Author Topic: 99 Bandit 1200 acts like its not getting fuel second gear and above  (Read 9750 times)

Offline brainsick

• Board Regular!
Re: 99 Bandit 1200 acts like its not getting fuel second gear and above
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2013, 09:16:00 AM »
Smooth operator,
Yes the bike ran perfect with this exact setup. I'm just trying to make sense of this issue because nothing I try has any improvements, so at this point I'm second guessing just about everything... Thank you for the response

Offline pmackie

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2013, 03:00:22 AM »
Hey brainsick

Again a simple one. Drain the tank completely, and add fresh fuel with no ethanol in it? Ie: get rid of any possibility of water or alcohol.

Otherwise, your describing a problem occurring under high load/low rpm.  Check the carb slide boots carefully. A torn boot could wreck havoc with the vacuum slides.
Paul
2002-GSF600S, Progressive Fork Springs, B12 Shock,
SS Brake lines, EBC HH pads, Leo Vince Ex & Kappa bags.
Ex Bike Mechanic (late 70's), somewhat rusty
32 years in the Fuel/lubes industry(Retired)

Offline brainsick

• Board Regular!
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2013, 01:18:35 PM »
Pmackie,
I did drain the fuel and put in new thinking that maybe I had gotten a bad batch, unfortunately its almost impossible to find fuel around here without ethanol in it, so I added some stabilizer.... The vacuum slides are fine, no dry rot or cracks..... STILL STRUGGLING...
Thanks for the help!

Offline smooth operator

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2013, 01:48:46 PM »
  I've been using Star Tron,put a little bit in a 5 gal. can. There are other brands too,but it gets rid of the ethynol. I use it for my bike,lawn mower,chain saw, especially over the winter. And I'll go through almost a tank over the winter just starting the bike up till its warm.
  Mine good use a good run about now! Its 31 F here now,and the roads still have a lot of salt and gravel on them. Could use a good rain or two to get them cleaned off a bit.
  I think I'd start out with some fresh fuel too. Get some of the additive and try it again. And if that doesn't help,I'd go to the carbs next.
   :beers: Dan

Offline brainsick

• Board Regular!
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2013, 11:04:55 AM »
I have near 100 miles on the bike now since this issue came about, back and fourth, up and down the road, tried every combination of senarios that I could think of, still no improvements..... I tried wrapping the K&N pods with rags to see if it was possibly getting too much air, ran worse, tried the opposite and ran without the filters, still running like crap.. The only improvements I can get out of it is if I work the throttle and choke together in different positions somtimes it will take off and then die out again a moment later... The carbs have been off 25 times now, Choke circuit is definately clean, all passages in the carb are definately clean... The slide diaphragms have no visual cracks or rot and all raise and lower at the same time when revved on the lift.... I jacked the back tire up, ran the bike on the lift, no issues until actually riding... I really don't know what else to consider with this thing.... Any other help would be great. Thanks!

Offline pmackie

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2013, 02:14:15 AM »
Alright, time to change gears...

Maybe check compression and do a leak down test.

But it sure sounds like carburation issues. What are the float levels set at?
Paul

Offline brainsick

• Board Regular!
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2013, 04:54:46 PM »
Pmackie,
Compression is near 125 psi on all cylinders. The float heights are set at 14.7mm but it doesn't seem to make a difference where the floats are set, I tried high and low.. Same deal.. I'm almost considering buying new slide diaphragms but the dealer wants $60 per unit... Think its possible that these are bad and causing this issue?
Thanks for your response!

Offline pmackie

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2013, 02:18:06 AM »
If the boots look in good condition then I wouldn't change them, BUT make sure they seat correctly in the top of the carb body. You can use a LITTLE grease or petroleum jelly.

I know you said you've done this, but are you SURE that the O-rings on the top of the carb slides are in good condition and installed properly? Are all the vacuum ports (used for balancing the carbs) capped with caps that are in good shape and seal properly.

It seems so very unlikely, but is there any chance that the cam chain has jumped a tooth on one of the sprockets? Pretty out there, but I'm also scratching my head...
Paul

Offline brainsick

• Board Regular!
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2013, 04:14:21 PM »
Pmackie,
Definately no vacuum leaks, the o rings are new and I even ran a small bead of silicone across the tops of the diaphragm caps, the vacuum caps are all good as well. I pulled the valve cover, cams are in time and valves are all in spec....  :banghead:
Thanks for the help!

Offline mchollan2112

• Board Regular!
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2013, 08:58:25 PM »
How long did the bike sit when you pulled all the plastics off?  This is a bit of a stretch, but on my last bike when I let it sit for a while the transmission seemed to "clump" together.  When I pulled the clutch in, it wouldn't disengage from the engine, and occasionally I'd get s sticky gear (shift to 2nd instead I'd get 3rd or forth and stall).  I put a small amount of seafoam in the oil and ran it a little bit and that did the trick.  I know the transmission and the clutch operation are different on this bike then the gs500 but, maybe...just maybe it will help.
Honda Shadow
Suzuki GS500
Suzuki Bandit 1200

Offline rider123

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2013, 03:08:27 PM »
This is what I would do before you start spending $$$$$$

1. Drive the bike around in the "crappy zone"

2. Pull the plugs and take a look, this will tell you if you're getting enough fuel in there or not.

It could be that your CDI unit is frazzled. Do you have a friend with the same bike? You could swap for a test. I had a CDI unit go on a GS750EF and it did all kinds of wonky stuff. There are different ignition curves for the different gears of the bike. This problem doesn't crop up in any other gear does it?
2005 Bandit 1200, Modified Holeshot Stage 1 with 17.5 pilots 2.75 turns out, and 110 mains 5 shims. Muzzy Slip on w/mid-pipe, stock filter. 1.5" hole in the airbox lid.

Offline brainsick

• Board Regular!
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2013, 01:23:38 PM »
mchollan2112,
The bike sat for roughly 2 weeks during prep and paint, the transmission is definately working properly, just seems to be a definate fuel issue but I cannot understand or figure out why...? Bought new diaphragms, and synced the carbs, still the same issue.
Thanks

Offline brainsick

• Board Regular!
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2013, 01:27:46 PM »
rider123,
The plugs are burning perfect, nice golden brown and the cdi was swapped out already with a known good one......
Thanks

Offline brainsick

• Board Regular!
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2013, 03:44:43 PM »
I just wanted to add that I swapped carburetors with another set and the issue is no longer there... Any ideas with what could be wrong with my carbs to cause this issue? I replaced all o rings except on the outer ends of the butterflys and blew through every passage, carbs are clean as could be...? I also Synced them, just seems like its loosing pressure internally and can't drawl the fuel up from the bowls...? I've read about emulsion tubes wearing out but mine don't appear to be oblong..? Any further help would be much appreciated. Thanks

Offline mthure

• New user!
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2013, 04:11:38 PM »
Could be a weak spark problem.  With the plugs out of the motor but in the spark plug cap, hold the cap so the spark plug is app 1/4" off the valve cover then crank it. It should be able to bridge a 1/4" gap and make a spark.
Have you checked the fuel lines?  A kinked line can send you checking everything else.  
Have you ran the motor off an auxiliary fuel tank to see if it exhibits the same symptoms?