Author Topic: Anyone have the holeshot stage 2 airbox Kit?  (Read 5860 times)

Offline rider123

• Board Homesteader!
Anyone have the holeshot stage 2 airbox Kit?
« on: January 09, 2013, 10:24:00 PM »
Hey guys. I'm wondering if anyone has the stage 2 airbox kit from holeshot. THats the kit where you cut the back of the airbox lid completely off and have just a K&N panel filter there. The reason why I'm asking is I'm getting sick of buying stock filters for my Holeshot stage 1 and want to move to the K&N panel filter. I've done some experimenting and I figure I will need 115 Mainjets in there with the standard holeshot stage 1 setup. Does anyone have the stage 2 panel filter kit that would like to share there mainjet sizes? I won't be doing the full stage 2, I'm just going to jet for the standard stage 1(1.5 inch hole, snorkel in, etc.) I just want to know what to shoot for as I will have to jet down a bit from a full stage 2 airbox kit.

I have some testing with the K&N and I got pretty good results with 17.5 pilots and 112.5 mains, however after the bike gets fully warmed up I can tell it's rich down low. I've also tried the stock 15's and the 112.5's and it's also pretty good but a bit light up top(pilots add to overall mixture). So I'm going to try 115's in the spring and see how it goes.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 10:34:45 PM by rider123 »
2005 Bandit 1200, Modified Holeshot Stage 1 with 17.5 pilots 2.75 turns out, and 110 mains 5 shims. Muzzy Slip on w/mid-pipe, stock filter. 1.5" hole in the airbox lid.

Offline RDUBandit

• Board Homesteader!
  • All or nuthin', more or less...
Re: Anyone have the holeshot stage 2 airbox Kit?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 10:34:03 PM »
I have a Holeshot stage one on my '04 and I've never had a problem with it going through air filters.

Stage 2 seems like a waste with the stock header.

edit:  sorry, I misread your post.
Dave...
2004 Bandit 1200S (>92k miles; lotsa mods; SOLD)
2002 Bandit 1200 (>13k miles; more mods)
1997 Bandit 1200 (>3k miles; most mods)
2005 Ducati Monster S4R (>48k miles; ditto)
2003 Triumph Speed Triple (SOLD)
2013 Yamaha FJR1300 (5k miles)
IBA Member #28454

Offline rider123

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 10:46:48 PM »
No they last and everything but it's a hell of alot easier to clean out a filter every year then forking over $20. As I said I'm not doing a full stage 2 however I'd like to know what the settings are for an airbox mod stage 2 so I can see what the upper end would be. I did notice more power with the K&N filter on there(it flows better) however I just have to get the right jets to make it happen perfectly. For example with 17.5's and 112.5 mains it runs crazy, crazy fast(way better than stage 1) up until about 20 minutes or so in the summer then get mushy. Plugs say it's a little rich at those jet sizes. If I reduce the pilots to the stock 15's the 112.5 mainjet is just too light. What I'm trying to do is jet a stage 1 for a K&N filter. To be honest I'd only be getting maybe a few extra ponies over the normal stage 1 but what I want is the ability to have a washable filter. Maybe call it a stage 1.5?  :grin:

You're right if I was going to bother with a full blown stage 2(pods, etc) I would get a new header for sure. I'm fairly happy with the stage 1 but since I've experimented with the stage 1 with a K&N and felt the extra juice I figure I could kill 2 birds with one stone I could have the wet weather reliability and decent low range torque of the stage 1, with the reusable filter and extra bit of air and power of the K&N filter.

Right now I'm just running the standard settings of the stage 1, snorkle in, 1.5 inch hole, 15 pilots, 110 mains, etc. So obviously I will have to jet up for the K&N filter while using the same airbox settings of the stage 1.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 10:48:48 PM by rider123 »
2005 Bandit 1200, Modified Holeshot Stage 1 with 17.5 pilots 2.75 turns out, and 110 mains 5 shims. Muzzy Slip on w/mid-pipe, stock filter. 1.5" hole in the airbox lid.

Offline pmackie

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 05:10:38 AM »
Your not the first guy to run into problems trying to jet a Stage 1 setup to work with a K&N Filter. IIRC both Dale & Ivan's both advise using a stock filter. Dale then came up with the Full Back Off Air Filter cover arrangement, and that seems to work., but normally part of a full change, including header pipes.

So a search of the site, and you should find some previous posts. I believe Fast Larry's site used to have some data on it as well. Maybe Red01 will remember, if he logs on. He doesn't post here as often, since he moved on to a C14

Sorry, I know that doesn't really help answer you question.
Paul
2002-GSF600S, Progressive Fork Springs, B12 Shock,
SS Brake lines, EBC HH pads, Leo Vince Ex & Kappa bags.
Ex Bike Mechanic (late 70's), somewhat rusty
32 years in the Fuel/lubes industry(Retired)

Offline rider123

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 07:27:45 AM »
Sure I'll look around. Like I said I'm almost there. Octane here got pretty good results with a stage 1 with stock pilots and 112.5's I've sent him but the pics of his plugs showed up top he was a little light. Believe it or not motovan makes a 113 size jet if 115's are too much. I may order 115's in the spring for fun as it's only like $20 and see if it works, hey what the hell only takes an hour and I can always change back.

With 112.5's and the larger 17.5's pilots it runs awsome until it gets hot so I figure I'd move up the mains to 115's and keep the 15's in there and see how that goes. I could also pop the 17.5's in there and the 112.5's and fool around a bit more maybe some fewer shims or mixture screw adjustments I might be able to dial it in better as I only rode around like that for a few days. I could give it another shot and see what happens.

I believe last year when I was fooling around with the K&N, I had the 17.5's at 3 turns out, and 112.5's and 5 shims. I guess I could have fooled around a bit more. Perhaps just dropping a shim/mixture screw adjustment might help.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 09:46:29 AM by rider123 »

Offline rider123

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 10:35:47 AM »
Damn couldn't really find anything out there. Ok no probs I'll just experiment a little in the spring. If I get it dialed in I'll share the settings. Fourtunatly there is a bike shop up the street that does dyno runs and fuel mapping for $50 for 3 runs. I'll try and get it pretty close then maybe get a run to see where the fueling lies. Hey if I go 2 years without buying an OEM filter there's most of my $50 bucks back.