Author Topic: Horsepower Pondering  (Read 9992 times)

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Horsepower Pondering
« on: March 11, 2005, 11:52:23 PM »
Horsepower pondering
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 I was pondering a holeshot vortex can and a k&n airfilter and a jet kit when it hit me that if you added all that stuff you would have a bike that made nearly 130-135 horsepower with only intake and exhaust mods. Think about it the exhaust can is soupoused to add like 15hp right and the k&n another 10-15 not to mention the jet kit (don't know the hp diff on this one). That's up there with the yzf's and the gsxr's. Did I really add all that up right?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PeteSC
(8/31/02 11:50 pm)
Re: Horsepower pondering

Actually........stage one, plus a vortex, ignition advancer, K and N.......will get you around 115-120HP. (Properly tuned)
Stage 2 added to the above adds a few more.....stage 3 a few more to that.
I don' think you can get into the 135hp range without doing more serious internal stuff.......intake cams......etc.
Header sets will add a more HP...too.

The stage one combo is the most bang for the buck........easiest to live with!

B12Teuton
(9/1/02 8:10 am)
HP

It's hard to add all these mods up and determine which one gives you what. Thing is, all these mods only give the max, if they are applied and work TOGETHER. The can alone is probably the biggest improvement you can do itself, but the benefits of the can are increased when you add the intake/jetting mods.

It's a system where all parts work best together.

In terms of what you end up with, don't think about the total number of HP, but the fact that you might realize an increase of 20% or more!!

devildog0
(9/1/02 1:40 pm)
Re: HP

Thanks yall. I was just thinkin about gettin the can anyway. I think my Bandit kinda sounds like a blender when you ride it down low in the rpm range if you get higher it starts to sound good though.

Old Baldy
(9/1/02 11:57 pm)

If you're looking for some dyno charts for various stages of tune, then check Dale's site at www.holeshot.com

Old Baldy
'97 Bandit 1200
[link]http://communities.msn.com/OldBaldysBanditsite/baldysbandit.msnw[/link]

PeteSC
(9/2/02 12:21 am)

On my '99.......just adding the slipon and a K and N got me to 112 HP......but the response was real 'mushy'.
The Stage 1 Jet Kit, Ignition Advancer, and 2 inch mod got me up to 117.8.....and the throttle reponse was so much better.......amazingly better. I dont' really envision needing to squeeze another 10 or so HP out of it.
And yes....other than the slipon...I had a good, local. tuning shop do the work!

(Otherwise it would have lost hp!)

B12MHudson
(9/5/02 1:06 pm)

Mine's an '01. HS stage II kit. HS 17" S/O. Dyno 119.5 hp.
Of course, remember different dyno's will read slightly different. Another set of variables when using a dyno are: air temp, humidity, and altitude. .02
Ride Safe,
Mike

tripp1
(9/25/02 7:53 pm)
horsepower pondering

I did the same thing to my '00 1200 Bandit that you are thinking of doing. I went with the Holeshot Vortex, a stage 1 jet kit, and the k & n air filter. If you do them all at the same time, the increase in power will blow your mind. The Bandit is strong out of the box, all this stuff is just for bragging rights!!!

devildog0
(9/25/02 10:46 pm)
just the can

well with my income the way it is right now i'm thinkin' about just the can.

Bill Teller
(9/26/02 11:49 am)
B1200 mods

If you want bang for your buck get a jet set
from dennis kirk 1 size larger mains +.020 shims on needles About $20 total will make a definate difference. probably as much as the can w/ no jets
Luck Bill Teller

Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)