Author Topic: B6 Carb cleaning  (Read 4730 times)

Offline Airmotive

• Board Homesteader!
B6 Carb cleaning
« on: March 08, 2005, 09:54:28 PM »
I asked this in the "general Tech" section with no response, so I'll try here..in case there's a different readership.

I'd like some real-world advice from someone who has cleaned the carbs on a B6...(mine's on 01). Or perhaps a link to a good website....the more pictures the better.

Regardless, I'll be taking lots of pics when I do mine and will post the results...unless there's already a good post that I couldn't find.

Blue Skies,
JJ
Give a man a match, and he'll be warm for a minute, but set him on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline txbanditrydr

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
B6 Carb cleaning
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2005, 10:11:21 PM »
Just curious... what makes you think they need cleaning??  :?:
'01 B600S ... sold
'05 B1200S ... Top 20 mods... #20 through #2 - All The Usual Ones, Yada, Yada  & #1... 150,000+ Miles and Counting!!!!

Offline Airmotive

• Board Homesteader!
B6 Carb cleaning
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2005, 10:20:56 PM »
Just bought the bike. It was parked for a year. Not preserved. Starts and runs great under choke....turn the choke off and it dies right away....even after warmed up. Blip the throttle or turn off the choke and it dies just as fast.

Am I diagnosing this correctly? I'm not gungho about tearing apart the carbs (I HATE carb work...it's a black art).

Blue Skies,
JJ
Give a man a match, and he'll be warm for a minute, but set him on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline txbanditrydr

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
B6 Carb cleaning
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2005, 10:33:50 PM »
There are a lot of better "experts" on the board than myself however I would definitely rule out all other possibilities first.  The easy stuff like air filter, spark plugs, fuel filters, anything other than tearing into the carbs.  Just my $.02 worth
'01 B600S ... sold
'05 B1200S ... Top 20 mods... #20 through #2 - All The Usual Ones, Yada, Yada  & #1... 150,000+ Miles and Counting!!!!

Offline chupacabra

• Board Homesteader!
carbs
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2005, 05:48:11 AM »
You can try a few things to clean them up first before you take them off and soak them.
Make sure the gas is new.
Run STP carb injector cleaner with the jet fuel.
If that fails you can take off the slide covers being careful with the rubber daiphragms and spray carb cleaner in there and also drain the carbs and fill the flootbowls with carb cleaner and let soak then drain and flush with gas. But be careful with the rubber daiphragms I find them to be sensitive to carb cleaners and ruff handling.

I'm not a expert, just been around the block a few times.
Dave . . . San Diego, California
1996 GSF600S Marble Italian Red
I bought new in sept of 95
D.I.D. 530ZVM gold x-ring chain
Pirelli Diablo 120/60F & Strada 160/60R
Progressive fork springs
H.S. HD rear axle nut & washer
Hole Shot 17" comp1 can