Author Topic: Adjust or not  (Read 4749 times)

Offline indydan4

• New user!
Adjust or not
« on: March 26, 2005, 11:12:39 AM »
:?: I have a 1st gen b12 I took the carbs off and sent the out 2 have the holeshot stage 1 put in, when I get them back the 5 deg advancer will be with them. I want 2 know if I can adjust the valves while I am waiting and if so what r the chances I'll need 2 get new gaskets and which ones I need.  Also any idea how long it will take wrenching skills very low.
Avoid busting on a mans bike and his wife and u can avoid the dentist a little longer.

Offline Steve

• Board Homesteader!
Adjust or not
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2005, 09:06:07 PM »
Dan,

There is no reason that you can't set your valves while you wait to get your carbs back. I don't know about the 1 gen but the 2 gen uses a rubber valve cover gasket than can be reused if not damaged. I have not needed to replace the timing cover gasket.

Hopefully you have a good manual or you have searched here or elsewhere and have all the info you need to do the valve adjustment. If you have never done this before on any engine you might want to see if there is anyone who has that could help you with the first time (since you say "skills very low"). If that is not possible, have three feeler guages for inlet and three for exhaust valves. The middle feeler guage is for the gap you wish to set to, have one handy that is .001" over and another that is .001" under to check against. The gap will be correct when the feeler moves through the gap with slight friction.

Pay carefull attention as you remove the valve cover so that you observe the position of all parts and don't drop anything into the engine.

Good luck!

Steve

BTW: removing and replacing the carbs is harder than installing the jet kit parts IMHO
Primer Grey b12S

Offline B12MoJo

• Board Regular!
Adjust or not
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2005, 12:10:42 AM »
My 97 doesn't need a new gasket.

Take pictures of everything before you tear into it so things go back the right way... the only thing on my bike that could really get mixed up is the coil wires.

Intake valves should be at .006" and exhaust at .009".

It's not a very difficult job, especially on this bike due to the fact there's no shims and good measurements can be aquired fairly quick.

Offline Steve

• Board Homesteader!
tools
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2005, 12:22:06 AM »
to actually adjust the valve clearance you will need a decent 8mm wrench and something to turn and hold the tappets with. You can buy the Suzuki tool (no) or make a tool from a square drive cabinet screw (#4 I beileve) and some kind of handle. I used the handle from a small screwdriver, Paul used something clever, I can't remember just what it was. It was his idea so blame him!

Do yourself a favor and if you are using a set of feeler guages that are held together in a metal case, remove the ones you plan to use and handle them individually. You will have much better "feel" with the feeler guages.

Paul, do you have the tool tip posted anywhere?

Steve
Primer Grey b12S

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Adjust or not
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2005, 02:21:29 AM »
I don't know if it is still around or not (haven't found it yet)... but to make one, you need a cabinet screw with a #2 square drive head. The thread size of the screw itself doesn't really matter, you're using the screw head as a socket. Screw the cabinet screw into whatever handle you have that's handy, like a dowel, a piece of old screwdriver handle (like Steve did), or anything else you can think of that'll give you something to hold onto.

I actually spent the $5 for the tool from Suzuki, just passed on the DIY tip when I came across it on a website back in '01.

This is what the Suzuki tool looks like:

Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Steve

• Board Homesteader!
Adjust or not
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2005, 05:36:20 AM »
This is the home made tool that Paul's tip inspired.

This little beauty works very well and was also reasonable priced.

Steve
Primer Grey b12S