Author Topic: Rear brakes suck!  (Read 10841 times)

Offline Daytona

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Rear brakes suck!
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2008, 10:01:16 PM »
The only way air / moisture etc could apply the pads is if the return port to the reservoir won't open! which is like riding the brake pedal, or the rod from pedal to master is misadjusted holding fluid in the line and caliper. Air and or boiling water will make for spongy! or no brakes at all. Have you tried turning the wheel to check for brake drag? If you get em hot and the wheel turns with very little drag the caliper isn't in need of a rebuild. Make sure pads are centering on application, Bleed, and make sure the parts are together rite.   

Offline GETFURIOUS

• CAPS LOCK IS STUCK
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2008, 12:28:02 AM »
The only way air / moisture etc could apply the pads is if the return port to the reservoir won't open! which is like riding the brake pedal, or the rod from pedal to master is misadjusted holding fluid in the line and caliper. Air and or boiling water will make for spongy! or no brakes at all. Have you tried turning the wheel to check for brake drag? If you get em hot and the wheel turns with very little drag the caliper isn't in need of a rebuild. Make sure pads are centering on application, Bleed, and make sure the parts are together rite.   

GOOD ADVICE.....

I DID CHECK FOR BRAKE DRAG AT THE TIME THAT I INSTALLED THE FIRST AND SECOND SET OF PADS.....

WHEN IT GAVE ME TROUBLE THE FIRST TIME I THOUGHT THAT IT MIGHT BE DRAGGING.....BUT IT WAS NOT.....

I WILL CHECK IT AGAIN OVER THE WEEKEND.....

SINCE THE ROTOR NOW HAS GROVES IN IT.....I WILL ORDER A NEW SET OF PADS AND A ROTOR.....AND WHEN I GET THE NEW PADS AND THE ROTOR.....I WILL MAKE SURE TO DOUBLE CHECK EVERYTHING.....

THANKS.....
2001 BANDIT 1200S - MY DOCTOR ALWAYS SAYS, TAKE A SHOT OF B-12 AND CALL ME IN THE MORNING!  I LOVE MY DOCTOR!

W-T-B - AFTERMARKET CHROME/POLISHED WHEELS-LIKE THESE-http://www.exoticsportbike.com/star2.htm

Offline Blade

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.billsbikesnservice.com
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2008, 12:28:52 AM »

I have seen where either one can do what I said, because the reservoir is for holding extra fluid so as the brakes wear you will not run out of fluid.

I have seen brake systems develop air bubbles and I have also seen systems that have moisture in them. You can tell if the brake fluid has a lot of moisture, because if you have a site glass, the fluid will be a milky color.

Since both air and water will expand more and will do this at lower heat tempratures than brake fluid, this can cause the caliper pistons to push on the brake pads and pust the pads against the rotors.

You are correct about being spongy, this is also another side affect of having air in the system. Water can cause it to, too some degree.

Offline Blade

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2008, 12:30:23 AM »

GOOD ADVICE.....

I DID CHECK FOR BRAKE DRAG AT THE TIME THAT I INSTALLED THE FIRST AND SECOND SET OF PADS.....

WHEN IT GAVE ME TROUBLE THE FIRST TIME I THOUGHT THAT IT MIGHT BE DRAGGING.....BUT IT WAS NOT.....

I WILL CHECK IT AGAIN OVER THE WEEKEND.....

SINCE THE ROTOR NOW HAS GROVES IN IT.....I WILL ORDER A NEW SET OF PADS AND A ROTOR.....AND WHEN I GET THE NEW PADS AND THE ROTOR.....I WILL MAKE SURE TO DOUBLE CHECK EVERYTHING.....

THANKS.....

If you would like me to get you a price on a rotor and pads, please let me know. You can email me at bill@billsbikesnservice.com

Offline GETFURIOUS

• CAPS LOCK IS STUCK
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2008, 01:38:19 AM »
If you would like me to get you a price on a rotor and pads, please let me know. You can email me at bill@billsbikesnservice.com

SURE.....I MIGHT AS WELL COMPARE PRICES BEFORE I MAKE THE PURCHASE.....
2001 BANDIT 1200S - MY DOCTOR ALWAYS SAYS, TAKE A SHOT OF B-12 AND CALL ME IN THE MORNING!  I LOVE MY DOCTOR!

W-T-B - AFTERMARKET CHROME/POLISHED WHEELS-LIKE THESE-http://www.exoticsportbike.com/star2.htm

Offline Daytona

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2008, 07:01:09 AM »

I have seen where either one can do what I said, because the reservoir is for holding extra fluid so as the brakes wear you will not run out of fluid.

