenger + luggage I just can't use anywhere near full throttle exiting corners for fear of getting a 'slapper'.
When you say you got 9k from a front 010, I presume you mean kms? What did you get from the back? Do you like the pilot roads?

Red01SuziB12S
(7/24/03 1:09 pm)
Tire life

No, the 9K was miles... actually, the 'Stones came off as a pair at just shy of 10K miles and the front first started to cup at ~8K (just re-read my earlier post)  

FWIW - I seem to get more miles out of my tires than the average B12 rider that posts here, at Max-Suz or Sport-Touring.net... I get close to double what most people get. Could be because I rarely ride less than 50 miles at a whack, don't do burnouts, and ride fairly sane when I commute (partly due to heavy LEO patrols along my commute).

I lived with the terrible, cupped 90X front until it was time to put on a new rear (yes, I am a cheap bastage - I blame it on Scottish heritage) and I got just over 12K out those. It was like getting a new bike when I slipped the BT010 front and BT020 rear on! I've got ~2-2.5K miles on the Pilot Roads so far and it looks like they will last as long for me as the previous two sets of tires have (hopefully even more). If they'll last longer than the Mac's (and they supposedly will, according to the Michelin propaganda... err... advertising), then I will probably go with another set unless something else comes along that's better (treadlife wise). If they don't last any longer than the 'Stones, then I will probably go back to them as they handle slighty better than the Pilot Roads, IMO.

Paul W

hotdog
(7/25/03 10:03 pm)
Re: Tire life

My post above in "time for tires" applies here, maybe more so but I read up earlier and posted soon as I got home from work.

Still interested in feedback.

Steve

PeteSC
(7/25/03 10:21 pm)

I think Paul is inflating his tires with helium...or hisself...or both...

B12Teuton
(7/28/03 10:30 am)

I used to inflate myself with nitrous  
Manny

aussiebandit
(8/22/03 5:46 am)

I've just invested in a Metzler Sportec M1 for the front, and lo and behold, no more wobble. The front end feels a whole lot better in general. Next will be the rear.

B12Teuton
(8/22/03 9:00 am)

The rear will complete the package, but they wear very fast IMO. I loved the rear and almost bought another one, but since I only got aroung 3000 miles out of it I went with the MEZ4. Near 5000 on that tire and still a bunch of live left on it. I did get another M-1 front. Can't beat the feel and traction.
I'll get the new Metz Roadtec Z6 when the MEZ4 is done.

Glad to hear your wobble is fixed!
Manny

Johnny Monsooon
(9/20/03 4:59 pm)
Wobble gone!

I had that damn nasty wobble too. I think any front tire that has a non-alternating tread will be much better. I too fitted the bike with M1 sportecs, and the bike is solid, smooth, and stable. No hint of a wobble.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)