Author Topic: 1997 Bandit 1200 won't rev past 7000 RPM.  (Read 4715 times)

Offline Vin

• New user!
1997 Bandit 1200 won't rev past 7000 RPM.
« on: May 11, 2013, 02:08:11 AM »
Hey there,
I recently bought a 1997 Bandit 1200 (registered as a 99). The issue I am having is that it doesn't want to rev past 7000 rpm, it seems like it hits 7k and is bouncing off a rev limiter. I have done a bit of reading about it and apparently some of the japanese bikes were limited in this way via the CDI. I have tried to find another bike with the same CDI as mine to verify this but I am having no luck, all of the CDI's I find are a slightly different model!!

I have taken some pics of the CDI and whatnot, would really appreciate some help in finding a workaround for this as it's rather frustrating.

This is the bike model (V designation is naked 1997 model)

This is the CDI part number, I can't find another one of these anywhere!!

These are the CDI plugs

These are the loom plugs.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 02:09:42 AM by Vin »

Offline mthure

• New user!
Re: 1997 Bandit 1200 won't rev past 7000 RPM.
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 03:35:19 PM »
Is this bike a Japanese Domestic Market (JDM) model?  If so, and if they restrict the JDM's, the way forward would be to replace the ECU with an American one that is not restricted.
It could also be a carburetor problem, if the main jets are clogged it may display these symptoms.  Put the choke on as you are revving it to see if it changes the behavior, if yes then take off the carbs and clean them. 

Offline Vin

• New user!
Re: 1997 Bandit 1200 won't rev past 7000 RPM.
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 07:19:17 PM »
Thanks for the reply mthure.
It was imported from Japan so I would assume that it is JDM. I'm thinking that an ecu swap is going to be the answer, was just hoping there was some wire snipping that I could do so that I wouldn't have to buy a new ECU.
I don't think it's the carbs, have run seafoam through so they should be fine.
Also, I just noticed that my bike has 1156 stamped into the block, which means that the engine at least is out of one of the early production 1995 models.
So my bike is registered as a 99, has pieces from a 97 and the engine from a 95  :motorsmile: