Author Topic: Two Brothers Exhaust  (Read 4125 times)

Offline steveboot

• TURBO TYPER!
Two Brothers Exhaust
« on: May 06, 2008, 09:42:14 AM »
I just picked up my, new to me, 2001 Bandit 1200. She came with a Two Brothers exhaust can, and I'm wondering if she had to be re-jetted for the can.... And, if she wasn't, how could I tell?

I may go back to the stock can if I don't ave to re-jet to go back. If that's the case I'll have a Two Brothers can for sale. Anyone know what it's worth?

Thanks,

Steve

Offline txbanditrydr

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
Re: Two Brothers Exhaust
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2008, 11:16:43 AM »
If that's the case I'll have a Two Brothers can for sale. Anyone know what it's worth?

Twenty bucks.......    :stickpoke:   :lol:

(joke)
'01 B600S ... sold
'05 B1200S ... Top 20 mods... #20 through #2 - All The Usual Ones, Yada, Yada  & #1... 150,000+ Miles and Counting!!!!

Offline steveboot

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2008, 12:22:34 PM »
Uhhh....  :shock:

Offline pmackie

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2008, 05:56:08 PM »
Hey Steveboot

Welcome to the site.

The 2nd Gen bandits are jetted pretty lean from the factory, especially at sea level. You CAN install an aftermarket can without a jet kit, but you get much better performance with the jet kit as well.

Two quick things you can check:
1. Pull the seat and check the air cleaner cover. Most jet kit companies recommend drilling extra holes in the lid and removing the snorkle. If there are extra holes, you can be pretty sure it has a jet kit.

2. Look under the carbs (you may need a small mirror). The factory pilot air screws are covered with an aluminium plug. If you can see the brass air screws, than someone has removed the plugs to adjust the screws, another giveaway that someone has modified the jetting.

These bike make a LOT more power with a jet kit, airbox mod and aftermarket slip-on. If you want to go back to stock, there are likely a few guys on the board with a stock mid-pipe and muffer to sell, but your performance will suffer.
Paul
2002-GSF600S, Progressive Fork Springs, B12 Shock,
SS Brake lines, EBC HH pads, Leo Vince Ex & Kappa bags.
Ex Bike Mechanic (late 70's), somewhat rusty
32 years in the Fuel/lubes industry(Retired)

Offline steveboot

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 04:43:02 PM »
Thanks Paul. I just heard back from the PO and apparently it was not re-jetted when the two brothers exhaust was put on. I think I'm going to put the stock can back on for a while, then change back to the Two Brothers and see what difference it makes, without any changes to the jets...

Offline pmackie

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2008, 06:33:52 PM »
Yea...I understand, but be aware that the B12's will run better with a jet kit with the STOCK exhaust, with some reduction in fuel economy.

There's quite a bit of extra power there with just a jet kit (check out Ivan's or Holeshot), a slip-on and an airbox mod.

There are a couple of guys here selling stock pipes. Look around.
Paul
2002-GSF600S, Progressive Fork Springs, B12 Shock,
SS Brake lines, EBC HH pads, Leo Vince Ex & Kappa bags.
Ex Bike Mechanic (late 70's), somewhat rusty
32 years in the Fuel/lubes industry(Retired)

Offline PaulVS

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2008, 11:13:11 PM »
Dissenting Vote:

First off... I agree Bandits are overly lean in stock form... but I put a Yoshimura exhaust on my 2nd Gen B12 before I rejetted and it ran slightly better and I think faster.

Putting on a Stage 1 jet kit (and later a fully Muzzy exhaust system) made it run better.... but it was noticeably faster with just the Yosh slip-on added.

Offline Rocketjock

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2008, 04:28:27 PM »

Two Bros is a great looking can. Tried mine without any jetting and it really ran like poo. Ivan's kit gave it better running and a hell of a mid range kick. It still stutters and jerks trying to cruise at between three and four grand, tho. And, the can is loud! I can't block out the buzzing in my head even with wax earplugs. I am seriously thinking of going back to stock.
06 B12
Lovin my Bandit
07 KLR.
Too much fun!

Offline steveboot

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2008, 08:13:15 PM »
Well, I put the stock can back on and now the Two Brothers can is up for sale. I like the quiet Bandit better  :grin:

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2008, 09:21:21 PM »
Hey Steve!  You're in Bel Air...  I come through there every day (well...  through Forest Hill and Hickory).  We should ride some time...    :motorsmile:
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline Rocketjock

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2008, 11:32:47 AM »
Ya. Can't take it any more. Going stock. Two Bros. and Ivan's Stage 1 kit is going up for sale today.
06 B12
Lovin my Bandit
07 KLR.
Too much fun!

Offline GETFURIOUS

• CAPS LOCK IS STUCK
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2008, 03:41:00 PM »
Ya. Can't take it any more. Going stock. Two Bros. and Ivan's Stage 1 kit is going up for sale today.

TWO BROTHERS IS GOOD LOOKING.....BUT WAY TOO LOUD.....

B-T-W.....I WAS TOLD BY ONE OF THE DEALERS THAT THEY HAVE AN INSERT FOR THE TWO BROTHERS CAN TO MAKE IT A LITTLE QUIETER.....

NOT SURE IF IT IS TRUE.....BUT IT MAY BE WORTH A CALL TO THE DEALER TO CHECK BEFORE YOU SELL.....
2001 BANDIT 1200S - MY DOCTOR ALWAYS SAYS, TAKE A SHOT OF B-12 AND CALL ME IN THE MORNING!  I LOVE MY DOCTOR!

W-T-B - AFTERMARKET CHROME/POLISHED WHEELS-LIKE THESE-http://www.exoticsportbike.com/star2.htm

Offline steveboot

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2008, 07:20:56 PM »
I wonder if they are all like that. Mine doesn't seem that loud, just louder than I like...

Offline Rocketjock

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2008, 10:37:46 AM »
Mine has the insert. A little gold colored tip that is barely noticable in the end. Supposed to lower the noise by 2 to 3 decs. I never noticed the difference.
06 B12
Lovin my Bandit
07 KLR.
Too much fun!

Offline Rocketjock

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2008, 12:39:08 PM »
Made the switch back, Steve. The buzzing in my head has stopped and the bike runs just like when I bought it. That is to say cruising thru town at 3 or 4 grand is smooth with no jerks. In retrospect, I really believe that the pilots were the problem there where I upped them from 15s to 17.5s, I probably should have gone to 20s or 25s. Anyhoo, the package is for sale.
In Two Bros. defence, I think that it is one of the best looking cans out there and it adds a deep, rich (but too loud for me) exhaust note to the bike.
06 B12
Lovin my Bandit
07 KLR.
Too much fun!