Author Topic: Side Frame Covers Broken  (Read 8277 times)

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Side Frame Covers Broken
« on: March 11, 2005, 11:53:31 PM »
side frame covers broken
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 plug was fouled the other night, got new plugs as i was putting them in noticed that the side frame cover looked strange, checked and found that the plastic studs that pop into the the rubber bushing on the gas tank and the frame are broken off almost flush with the panels. any one else had a problem with this, they were not broken before the fall boss. checked them when i replaced the rear brake pads and had to get to the rear brake fluid reservoid. any one know of an epoxy the will stick them back in, and hold over time?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PeteSC
(11/6/02 2:04 pm)
Re: side frame covers broken

I broke one of the 'phallus' like things off when I took my side covers off to badly repaint them. 10 minute epoxy worked pretty well, although it shifted a bit while drying. I think I used Devcon. Mix up your batch, and try to tape down the 'thingy' after gluing.

It's holding up OK, not sure how permanent!
(Beats paying $130 for the panel!)

fondon
(11/6/02 5:38 pm)

got that right, can't figure why it broke, just my fat a$$ i guess. cause it is broke on both sides, so $130 x 2 = $260,
will try the epoxy. durn hate taking the tail section off, pain in the butt

PeteSC
(11/6/02 5:55 pm)

I think I stressed mine when I spread the side panels apart at the front to get to the airbox....instead of taking them off!
Someone mentioned drilling it out, and epoxying some wire inside the piece when I was trying to fix mine.

B12Larry
(11/6/02 11:31 pm)

More than likely it's just age and fatigue.Back in the old days they used to break on my old Honda panels but, those side panels were a heck of a lot cheaper then too.Epoxy or plastic weld is the only thing you can do short of replacement.BTW is it raining there Fondon?

fondon
(11/7/02 1:44 pm)

no but a lot of liquid sunshine was coming down at the time. they keet saying that we are in a drought, i would hate to see a really wet year. benn raing wet and dreardy for the last 2-3 weeks, pretty today though, was going to ride in but 38 deg, was a little to much this morning.

Doublenaughtspy
(11/11/02 11:31 pm)

It seems those studs are weak link. Mine broke at about 38k several months ago. Oh well. I just safety-wired mine to the holes. Not the prettiest fix, but it holds it on.

Good luck
'Spy

fondon
(11/12/02 8:46 am)

plastic weld, is working for now. just make sure that you prefit the parts, before applying the adhesive. also be very careful, the stuff seems to get everywhere you don't want it. and it is a real witch with a b to get off. i know! but everything looks as it should. also i may be a little rich in the jetting, there was a gap between the tank and both side panels, after the repair seems to have lost a small amount of power. maybe the airbox needs one more hole.

Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)