Author Topic: Dropping bowls and floats without removing carbs?  (Read 8521 times)

Offline tom624

• New user!
Dropping bowls and floats without removing carbs?
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2005, 01:14:55 AM »
Mark-- I'm surprised you can get a rebuild kit for the petcock. I couldn't find one for my B12.
In case you can't get one, an alternative is to stretch the spring in the petcock ass'y. until it's about 25%-50% longer than original. This will put more pressure on the seat so it seals better. You should also make sure that the seat is very clean. I polished mine with a cloth-covered dowel and Mother's polish and stretched the sping, and no more leaks. Vacuum still opens it OK.

Tom
'01 B12

Offline onebohemian

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2005, 11:14:53 AM »
For the 1st generation (e.g., my 98B12) petcock rebuild kit via K&L Supply part number is 18-2763.  Don't know if they make one for the 2nd gens like yours.

As for my continued leaking via the reserve setting, I think it might be the result of a worn or warped petcock.  I might try the polishing option but it appeared more to me that the rubber wash wasn't aligning as it should with the holes in the petcock.  It appeared off just a little when set to reserve, thereby allowing a little gas to leak by.  This is why I thought it probably had always been like this but because the carbs were in better condition the gas didn't get past the needle/valve assembly.  Now that I've got the carbs apart, the needle/valve assemblies each look very good so I'm not replacing them.  The o-rings on the outside of the valve assemblies were in rough shape though with alot of gunk and hard deposits on them.  I suspect the gas may have been sneaking by one of these or that because of the crap in the bowls, a piece of debris may have been holding one of the needle/valves open once in a while which allowed the gas to get by.  Won't know for sure whether I've fixed the problem until I put the carbs back together and try her out.  Still may try the polish trick on the petcock at some time though.  Bottomline is that petcock should not leak on reserve and until I stop it from doing so, I may always have a problem.

Mark
Mark
Minneapolis, MN

Offline tom624

• New user!
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2005, 02:49:12 AM »
Mark :  if it continues to leak after you've tried everything, you might want to consider a Pingel valve. Strictly mechanical; no vacuum. Don't have any details,and not sure which B12 models can use them, but I remember that a couple of guys have dumped the oem for a Pingel. Maybe someone else can fill in the details.

Tom
'01 B12