Author Topic: 2001 Bandit600S Neutral Safety Switch Issue  (Read 8823 times)

Offline djnatedogg

• Board Regular!
2001 Bandit600S Neutral Safety Switch Issue
« on: January 20, 2015, 02:00:35 PM »
Hey everyone, just bought the bike a couple days ago, want to sort out some issues before riding season and while its at work in the shop with my tools.  I'm a certified mechanic, so I have some smarts with cars, mostly transferable to bikes.  The Neutral light doesn't work when the bike is at operating temperature.  Not a huge issue, but if I want to let it idle with the side stand down, it will not cause it thinks its in gear.  Where is this pesky switch?  I'm thinking a bad contact in the switch.  I just need to know where it is and I can trace the wires around.

Offline djnatedogg

• Board Regular!
Re: 2001 Bandit600S Neutral Safety Switch Issue
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 05:17:31 PM »
Found it...  Under the left side trans cover where all the old chain lube hides, lol.  So going to be cleaning all that up!  But as for the sensor, looks like a simple sensor with one common contact and three others.  Lightly sanded the contacts clean, still stops working after the bike is up to temp.  Only thing I can think of is there is a weak connection inside the sensor where the wires join up, which is a sealed unit, so no repairing.  Gonna have to replace it.

I know one contact is for the neutral circuit, I am curious what the other two are for :/
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 06:27:24 PM by djnatedogg »

Offline djnatedogg

• Board Regular!
Re: 2001 Bandit600S Neutral Safety Switch Issue
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2015, 10:01:46 AM »
Going to replace the sensor, 76bux from a local parts jobber.  When the light goes out, all I have to do is gently pull on the wires coming out of the cover and it comes back on, so there is a broken wire somewhere.