Author Topic: Engine knock at idle and hot.  (Read 10119 times)

Offline rider123

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Engine knock at idle and hot.
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2012, 08:38:29 AM »
It's even worse if you read later in the post he drilled through the ECU couplers so that's a new harness, plus when the key was turned numbers 3 and 4 cylinders had the injectors go full blast so the engine hydrolocked and bent a rod, so new engine components now too. So don't feel bad on a bad bearing!!!!  :grin: BTW my bike is running super awesome with the stock filters 3.75 turns on the mixture screws and 112.5 mainjets. If you can't get the 115's or 117.5's you could pop in the stock filter temporarily. If you need a jet care package again just pm me after the new engine arrives.
2005 Bandit 1200, Modified Holeshot Stage 1 with 17.5 pilots 2.75 turns out, and 110 mains 5 shims. Muzzy Slip on w/mid-pipe, stock filter. 1.5" hole in the airbox lid.

Offline Octane

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2012, 07:58:20 PM »
OK, engine should be here Monday or Tuesday. It's missing the starter, alternator and the starter cover and ignition cover which = a lot of area open to dirt ingress. The engine is apparently wrapped up in plastic for transport but you never know.
So this is what I'm proposing....
Once the engine is back in the frame and basically ready to start, remove the spark plugs and ground the HT leads.
Fill the crankcase with fresh oil and a new filter. Crank over the engine for say 30 seconds at a time to give oil pressure and start circulation and "flushing". Repeat several times giving respite to the starter from overheating.
Once satisfied with that dump the oil and filter. Replace with your favourite brand of liquid sex for bikes and a new filter and fire it up.

Was thinking though - what do you think about using regular car engine oil (cheap as possible) as a flushing fluid for this purpose since I'm not starting it or operating the clutch with it?

2006 B12 112.5 Mains, adjustable needles (full rich), std pilots 3.75 turns out, K&N, airbox 1.5" mod, Staintune exh.

Offline pmackie

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2012, 09:00:19 PM »
what do you think about using regular car engine oil (cheap as possible) as a flushing fluid for this purpose

I personally think you're getting too carried away, but nothing wrong with using Automotive Engine Oil as a flushing oil. If you are really only planning to use it as a flushing oil, then any 10W-30 oil will be fine. I wouldn't be afraid to run the engine, as long as the engine comes looking pretty clean. If it really comes looking dirty, then you will want to clean it all as best you can using Varsol or other hydrocarbon solvent.
Paul
2002-GSF600S, Progressive Fork Springs, B12 Shock,
SS Brake lines, EBC HH pads, Leo Vince Ex & Kappa bags.
Ex Bike Mechanic (late 70's), somewhat rusty
32 years in the Fuel/lubes industry(Retired)

Offline rider123

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2012, 08:03:12 PM »
Depending on how you feel, even a 30 second crank is putting alot of stress on the starter. A better and easier way is to take off the spark plugs and put maybe 5 to 10 drops of oil directly into the cylinders. Let it sit for maybe 20 min to let a film of oil develop on the piston rings which, when the engine isn't running will be loose enough to have a barrier of oil develop. Give her a crank for 5 to 10 secs max with the spark plugs out to aid in cranking and just the action of the pistons moving up and down will spread that oil around enough to protect the rings and cylinder walls. In between the 5 to 10 secs of cranking give at least a couple of mins to let the starter cool down. A couple of crankings is all you should need as long as you put enough oil in the cylinders. Then you should be ready to rock. If the engine you receive hasn't been run in a while, it will be bone dry so err on the side of more oil than less, it will burn off after you start the engine for real and the proper oil pressure comes up.

If you need those extra jets just PM me and I'll order them for you, we might as well have it running right the first time. I'm ordering some jets for my cousins bike so an extra set won't bust the bank. For now if you're using the 112.5's try going back to the stock filter temporarily. Good luck! And tell us how it's coming along. If you need any extra help please don't hesitate to ask there are alot of experts way better than myself here(like pmackie) that will give you a hand. I'm only responding because I'm good at breaking stuff and am too cheap to pay someone to fix it  :grin: I've done a rebuild or two in my time so I have probably made the mistakes before you and can help you steer clear of them.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 08:21:31 PM by rider123 »
2005 Bandit 1200, Modified Holeshot Stage 1 with 17.5 pilots 2.75 turns out, and 110 mains 5 shims. Muzzy Slip on w/mid-pipe, stock filter. 1.5" hole in the airbox lid.

Offline Octane

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2012, 03:59:05 PM »
Thanks Rider, I've ordered a set of 115's from the US. SHould be here in a week or so. About $22AUD landed.
Something which is becoming increasingly apparent to me going from reconditioning car engines years ago to trying to fix bike engines is that there are so many more suppliers of non-gen parts for cars than bikes. Anyone heard of a aftermarket set of bike engine bearings? Not around here apparently. My options for bike parts are either Suzuki themselves (like the dealeship but sorry $9.90 for a single exhaust gasket ring or $7 for a single "nut" is just too expensive or am I just being a tight arse?) or ebay.
When I mention that I can get similar part from ebay for $$$$$$ less, they nearly jump the counter to strangle me. example was set of 4 copper rings for the exhaust would cost just shy of $40 genuine or $14 for a full set non gen from USA. Hmmmmm  what would you do? When we're told our energy costs will increase 160% by mid this year, our bike rego and insurance costs will increase, home insurance will cost more, petrol up ($1.50 per litre ATM)  I'm going to do everything possibe to try to maintain a standard of living. If that means sourcing bits from OS so I can save $ - i'll do that. Sorry, but that's life. A successful business is one that can adapt to change. Oh, just realised I was ranting - sorry. :duh:
2006 B12 112.5 Mains, adjustable needles (full rich), std pilots 3.75 turns out, K&N, airbox 1.5" mod, Staintune exh.

