Author Topic: chain lenght  (Read 2466 times)

Offline the kid

• TURBO TYPER!
chain lenght
« on: July 24, 2006, 11:33:10 PM »
i just ordered a 520 chain conversion for my 96 b6 the gearing is one down in the front and two up in the rear how long should i make the chain

Offline solman

• Board Homesteader!
chain lenght
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2006, 08:57:11 AM »
Yiou went one down in the front and two up in the rear?  Wow!  That is pretty is pretty extreme.  You are going to have tons of low end and it will definitely affect your top end and cruising rpms.  You might get away with stock settings since you dropped one in the front.  I added two teeth to the rear and had to change mine from a 110 to 112 to make it fit.
03 Naked Bandit 1200 <br />Vitamin B12, its great for the soul!

Offline Bazza

• Board Homesteader!
chain lenght
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2006, 04:57:41 AM »
hehehe.....wheelie city & I hope you don't do much highway riding as your nads are going to vibtrate right off!

I experimented with going 2 teeth up in the rear and did not like the results of increased RPM and highway speeds, but most of my riding is done on the highway.

Increasing the rear sprocket by 3 teeth is the equilvilant of going down one tooth in the front. You have done almost double of what most do.

On a B-12, you may get by with a stock chain actually. I am not sure about a B-6. With 2 teeth up in the rear on my B-12 I used the stock chain length but was preety much at the minimum on the blocks. If I had gone down 1 in the front like you, the chain length would have been perfect.

Offline timjim

• TURBO TYPER!
sprockets
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2006, 05:10:43 PM »
i fitted a 14 tooth front sprocket to my 96 600 and loved it,but found it hard to keep the front wheel down,after fitting the 1200 swing arm,i fitted a 44 tooth rear sprocket on the rear..its great and i dont seem to need keep adjusting the chain tension every 2 weeks or so !Tim :duh: