Author Topic: "Pod" type air filters  (Read 10209 times)

Offline RUSS M8

• Board Homesteader!
"Pod" type air filters
« on: March 26, 2005, 03:41:47 AM »
Has anybody had experience with fitting 4 small pod air filters on a B12?  I don't think I will do this mod to my bike because my guess would be that it would help top end and loose bottom end, but I don't know?  And it looks super trick :grin:
That's impressive,
and I'm not easily impressed.

Look, a blue car!

Offline mike

• Board Homesteader!
"Pod" type air filters
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2005, 11:53:47 AM »
Dale's stage 2 kit uses 2 K&N oval pods.
Of course you need a performance exhaust too, otherwise you're pissin in the wind.

But,
http://www.holeshot.com/bandit/bndt_b12_stage2.shtml

Stage 2 Kit Includes:
    * Dual K&N oval air filter
    * K&N crank case vent filter
    * 3 sets of original Mikuni main jets
    * 1 set of original Mikuni pilot jets
    * Holeshot® aluminum hard anodized adjustable needles
    * Stainless allen bolts to replace the float bowl screws
    * Complete installation and tuning tip instructions

Offline RUSS M8

• Board Homesteader!
"Pod" type air filters
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2005, 01:41:07 AM »
I'm not surprised that the pod type are out there for the Bandit, but I suspect that it is a top end mod, and would not help (or may even hurt) bottom end performance - which is NOT what I want (I use the bike to get to work every day, so I don't want a top end machine for commuting).
That's impressive,
and I'm not easily impressed.

Look, a blue car!

Offline mike

• Board Homesteader!
"Pod" type air filters
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2005, 03:11:52 AM »
Sounds like you've been misinformed.  The only thing that will take away low end and move the HP to the top end is changing camshafts (the gsxr cam is a popular mod).

The only thing a jet kit and exhaust will do is open air flow, which allows the engine to move more air, hence produce more power.

Stage 1 jet kit leaves the stock airbox.  Stage 2 kit uses pods.

Do some research on the board, you'll see..

I have a stage 2 and slipon.  It still makes power in the same places, just more.  Top ends the same, cause I'm using my stock cam.
You'll see about 15-20% increase in power at the same rpms, just due to increased air flow and proper carb jetting.

If you just commute though, you may be happy saving your money and keeping it stock.  I'm more of a pleasure rider, don't commute on the bike.

Mike
:)

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
"Pod" type air filters
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2005, 06:24:36 AM »
Actually, Dale has two Stage II kits now... a SII w/Airbox and a SII w/pods.
The kit w/pods does make a hair more power than the airbox version.

But like Mike said, it increases power across the board.
At 3250 RPM, a SII (with a slip-on) is almost 5hp stronger than stock, by 4500 RPM, the margin is smaller at ~3hp. Once you get up to the peak at 8250, the difference is ~15hp

Dale's charts & graphs can be seen here:
http://www.holeshot.com/dynocharts/dyno_bandit_1200_2001.shtml
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline broncbob

• Board Homesteader!
"Pod" type air filters
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2005, 09:25:22 PM »
is there any way just to get the filters??  or do you have to buy the whole kit? i looked on the web site but didn't see em as a seprate item, looked on k&n's site and they didn't come up for the bandit! would love to have em but allready have a jet kit!
i'm to young to go that slow!

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
"Pod" type air filters
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2005, 12:17:09 AM »
Yes, you can buy the K&N dual flange pods without buying a jet kit. They are listed on the K&N site, but not as a Bandit-specific application, instead they are in the "universal" category. I forget which p/n is the ones the Bandit uses, but a little work with a measuring stick will tell you if you compare your measurements to K&N's here:

http://www.knfilters.com/search/univdualtapoval.aspx

If you already have a jet kit, you will probably have to fatten it up some more to run these.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline broncbob

• Board Homesteader!
"Pod" type air filters
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2005, 03:56:49 PM »
i have ivans kit, will the two be compatable? my guess is i'll have to move my needles up some or is this gonna be a whole jet change?

Offline buggyho

• TURBO TYPER!
"Pod" type air filters
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2005, 05:39:42 PM »
I don't know much about Ivan's kit but I do know that if you pull the air box and go to pods you will have to increase your fuel flow quite a bit. Mine went from a 110 main with a modified air box to a 160 with the pods.
Good friends, good times

Offline Bazza

• Board Homesteader!
"Pod" type air filters
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2005, 03:15:17 AM »
Hey Everyone:

I can tell you that modifying airbox's (Including pod filters) will affect low range performance slightly. (This according to my seat of the pant's Dyno) However, it will increase top end performance.

I recently removed a jet kit from a friends bike which included taping off the airbox hole, and a very noticable low end difference was seen. (From idle to about 3500 rpm. I have also noticed with mine that removing the velocity snorkle will also decrease low end performance. Carburators need vaccum to work, and in order to create vacuum you need resistance. I am not an engineer, but from playing with Bandits, these have been my observations.

Most of the tuners test their jet kits on a Dyno for maximum HP. From what I have seen, you do take a little low end fun factor away (but gain high end fun factor) from modifying air box's. I would bet a few cold beers that modifying an airbox will change the torque curve on a B-12 at low end.

I also have another friend that went to pod air filters and they can cause problems if you ride in heavy rains. ( I experianced this a weekend ago with my moded airbox also though, in very heavy rain) The bike did not want to run very well gulping all that water.

Offline Bazza

• Board Homesteader!
"Pod" type air filters
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2005, 03:19:07 AM »
Quote from: "broncbob"
i have ivans kit, will the two be compatable? my guess is i'll have to move my needles up some or is this gonna be a whole jet change?

You will definetly have to increase you main jet sizes before anything. (I would guess to 150's minimum, with pod filters.

I have Ivan's jet kit in mine, and if your running on the 3rd clip, moving to the 4th clip would make you run very rich in the needle stage. (At least in my neck of the woods in low humidity)

Offline broncbob

• Board Homesteader!
"Pod" type air filters
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2005, 06:59:21 PM »
thought so! i think i will look in to this next spring! have any of you try'd outerwears to try and help with the rain problems? if i rember right the shed water!

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
"Pod" type air filters
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2005, 09:00:06 PM »
If you have a 2G, water is no issue as the pods hide behind the sidecovers. On the 1G, you'll have a problem if you ride thru torrential downpours with a crosswind component... mostly, you just want to avoid getting water sprayed directly on them. Riding in most rain conditions isn't a problem.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline 2005B12S

• Board Homesteader!
"Pod" type air filters
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2005, 10:16:44 AM »
I have been thinking of going with pods to avoid having to deal with the airbox when tuning. Per Ivan, his needles will not work with pods though, they apparently require more taper to keep the mixture rich enough. It is not a matter of just lowering the clips.

I have run pods on my '83 GS750 for 20 years. Lived in New Orleans, and rode in the rain alot. No problems at all except when the bike sits on the sidestand in the rain. This will expose the #4 carb filter to the rain. I used to carry a ziploc bag to slip over it when I had to park it outside in the weather (no centerstand).

Ride On, Ed.
2005 GSF1200SZ
1983 GS750ED
2005 GSF1200SZ
1983 GS750ED
1992 900SS

"The quality of the kite matters little, sucess depends upon the man sitting in it" Manfred Von Richthofen

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
"Pod" type air filters
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2005, 09:12:50 PM »
The rain when parked on the sidestand problem doesn't exist with the 2G Bandits since the pods hide nicely behind the sidecovers.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)