Author Topic: *Sniff* Do you smell gas?  (Read 4068 times)

Offline ttewejnodnarb

• Board Homesteader!
*Sniff* Do you smell gas?
« on: December 02, 2005, 06:28:28 PM »
There seems to be a strong smell of gas coming from the carb area of my bike...alot more than I remember from my Duc 620.  :shock:  

From what I gather the following will indicate a rich condition.

Here are some points:

1)Bike smells of gas at a stop when warm.

2)Plugs I pulled last where black at the tips.

3)Black (very?) exhaust inside tip.

4)Pops and "gargles" a little on decel and with small constant throttle input.

5)Lower than average MPG

However:

1)Idel is pretty smooth.

2)Starts up with no fuss (full choke)

3)Runs like a bat-out-of-hell

4)No bogging, no lunging, no off idel stutter

I'm a novice and slowy building my mechanical knowledge of the machine.  I've done all minor maintenance but before I screw with the, well, screws(a/f) I'd love to get some input.  I don't want to make things worse! :duh:

Little history:  98 B12, 30K, holeshot full exhaust (headers back...I know they are aftermarket and I am assuming they are dale's), holeshot can, SII jet kit w/ K&N pods, GSXR cams (in & out) and I think a 5 deg advance.  Former owner was a mechanic and the bike is in great shape...runs very well except for the aforementioned problem.

You have all been very helpful before and I'd like to thank all in advance!
 :beers:
Brandon
98 B12S

Offline solman

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2005, 11:54:08 PM »
If the plugs are black, that would tell me that you are running a bit rich.  Me personally I can't use my choke.  If I do, it seems to screw up my plugs and then the bike runs bad for a bit.
03 Naked Bandit 1200 <br />Vitamin B12, its great for the soul!

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2005, 05:34:53 AM »
How long has it been since the pod filters were cleaned?
If they're dirty, that'll make it run rich.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline ttewejnodnarb

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2005, 11:55:48 AM »
I cleaned and re-oiled the pods about 1000 miles ago.  The plugs I put in (cheap champions recommended here) work great.  They seem not to have had a negative affect on performance and I have not had to leave the choke on as long as the NKG's that where in before...but maybe that was 'cause they where so black.  (I don't run the choke for more than 2 minutes)

Any other ideas?
Brandon
98 B12S

Offline rider123

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2006, 05:52:05 PM »
Maybe the NGK's were a hotter plug? Do you have the old plugs kicking around for reference? I usually clean the old plugs that are still working and put them in a plastic bag under my seat for spares in case I'm stuck out there on the highway. That way you have spares and ones outside the engine to go shopping around with for reference. Also if you've out a little too much oil on the pods sometimes it takes a while to evaporate enough not to be slightly rich. I guess you could try turning in the A/F screws an 1/8th of a turn for fun, just mark where they are now so you can go back.
2005 Bandit 1200, Modified Holeshot Stage 1 with 17.5 pilots 2.75 turns out, and 110 mains 5 shims. Muzzy Slip on w/mid-pipe, stock filter. 1.5" hole in the airbox lid.

Offline ttewejnodnarb

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2006, 06:22:57 PM »
I think that is a good idea [A/F screws].  I cleaned and oiled the pods again because they where getting a little gray.  Do you believe I'm breathing this s*** we call "air" here?  I have outerwears on order to protect them a little better so that I can go, I don't know, maybe 10 miles without the pods getting sooty?  I have a bunch of maintanance planned for March and will wait 'till I have the time to A) go without the bike for a few days. B) acutally DO the maintance including first timer mistakes.  I have a few hundred pages printed out from this site that should help! (thanks guys! :beers: )  So in all I will be doing the following:

1) Install GSXR1100 shock (thanks Mark! :beers: )
2) Raise fork tubes / lower front end 1" or 1.5"
3) Install outerwears (hopefully before March?)
4) Install louder horn (the stock one with the red rubber ball on one end isn't cutting it)
5) Valve adj
6) Chain clean and lube (it'll need it by then)
7) Carb synch.
8) Plugs
9) Oil and filter
10) THEN check a/f if still rich

Any suggestions to add to the list?  I'm going to give myself about 3-4 uninterupted days to pamper my baby.

Thanks
Brandon
98 B12S