Author Topic: Touring set up help  (Read 9763 times)

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Touring set up help
« on: March 11, 2005, 11:54:45 PM »
Touring set up help
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Hi all,

I also posted this on ST.N site.

I'm planning to do a bit of touring this season on my new Bandit 12s and was hoping for some advice on a few things.

Just a little background, my previous bike was (is) the Volusia, a mid-sized cruiser. In trying to get comfortable, I ended up adding pullback risers. This caused me to have my stock seat modded because of the added pressure on the tailbone from sitting back more (because of the risers).

I plan on a few overnites this season and have already scheduled a weeks vaca where I will go from CT to NC.

I have been working on riding position, supporting myself with abs and back muscles and this helps alot. I can go 3 hours without major discomfort but wouldn't mind making it just a little better for touring.

I'm thinking of using risers (Holeshot) or Heli-Bars. I can't see on the heli bars website how they adjust, can anyone explain? Is it different for different applications?

Risers are so easy to install I'd prefer that but I'd rather only do it once - in other words, I don't want to do risers, then switch to the helis anyway.

I'm also thinking about the Corbin seat. I know alot of folks swear by them, but some are not so happy. I've ridden friends bikes with them and they seem great.

I pretty much decided to go with the givi bags. Either the 360s or the new 41s.

Any help y'all can give is greatly appreciated.

Steve

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PeteSC
(5/5/03 4:28 pm)
Re: Touring set up help

I like my Helibars on my '99 B12

They're basically adjustible up and down, and for the amount of 'pull'.
Some of the maximum range of adjustments will be limited by your bike, whether you have a large aftermarket windscreen, and not hitting the top of the tank.
HELIBARS on my 99 b12

They adjust with a provided allen wrench, and can be done on the road in minutes for altering positions a smidge.
You can see the allen head bolts (Silver) in the picture.
Mine are set fairly high, with a little more pull, and to clear the tank.
I haven't found myself playing with them.

I guess you can condition your body for long distance riding, but,
I'm happy with taking a break, preferably in some scenic spot, smoking, looking at the bike....drinking something. After a couple of hours, the riding stints may drop to 45 minutes, or less, and I tend to take a longer break when filling up.....even if it's just a matter of rolling the bike off to the side of the gas station lot, walking around a bit, drinking something.
Since I'm also gettting saddlesore or stiff after a couple of hours, I tend to gas up at one of the growing number of convenience stores/fast food places.......eat a burger or something standing up.
The Givi stuff is good. Depending on the color of your bike, the color match can be very close. Have fun, and tell us about your trip!

B12Teuton
(5/6/03 8:10 am)

Stevetree,
I've got a Givi wingrack and three bag setup. Very happy with it. I use the Maxia 50L as a top box (hold 2 full face helmets) and 2 36L side bags. Works great, looks great. (see pics in "bikes 4 sale" forum).

Get a throttle rocker too!
www.throttlerocker.com/

Best $10 I've ever spent.

Manny

stevetree59
(5/6/03 10:18 am)

Hey Pete, thanks for the pic and the info. I think I see how they adjust, they slide up and down right? So you can only go so far down until they would hit the tank. I also see how you can rotate them. What screen is that you have?

Manny, I have seen your bags in the for sale section. Actually, when I was first considering the B, I saw your pix - definately liked it then. Do you always have the bags on? I got pretty used to having hard bags on my cruiser. Only thing is, I like the stock look of the B. I was looking at these SW Motech mounts for the side bags because they look pretty inocuous with the bags off. Anyone have them?

Also, I just got a throttle rocker - can't believe how much I like it. I had seen them for years and just never bothered to get one. Yeah, best $10 spent!

I'm hoping to do some longer (overnight) trips soon to kind of prep myself for the NC trip.

Thanks for the replies.

Steve

PeteSC
(5/6/03 11:37 am)

Steve...that's a $40 NAtional Cycle Cheetah SST for the older Bandits......I'm not sure there's an equivalent for the new ones. The bigger and uglier the windscreen is.....the more you appreciate it when it's cold/buggy/raining.

On the Helibars....yeah, the L-shaped grip ends slide up and down in the vertical tubes that are on the ends of the center bar that clamps down. Then you can rotate them front or back.....to adjust the reach.
This is something they ought to have in the Bike dealers so you could set the things the way you want.......then find a bar that closely matches......for $30, instead of $300, but the quality is good, and they look kind of cool.
They give you a longer stainless braided front brake line for the top line that goes to the tee. I still want to do the bottom two lines in stainless...and the back.

B12Teuton
(5/6/03 12:13 pm)

No, I usually only run one of the smaller side bags on the top mount. Enough to fit my laptop bag and lunch for work. Also fits my helmet. When I go up to the hills, I leave them all at home or in the hotel room. Beauty of the Givi system is that the bag is just "clicked" into place, and comes off with the twist of a key and push of a button. Takes two seconds..... literally!

Manny

Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)