Author Topic: battery charger fried something. guages wont come on wont start.  (Read 3696 times)

Offline greenfeather

• TURBO TYPER!
battery charger fried something. guages wont come on wont start.

turned key on while charger was attached and it did something. charger diceded to go nuts and put out over 16v.

now, guages are dead, except for their lights, rear lights work, front lights do not, signals do not, lights will dim if starter button is pressed but nothing else happens.

all fuses in the rear are fine, relay is clicking.

Offline rider123

• Board Homesteader!
Re: battery charger fried something. guages wont come on wont start.
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 08:04:09 PM »
Replace the fuses anyway. They may look fine but could not be. Unfortunately you put the voltage of the battery charger PLUS the battery itself, so a minimum of 24volts through a 12 volt system. Change all the fuses and pray. The guages are electronic unfortunately and computers and power surges don't go together. Always disconnect any external source of power even if the battery you think is dead. Never use the battery charger to "jump start" the bike. I hope its ok dude, you like doubled the input, I'm hoping it hit the fuse box first. If you're lucky after replacing all the fuses everything will come back. Since some of it is coming back I'd say its a good sign. Replace all the fuses even if you think they're good. Also, disconnect the battery and attach or touch the ground battery lead from the wiring harness to the frame overnight to discharge any residual charge still in the wiring harness then re-attach the battery ONLY and plug the new fuses in there in the morning and see if the bike comes back to life. Did you hit the starter button while the battery charger was on there or just turn the key? Hopefully the starter isn't melted inside. Do you smell like a burning electrical smell coming from underneath the carbs or anywhere on the bike? If not you're probably good. Modern electrics can take all kinds of abuse usually.

I've had fuses burn out on me that looked perfectly fine, if there is even a hairline gap from the fuse breaking it will not connect. Change those fuses! If you're lucky the worst that will happen is a couple of dollar fuses and you'll have to reset the clock.  Good luck!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 08:17:13 PM by rider123 »
2005 Bandit 1200, Modified Holeshot Stage 1 with 17.5 pilots 2.75 turns out, and 110 mains 5 shims. Muzzy Slip on w/mid-pipe, stock filter. 1.5" hole in the airbox lid.

Offline pmackie

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 09:13:00 PM »
charger diceded to go nuts and put out over 16v.

Just a question...how do you know the charger was outputting over 16 volts? Most chargers only have a 6v/12v setting. Some may have a 24v setting. Others would have a gauge showing the amperage draw...but the voltage should stay constant.

Like 123 says, check and/or replace all the fuses first. I would also want to check the stored voltage of the battery. It's possible you only fried the battery.
Paul
2002-GSF600S, Progressive Fork Springs, B12 Shock,
SS Brake lines, EBC HH pads, Leo Vince Ex & Kappa bags.
Ex Bike Mechanic (late 70's), somewhat rusty
32 years in the Fuel/lubes industry(Retired)

Offline strykersbane

• New user!
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 10:18:08 PM »
I'm gonna go with Pmackie on this one. While rebuilding a bike I jump started it with a battery charger (I know, bad idea) set to 75A at 12V, fried the battery. You should never charge a battery IN a bike, you should always remove it (helps prevent any incidental damage like what you describe here). I'd say it's probably a battery issue.

GL man!

Offline banditv

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 06:04:08 AM »
the main thing i'd be worried bout is did you hook up the charger backwards. eg + to - and - to +.
that will blow things up , reverse the polarity of the battery or just stuff the battery completely.
there is nothing wrong with charging the battery in the bike with it still connected aslong as you dont try and put to much into it.
just something like a wee 2.5 amp charger is enough for a motor bike battery.
using a big arse 30 or 40 amp charger will screw a bike battery in no time.
fit some new fuses and see what happens. worst case scenario is you've fried the reg/rect , cdi unit and clocks if the voltage was way to high or the polarity of the charger was backwards. 
was that 16 volts the voltage at the battery with the charger connected and on or just the voltage of the charger disconnected from the battery but turned on ?
16 volts at the battery with the charger connected is high enough to cause damage but 16 volts from the charger disconnected but turned on is normal output voltage for a charger.
the voltage drops when the load ( flat battery) is applied to the charger

Offline rider123

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 12:15:34 PM »
I always use even lower amp chargers. Usually the 1amp trickle charger does a great job as it's not pushing current too hard into the smallish motorcycle battery which increased life. You could just leave it on overnight and it would charge any normal motorcycle battery. Since you hear the solenoid click when you push the starter button I would agree that most likely the battery is so toasted it doesn't even have enough juice to turn the engine. If after replacing all the fuses and you still can't start the bike. Try buying a supercheap motorcycle battery, even ones with the distilled water not the expensive gel type batteries and see if that will work for you. Better to test to see if the battery is dead with $30 instead of $100. Or if you know the battery needs replacing(hence the charging it in the first place) then just go buy a replacement gel sealed battery.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 12:20:25 PM by rider123 »
2005 Bandit 1200, Modified Holeshot Stage 1 with 17.5 pilots 2.75 turns out, and 110 mains 5 shims. Muzzy Slip on w/mid-pipe, stock filter. 1.5" hole in the airbox lid.