Author Topic: P.A.I.R. Removal 101 by B12Teuton  (Read 10775 times)

Offline mike

• Board Homesteader!
P.A.I.R. Removal 101 by B12Teuton
« on: March 11, 2005, 08:36:50 PM »
The "P.A.I.R." system on my '01 B12 was beginning to be a P.I.A.
It consists of a network of hoses and a valve that blows air into the exhaust ports.  The idea is that the introduction of fresh air into the exhaust port would cause any un-burned fuel to burn off before exiting the muffler.  That's all fine and good, but I don't really care that much about it and the system's only function is to create clutter and complicate maintenance.
I saw that some Bandit tuners sold a P.A.I.R. removal kit.  When I looked at how little was included with the kit (and the asking price) I went ahead and made my own!

There are basically two steps here.  One is the removal of the system, which is easy!  Second is plugging up all the holes, which requires a little more doing.

So, first thing to do is take off the gastank and find the PAIR valve.  It's the thing hanging from the frame over the valve cover.
It's held on by one Allen bolt.  Remove it:

Now, there are 6 hoses on this thing and they all need to be removed.  One is a vaccume hose that attaches to the airbox at the lower right side.  It's the thick hose off the rear of the valve.  Remove it and cap the port in the airbox with a simple cap/plug:

Next, remove the four hoses that come off the side of the unit.  These go forward to the four exhaust ports:

Now use a 10mm wrench and/or driver to get at the nuts holding the metal PAIR tubes and flanges onto the front of the engine:

Last (and least) remove the small vaccume tube that is connected to the carb/fuel tank via this T connecter:

...and plug it!  (I used a dab of epoxy.  It was all I had handy and it worked great)

This is what you should now have:

Only thing left to do is close up the exhaust ports.  I used some flat stock steel I had left over from my Dog Bones 101.  Cut yourself four lengths to start out:

This is more or less what you need to make:

Mark and drill the first hole.  I then used the bolt that held the PAIR valve to the frame and one of the exhaust port nuts to connect the OE flange to the piece I was making:

This is how your second hole will be dead-nuts.  Drill, using the second hole in the flange to line up!
Once both holes are in, do a test fit:

If everything looks good, get out the grinder and and reduce the plate till it's got the right shape/size:

Lastly, you need to make sure everything seals.  Either make some gaskets from some generic gasket stock or use some liquid exhaust gasket sealer.
Bolt em on and make sure you let the sealer dry before you run the bike!!!

All done!