Author Topic: Modify B1200 for touring  (Read 10623 times)

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Modify B1200 for touring
« on: March 12, 2005, 12:00:17 AM »
Modify B1200 for touring
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 I am interested in any modifications for long distance comfort. I'm thinking mainly of helibars, a good windscreen,and maybe those lower fairings advertised at Dale Walker's Holeshot page. Also any options for larger gas tank? Any other suggestions? I have a '97 Bandit 1200S with Corbin seat. Any info/comments appreciated.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MileHi Bandit
(5/29/01 12:16 am)
Re: Modify B1200 for touring

I'm running a '00 B12 with Corbin, Helibars, SECDEM screen, Progessive shock/springs and Givi luggage... Stock tank... I figure I need abreak after 120-175 miles anyway...

Icentaur
(5/29/01 1:03 am)

Hey those are exactly the things I'm thinking of. Are you happy with the bars and the screen? My wrists get sore fairly quickly and I get bufetted(sp?) pretty good at speed with the stock stuff. Am also looking at the same suspension mods. I surewould like to hear from anyone out there who has any experience/comments on the lower fairing available.

MileHi Bandit
(5/29/01 9:02 am)

Yes the Helibars helps with the wrist thing...But you'll spend a lot of time at first tweaking them! The SECDEM reduced the buffeting a lot and has made me a very happy camper... The Corbin has literally saved my a$$. For a pre '01 Bandit 1200 the Progressive fork springs and rear shock are a must... One caveate... If you're around 200+ and plan on the luggage (full) and/or a passnager I would consider going from the 400/450 rated shock spring to the 500/550. Granted Progressive and DW keep saying the 400/450 is just fine... I have found that I have the preload crancked down over 2/3s the way (with just my fat a$$ on the bike). At first I thought the Givis were fugly (I still think the Wingrack is!), but they have grown on me. The bags are GREAT (but expensive) and the tubular mounting racks are functional don't nearly look as bad as the Wingrack with the bags off the bike! There are other products out there that could probably do just as good (or better) a job as the ones I chose, but these have proven themselves to work for me!

mhetrick
(6/15/01 2:34 pm)

Greets,

What are Helibars? Is there a website that I can see them on? I am looking for a more standard bar position for my B12.

I tried to find a bigger pic of your bike but could not. Do you have one posted?

Thanks,
Mike in Boise
99 B12

B12Larry
(6/15/01 11:36 pm)
Re: Helibars

http://www.Helibars.com

There is a good picture on the website.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)