Offline rider123

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2012, 05:58:15 PM »
Try www.bikebandit.com from the states but they shipped to Canada. Theoretically if they won't ship to Australia ship it to me and I'll pass it on using grim Canada Post, won't be too fast but it will get there cheaply. I'm not sure of the shipping arrangement that Canada Post uses but if it's small enough I'm sure just Air Mail will work. Who knows maybe they just throw the shit on a raft and hope the ocean currents will beach it in Australia somewhere. Let me know how the 115's work with the K&N so I can give it a try. I'm thinking though 117.5's are probably what's needed after running 112.5's at least here in Canada where the more demented members of the riding community are the first to ride and even ride after a couple of melted snowfalls. (no names)

As far as oil goes it more comes down to speculation, when the US and Israel, or even just the US itself bombs Iran in late spring/early summer this year there will be disruptions for those nations who import there oil by sea. In Canada we have a shitload of oil that we can't even give away because the hippy protesters in the States are worried a phucking badger is going to get disrupted in the middle of nowhere on the prairies. I wish they would actually do some phucking research before bitching about something they know little about. The main concern is oil spills but what they don't understand is a land based multi pump station has pressure valves all along the length of the pipeline so if there is any drop in pressure along the pipeline the oil is immediately shut off, even if multiple sensors fail for some crazy reason due to sabotage or sunspots, global warming, whatever, they all don't fail. Eventually the break will be detected and again the oil will be shut off. A pipeline is only used at %50 capacity for this very reason.

Even if a spill happens the cleanup is way easier than a ship going tits up in the ocean where even a small spill spreads miles and miles. The beauty of a land based spill is the oil can be reclaimed as it generally just creates a pond that you can pump up and just shoot it back into the pipeline or truck away in days, not weeks. What's really bad is we spend billions of dollars in research, building materials, studies, etc etc. The pipeline is just sitting there waiting to build in huge storage fields ready to go. Then the Obama administration pulls the plug and suddenly gasoline goes to near $5 a gallon. Coincidence??? The problem is not the amount of oil as they are currently saying there is more than Saudi Arabia just sitting there, it's to get it from bumphuck nowhere to the Gulf coast where %95 of the refining factories are. So you got to get it down there somehow. The beauty of the original pipeline plan is it will link up with the oil fields in North and South Dakota(which they just found shitloads) and then shoot it all down to the Gulf coast for refining. They would have more oil than they know what to do with. There's already a bottleneck now, not in supply but delivery.

So now the danger is not in if there is enough oil, but where it's going to go. The backers of this Keystone pipeline project are mightily pissed the American Government pulled the plug. They are now talking about just building a pipeline over the Rockies to Vancouver and just saying phuck you to the American government and selling to China at a much better price. If that happens you'll be looking at $5 a gallon as the "golden age" of gasoline prices 5 years from now. The whole reason for this pipeline was to help each other out. We supply cheap oil to America and in turn they supply cheap gasoline to Canada, it was a win/win arrangement.  Everyone made money and the States could cut down on killing Arabs and/or backing Islamic dictatorships which is the main driving force whole "war on terror" was started anyway. Did you really think Al-Queda(CIA/ISI asset) attacked America because "they hate freedom" or is it they are mad that America kind of got screwed over and is supporting dictators in Islamic countries in return for secure oil supplies? If we can supply the States with all they could ever need, there is a whole effect on the entire supply chain. If America's overseas consumption is reduced even as little as %15 there is that much more oil on the markets to supply other countries with. Suddenly you'll see gasoline drop like a rock EVERYWHERE.

If we could supply America through a pipeline linked up with the other ocean of oil just found in the Dakotas, gasoline prices may go as low as $1.75 a gallon(maybe less with some oversupply problems). There would be too much oil, producers would probably have to cut production to keep the prices up.It's win/win all and up down the board. If its cheaper to ship stuff because fuel prices are low prices drop, especially for food items or "just in time" shipping items. It will be cheaper to keep employees, so more jobs will be created, and not bullshit jobs either like that so called "green" solar power plant in Nevada that cost $50 million to build and only has 5 employees and makes a profit of $3000 a year(look it up) with government money. Or the shitloads of money GM got and as a concession they had to build, where is very quickly turning into a lemon, the Chevy VOLT which is SHITTIER than the EV1 they built 15 years ago and isn't electric either. The only reason that the EV1 got cancelled as it had over double the range of the VOLT was because the only hardcore maintenance was to change the brushings in the engine every 100 thousand miles at around $40. They could not get the dealer to take them since most of the money for dealerships is made in the shop.

So for anyone that has half a brain. This "green" movement, while having lofty goals, is expensive, not fully developed technology wise, and is rife with government wastage and corruption. Thats not a good combo. Like it or not, oil is here to stay for at least another 50 to 100 years until we get some better technology online. I have no doubt will get there eventually especially with the explosion of electronic items and when there are electric cars out there like the Tesla getting 250 to 300 miles per charge. It seems like every year the battery technology is getting better and better. Just think like even just 10 years ago, you'd brag to your friends that you got an 1.5 hours on your laptop(that weighed like a brick). Now it like 10 hours on a battery half the size that like a 1/3 of the weight. What we need is cheap enough energy to spawn innovation and jobs to support such a venture. And there is nothing that kills jobs faster than high energy prices. I guess when their Latte's cost $10 will they suddendly realize maybe going to far too fast without the proper support wasn't such a good idea....

« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 06:08:16 AM by rider123 »