I have seen brake systems develop air bubbles and I have also seen systems that have moisture in them. You can tell if the brake fluid has a lot of moisture, because if you have a site glass, the fluid will be a milky color.

Since both air and water will expand more and will do this at lower heat tempratures than brake fluid, this can cause the caliper pistons to push on the brake pads and pust the pads against the rotors.

You are correct about being spongy, this is also another side affect of having air in the system. Water can cause it to, too some degree.
Say What?? The fluid is there for the wear yes but the next time you have the capoff squeez the lever and see what fountains up!  Anyway How big a grooves is in the rotors? Are they OEM? rears are like added weight anyway, why worry about a little groovey groove! Sintered will polish it up! :lol:

Offline Blade

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2008, 11:09:52 AM »

Say What?? The fluid is there for the wear yes but the next time you have the capoff squeez the lever and see what fountains up!  Anyway How big a grooves is in the rotors? Are they OEM? rears are like added weight anyway, why worry about a little groovey groove! Sintered will polish it up! :lol:

What you are seeing is coming from the master cylinder piston, not the whole system. Apparently we disagree on this, so for sake of helping GETFURIOUS, I will agree to disagree with you.

Offline GETFURIOUS

• CAPS LOCK IS STUCK
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2008, 03:15:38 PM »
Anyway How big a grooves is in the rotors? Are they OEM? rears are like added weight anyway, why worry about a little groovey groove! Sintered will polish it up! :lol:

THE ROTOR IS O.E.M. AND THE PADS ARE FERODO.....

THE GROVES ARE NOT DEEP BUT THERE ARE THREE OF THEM....

THE WORRY IS ABOUT THE VERY ANNOYING MOANING NOISE.....

THEY STOP FINE.....BUT THEY GET ON MY NERVES.....MY BIKE SOUNDS LIKE A CITY BUS COMING TO A STOP..... :annoy:

Offline Daytona

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2008, 05:43:49 PM »
Anyway How big a grooves is in the rotors? Are they OEM? rears are like added weight anyway, why worry about a little groovey groove! Sintered will polish it up! :lol:

THEY STOP FINE.....BUT THEY GET ON MY NERVES.....MY BIKE SOUNDS LIKE A CITY BUS COMING TO A STOP..... :annoy:

Well do what you feel you need to but these folk sell as good a pad as any! and for a more than fair price! Last as long as OEM, fast shipping too! Check it out if you want here! This is close to you Westerners anyway!  http://stores.brakeplanet.com/Items/es08301?&caSKU=es08301&caTitle=SUZUKI%20STREET%2099-06%20GSX%201300%20RX%20Hayabusa%20R%20Brake%20Pads

Offline Daytona

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2008, 05:47:00 PM »
If this is hurting anyone (sponsors) Just say shut the H up! I'll undestand! :stickpoke:

Offline Blade

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2008, 06:04:06 PM »

Well do what you feel you need to but these folk sell as good a pad as any! and for a more than fair price! Last as long as OEM, fast shipping too! Check it out if you want here! This is close to you Westerners anyway!  http://stores.brakeplanet.com/Items/es08301?&caSKU=es08301&caTitle=SUZUKI%20STREET%2099-06%20GSX%201300%20RX%20Hayabusa%20R%20Brake%20Pads

I checked out the site and what they said about there brake pads.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 06:09:10 PM by Blade »

Offline Daytona

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2008, 06:56:13 PM »

I checked out the site and what they said about there brake pads.
If you are using anything from Ferodo like HH friction material, they have material in them for racing or wave rotors that are ment to be used for race purposes! the wave rotors will clean the pads which won't last long! with street use on oem sunstars with the cooling holes! Hard material will stay on the pads which is harder than steel! Sintered will score too but evenly around the rotor. And this is all i got to say about this. :roll:

Offline GETFURIOUS

• CAPS LOCK IS STUCK
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2008, 09:47:19 PM »
If you are using anything from Ferodo like HH friction material, they have material in them for racing or wave rotors that are ment to be used for race purposes! the wave rotors will clean the pads which won't last long! with street use on oem sunstars with the cooling holes! Hard material will stay on the pads which is harder than steel! Sintered will score too but evenly around the rotor. And this is all i got to say about this. :roll:

I USED THE FERODO SINTERED PADS.....FDB-338P.....THE SAME PART NUMBER AS THE ONES LISTED ON DALE WALKER'S WEBSITE.....