Author Topic: Spark Plugs  (Read 17084 times)

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Spark Plugs
« on: March 11, 2005, 09:16:56 PM »
http://www.banditalley.com/parts/sparkplugs.html

SPARK PLUG CROSS REFERENCE PART #'S:[/i][/u]

NGK JR9B / JR8B / JR10B
Autolite: 4143 / 4162
Bosch XR4CS
Champion: RA4HC / RA6HC

gap should be 0.6-0.7mm (0.024-0.028in)
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Spark Plugs
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2005, 09:17:24 PM »
Spark Plugs
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Never been a fan of NGK
Have used Champion for a while, but for the last few years have used Bosch in all of my vehicles and have been very happy with their quality and perfomance.

I am however having trouble finding them for my 2002 B12.

Cross reference charts do not seem to show the NGK JR7B

So what plugs do you use and how do you like them.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Red01SuziB12S
(2/17/03 10:14 am)
Re: Spark Plugs

I thought the NGK plug for the B12 was the JR9B (new NGK p/n 3188 ).

Here's the spark plugs for the B12 from other vendors:
(They cross-reference to the NGK JR9B/3188, not JR7B.)

AC Delco #8
Bosch XR4CS
Autolite 4143 (this is the plug Holeshot recommends - and it is made especially for the B12 motor.)
Champion L78C (I got a message from someone saying these were only $1.29 each at Pep Boys - and "work awesome.")

I've been running the Autolites for ~6K miles and have been pleased. They cost me ~$2.50/each from Schucks.

Paul W
Edited to add: Been running the Autolites now for >17K miles.  :thumbsup:  

Dave073
(2/17/03 2:58 pm)

My owners manual says the J7's. I have had them out and am pretty sure they were 7's but did not make note of it. It is under wraps for now but the Daytona 500 has always been a signal to me that spring is near.

Would like to use platinum plugs. Is there any reason not to on these engines? Autolites seem to work fine but they usually rust, where Champions and Bosch must be aluminium or stainless. They are out of sight on the Bandit so that may not be an issue unless the rust causes them to stick. But since we all pull our plugs much more than necessary I am sure that that will not be a problem either.

I only have 3,000km on the originals and will leave them in untill I burn off the stabil, then I would like to feed it some new plugs for the season.

BTW it is a Canadian 2002 B12S

Red01SuziB12S
(2/17/03 4:28 pm)

I haven't noticed a problem with the Autolites rusting on my B12, but they are well protected in the deep wells of the valve cover with the rubber boots on top. I also don't ride in wet conditions much. I have noticed the rust problem with Autolites and AC Delcos on cars I've owned. With only 3K on your clock, your plugs should still be fine. I didn't swap mine out until the 7500 mile (12K km) service.

AFAIK there's no platinum plug available for the B12 - at least there wasn't last year when I changed mine.

I just looked at the parts list for the 2001 B12 (US version) and it shows NGK JR9B or JR10B for the plugs. Perhaps there was a change for '02 and/or Canada?

Paul W

Dave073
(2/18/03 10:39 am)

DUH!!!!! can't read my own handwriting they are 9's

Just could not stand it so went under the cover and took a look.

Strange no platinum, guess they don't figure we need a 160,000km plug, espesially if I change them every 3.

The plugs do look fine, a light tan colour indicating just a tad lean (no surprise there) BTW no hint of any oil burning.

Just figured it deserves a new set of pugs each season.

Thanks for setting me straight

Red01SuziB12S
(2/18/03 10:55 am)

No problemo!
Glad things got figured out! I couldn't think of any reason for a CDN model to be different than the rest of them.

Paul W

PeteSC
(3/2/03 5:19 pm)

Ordered the Autolite plugs on Thursday at the local Advance auto parts, they showed up at the local store on Saturday. Bought EIGHT for $11.79

Since my bike was neglected since the end of Sept., I drained the carbs, and put new plugs in. Damn thing fired right up...

Doublenaughtspy
(3/3/03 12:29 am)

Hmmmm, imagine that. It fired right up, eh? Just can't kill the damn things. I'd like to look into a new bike, but I told the wife I'd keep wear this one out before I jumped in the new-bike pond again. DOHHH! Not my brightest move.
C YA

cpyguy69
(3/3/03 3:13 am)
a 'plug' of my own

If you want the Bosch XR4CS, which work great in my bike, go to a BMW parts supplier. That plug is used by the M3 guys when they race. I paid $5/US per plug. I/m still waiting to see the 4 point plats in a 12mm size but I'm not holding my breath.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)