Author Topic: ?'s about B6 carbs/ignitor box....  (Read 3893 times)

Offline whiplash

• New user!
?'s about B6 carbs/ignitor box....
« on: March 23, 2005, 01:24:20 AM »
I have a salvage '97 Bandit and have installed the motor/carbs/wire harness on my '89 GSX-R. At first I didnt have any spark. I put the spark plugs in my '90 gixxer and they are fine. Checked the wiring/coils/signal generator and everything meters just fine. I have extra gixxer parts from the racing past. So I looked at a ignitor box that is used in '88-'90 gixxers. They dont have as many pins (8)as the B6 ignitor box(10). I took a chance and moved the Orange/Red wire(in connector) over one pin to the right so to use the gixxer box. Tada, now have good spark with gixxer ignitor box. But motor doesnt come to life yet. The carbs I tore down and cleaned. Thinking there might be a different ignition adv/rotor, I removed the cover and compaired with two(stock) extras I had and they are the same. The timing mark was aligned with cam notches pointed inward, #1 on exaust cam sprocket pointed fwd, #2 ex cam pointed up, and #3 in cam pointed up. Everything is timed just like the gixxers as per manual. So MECHANICALLY, things are timed. I dont think its a timing issue. I cant find any internal wiring diagrams of the ignitor boxes to find out what controls what. I dont think its a timing issue, but I havent ruled it out.  Back to the carbs. I wasnt getting any fuel to the spark plugs, unless I covered the carb intake with my hand to force fuel to be suck in, The carbs are Keihin CVK and I think they are 32mm. I am not to familar with these Keihins, as   I am with Mikunis/gixxers. Also, one thing different on the B6 wire harness, around the carb area off the main wire harness, there is a two wire connector, black w/ white tracer and a orange w/ red tracer. I dont know what this is hooked up to. I have a wiring diagram for it, but dont see this connector on the diagram. I have read about the TPS (throttle pos sensor) but I think this is on the newer Bandits? I looked at a parts list at bikebandit.com and didnt see to much as far as a fuel/air mixture screw or slow jets. I was hoping someone could tell me about setting these carbs up, and getting some voluntary(haha) fuel to show up at my sparkplugs. Iam sorry this is so long, but I wanted to tell as much info as I could. If you want more info on why I did the motor swap, respond and I will tell you more......moral of THAT story....dont trust just one compression gauge!

Offline whiplash

• New user!
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2005, 01:16:31 AM »
Well more to add. The Kiehins in the gixxer frame sit somewhat level. When these carbs are on the Bandits, do they sit and any kind of angle? Similar to at downdraft set up? Iam still not getting fuel to the plugs. I opened the float bowls... not sticking, clean, even pulled the pilot jets and they were clean as well. This is really stumping me.....

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2005, 02:35:41 AM »
The carbs sit pretty level in the Bandit.

Sounds like you've got a real stumper there... and it you're getting spark at the right time, you have good compression, that pretty much leaves it to the fuel dept.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)