Author Topic: ['01 B12] Handlebars and Fairings.  (Read 3848 times)

Offline LowRes

• Board Regular!
['01 B12] Handlebars and Fairings.
« on: March 17, 2009, 04:19:19 PM »
I recently purchased an 01 B12 and I have noticed that the RH grip seems to be tweaked slightly backwards as if it was laid over on that side and the the bar was caught between the ground and the tank. Well, c'est la vie, but it is starting to annoy me every time I look down at it.

The triple clamp seems to be lined up with the forks and the bike tracks perfectly down the road so I don't think anything is out of alignment other than this bar being slightly bent. Well, it seems that the shop wants 90 bucks for a new pair of handlebars and I thought that seemed a little steep so I started looking around at aftermarket solutions. I had no idea that aftermarket bars didn't come with the control guides drilled in them and a lot of the retailers said "drill them yourself" - fat chance I would ever get that right.

So does anyone have any advice on a new set of handlebars (economically minded) that would bolt up fairly easily without me having to destroy them by attempting to drill holes for the controls?

Here is a shot of the bar:

Secondly, I was also worried about the bolt that holds the bar riser to the triple clamp being belt so I wanted to pull that and check it as well. The fairings needed to come off so I opened up the my Suzuki shop manual and started on the instructions. I got to the part where I was supposed to remove the upper fairing and there is a note that says "Hooked part." Well, how very descriptive of you Suzuki... I pulled and pushed and pried and rocked the thing so much that I thought I might knock it off the center stand at any moment - it wouldn't budge!

I've done a couple of searches here saying that the fairing must come down and out so that it will unhook but this thing will not move at all. And it wasn't for lack of trying. So I reassembled the various bolts and accepted my defeat. Is there some secret to removing this thing? The manual is of no help at all when trying to understand the actual method for extraction.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 04:21:58 PM by LowRes »

Offline PaulVS

• Board Homesteader!
Re: ['01 B12] Handlebars and Fairings.
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 04:26:29 PM »
MANY Bandit owners (including me) LOVE the Bikemaster Daytona Bars, which don't have the awkward bend the stockers do.

And, they're under $20 at most places.

Yes, you do have to drill the holes, or file down the nubs on the controls.  I recommend drilling the holes... if you measure right, and then use a nail punch to start the hole (so the drill bit doesn't "walk") it's not that tough.

One other thing... the Daytona bars fit a lot better if you cut about 3/4" of an inch off each end with a hacksaw.

Offline LowRes

• Board Regular!
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 05:18:43 PM »
What about a pair of B1250 handle bars from '07. I can't seem to find the specs on them, but I wonder what other years would fit.

Offline LowRes

• Board Regular!
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 11:46:37 PM »
Well I made another attempt at removing the center cowling.

Removed each side mirror, 2 bolts on the front of the cowling, 2 screws on the rear of the cowling. It still will not budge. I push up and I push down it doesn't move at all. I can't figure out this "hooked part" thing. I can pry the plastic back a small way from the windshield at the top but that is about it.

I have no idea what I am missing here... it seems like the thing is glued on. I don't want to damage the plastic by forcing something but I can't see where else this thing is connected. I pressed down hard enough to compress the forks, but the cowling stays tight.

Offline Sven

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
  • Drop the puck!
    • My site is always under renovation!
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 12:35:41 AM »
The fairings needed to come off so I opened up the my Suzuki shop manual and started on the instructions. I got to the part where I was supposed to remove the upper fairing and there is a note that says "Hooked part." Well, how very descriptive of you Suzuki... I pulled and pushed and pried and rocked the thing so much that I thought I might knock it off the center stand at any moment - it wouldn't budge!

It's been a while since I did this, and you want to be careful since the "hooks" are just plastic tabs that will break off without much effort.  If I remember, it was a matter of pressing my palms against the sides of the part and then sliding it, like you would a panel.

This schematic may help you see how it works:  http://www.bikebandit.com/suzuki-motorcycle-gsf1200s-2004-cowling-body-gsf1200sk3/o/m6127sch506688
2003 Suzuki Bandit 1200S | el Bandido de Cerceta | the teal bandit
2010 Yamaha FJR1300A | Gin Tama | the silver bullet
2002 Honda CRV | the dirt-colored car

Offline LowRes

• Board Regular!
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 12:37:42 AM »
I am going to assume slide down. I'm heading down to the garage to try that now, Sven.

**edit- Just went down to give it a try and I couldn't make it move. Not even a wiggle.

This is really starting to frustrate me. I pressed my palms against the upper part of the piece, near the area where the side mirrors bolt on, gently pressed, and tried to slide it down like a panel. Pressed with a little more force and tried to slide down again, compressing the forks. Nothing.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 12:45:08 AM by LowRes »

Offline Sven

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
  • Drop the puck!
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 08:55:24 AM »
I have an '03 and I think you have the same body style.  On that, the black V-shaped piece slides *up* (unless I am totally misremembering) to come off.  When you put it on, it slides down to lay over the headlight lenses.  Try pressing your palms a little lower than where the mirrors were, just a little above the vertex of the V.

Offline rodge ram

• New user!
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2009, 12:57:44 AM »
i just don this on my 600, you have to pull up where the mirrors mount just enough to clear, there are tabs at the bottom where it meets the side panels they dont separate, then try to grab the front point with your finger tips top and bottom and pull forward it will come off then the tabs to the side panels will come off.
blue o1 600s, zero gravity double bubble,1200 rear pegs, holeshot slipon, timing advancer & stage one jet kit. 1200 rear shock, 1in handlebar riser

Offline LowRes

• Board Regular!
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2009, 02:22:48 AM »
I did manage to get it finally after finding the this guide (http://www.zerogravity-racing.com/sportbikes/suzuki_sptbks/Bandit_Install.htm).

As you describe you have to pry back the plastic so that it will unclip. What a pain in the rear...

I also managed to break one of the plastic tabs on one of the side fairings... we'll see how the epoxy holds is in 24 hours.

Offline Sven

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
  • Drop the puck!
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2009, 09:25:07 AM »
I did manage to get it finally after finding the this guide (http://www.zerogravity-racing.com/sportbikes/suzuki_sptbks/Bandit_Install.htm).

You know, I thoiught I remembered they had instructions, and I looked there before my last post, but didn't find them.  Glad you did, even if you still had a little oopsy.