Author Topic: Rear brake disc question  (Read 8457 times)

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Rear brake disc question
« on: March 11, 2005, 11:37:51 PM »
Rear brake disc question
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kamzilla
(9/1/04 1:18 pm)
disc

Hey guys,

I've noticed that my rear break disc stays really hot after a ride, whereas my front is perfectly cool. I checked my pads, and it looks like it's still good...

Is this normal? Or should I change them?

Kamil
96 B6S
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tacoman
(9/1/04 1:29 pm)
disc

Heat is normal, lots of heat may be sticking pads or perhaps you're riding the rear brake. After a ride put the bike on the center stand and spin the rear wheel. There should be light drag from the chain but it should spin freely. If there's lots of drag, check your rear caliper, the piston may be slightly gummed up and not releasing right.
Kamzilla
(9/7/04 11:18 pm)
Re: disc

Thanks Tacoman! I adjusted the rear brake lever today and it seems to be better. I guess the pads were rubbing a little...

Now I'm thinking of upgrading my pads, front and rear. Any suggestions?

Kamil
96 B6S
Red01SuziB12S
(9/8/04 3:19 pm)
Re: disc

Don't need to upgrade the rear. You may have a hard time even finding upgraded rear pads anyway. If you want more from your back brake, just replace the rubber hose with a stainless one.

Any of the name brand HH pads up front will be a welcome addition though, as will stainless lines up there, too.

Paul
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)