Author Topic: 96' B6s Oil leak...Mystery...  (Read 3120 times)

Offline ShadowWolf

• TURBO TYPER!
96' B6s Oil leak...Mystery...
« on: March 23, 2005, 12:58:27 AM »
Hello all....

I noticed that when I start my bike up there is a small leak which looks like it's coming from the exhaust manifold(I think that's what it's called). It's where the headers hook up to the engine. This is weird because I don't think oil should be anywhere near there. It's not even alot of oil but it still bugs me. Any Ideas on what the hell is going on?

I'm thinking it's just a faulty gasket but how the hell is the oil dripping from there??? Oh yeah and the bike has about 9,380mi on it.
" A man steals from me, I cut off his hand. If he lies to me, I cut out his tongue. If he stands up against me, I cut off his head, stick it on a pike and lift it up for all to see." -Bill The Butcher

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2005, 02:13:29 AM »
You shouldn't get oil leaking from the header... but the valve cover gasket is just above that, make sure the oil isn't coming from there. There's also a couple of oil return pipes near #2 & #3... I hope it's not those, because you've gotta pull the head to change the O-rings on those.

Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline ShadowWolf

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2005, 03:21:53 AM »
Damn I'm gonna have to run the bike and take a real good look at exactly where it's coming from. It appears it leaking from above where the headers connect. Too bad I can't even run the bike right now because there is a shit load of snow in my area right now. :(
" A man steals from me, I cut off his hand. If he lies to me, I cut out his tongue. If he stands up against me, I cut off his head, stick it on a pike and lift it up for all to see." -Bill The Butcher

Offline B12Teuton

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2005, 11:04:13 AM »
Been there, done that.
Like Paul said, I pinched the valve cover gasket in the damndest spot where you can't really see or get to it.  Front center top of the engine.  
It damaged the gasket so I had to replace it.
It was surprisingly cheap.
Manny
ATGATT (all the gear all the time!)
2006 KTM450XC Thump-whore