Author Topic: Rain ride problem  (Read 5064 times)

Offline canyonbreeze

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Rain ride problem
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2012, 04:15:57 PM »
But if done wrong it makes a horrible mess inside the tank.  I picked up a second tank and the Kreem was peeling off in lumps, really bad.

Offline rider123

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2012, 04:54:22 PM »
True, it has to be done right. I guess he could theoretically skip the Kreem itself and try the pre-Kreeme steps solution and see how the tank looks after that. My friend and I have been lucky but I can imagine if you don't let the pre-treatment fully dry then try to Kreem it too soon I imagine the acid wash just eats the Kreem. Like I said it's pretty nasty shit and should only be done if there is no option. Unfortunately rust in the tank is the gift that keeps on giving.

It was a good experience doing it though because I was so put off that whole episode I made doubly sure the tank is topped off before storing for winter. I think it worked good for me is because I was lazy and just used some ball bearings and such to clean the tank out and not the acid stuff so there was nothing to kill the Kreem once it was in there. Also I was in no big hurry as it was the winter so I let it dry for days and days, from what I gather out there on the internet is it can't be rushed, ie do it over a weekend so you can ride right away. It really a winter type project where you can let all the stages do the proper drying, etc. so you don't mind if it takes a week to do properly. I just fluked out because of my laziness. And who says laziness doesn't pay off?  :grin:
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 05:34:34 PM by rider123 »
2005 Bandit 1200, Modified Holeshot Stage 1 with 17.5 pilots 2.75 turns out, and 110 mains 5 shims. Muzzy Slip on w/mid-pipe, stock filter. 1.5" hole in the airbox lid.

Offline Seva

• Board Regular!
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2012, 05:08:21 PM »
Rideeeeeeeeeeer!!!!!! You bastard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :yikes:

Just kidding. I dont believe we have here this type of product, but Ive read on a local forum that there are people who do that type of coating. But also, there were cases of this plastic peeling off. But since Ive got a fuel filter, i dont believe the rust will do some damage.

Offline rider123

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2012, 05:15:10 PM »
Good. It's something no one would CHOOSE to do. I think you can probably make your own acid solution sometime if you'd like to give it a shot. Believe it or not with a little patience and a coat hanger you'd be surprised how cleaned up it can get in there. If you clean the fuel filter regularly and you keep the bike tank full when storing it the loose rust will eventually get mostly cleaned up on it's own.

I've only done the Kreem method ONCE and that was it for me. I just make sure for the winter the tank is topped up and there is stabilizer in there and all is good.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 05:28:35 PM by rider123 »
2005 Bandit 1200, Modified Holeshot Stage 1 with 17.5 pilots 2.75 turns out, and 110 mains 5 shims. Muzzy Slip on w/mid-pipe, stock filter. 1.5" hole in the airbox lid.

Offline Seva

• Board Regular!
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2012, 01:25:57 PM »
Today, when i rode to work there was a light rain. Bike behaved normally, no stalling, no rpm droppages occured. But it wasnt a serious rain. Will have to wait to see whether the silicon did fix the problem or the rain wasnt strong enough. Hope its the first one.

Offline rider123

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2012, 04:47:37 AM »
Thats good to hear. Chances are the problem is permanently fixed. Also, chances are the coils will last until the bike is dead so don't worry if it looks pretty or not as it's hidden under the tank.