Author Topic: Bandit 1200 Gearbox (problem?)  (Read 11865 times)

Offline RUSS M8

• Board Homesteader!
Bandit 1200 Gearbox (problem?)
« on: February 25, 2006, 08:48:41 PM »
Wow, it's been over a year since I posted on this forum  :shock:   How time flies when your having fun  :grin:
Anyway, to my question...
I have a 96 Bandit 1200, she's all stock except for a Yoshi pipe.  Just a few times on longer rides I have noticed that when I change up a gear (usually 3rd to 4th or 4th to 5th) the bike is in a false neutral for just a second, then I release the throttle and it just pops into gear properly.
Now most often it is at the end of a ride, so maybe I'm just tired and not clicking the lever through properly?  Or is it likely to be a shift fork/shift drum issue?  I have heard of gearboxes jumping out of gear when you accelerate (worn or damaged dogs?), but never heard people mention this problem?
Any ideas?  Because I don't wanna do the suspension upgrade I am thinking of, then have the G/Box shit itself  :sad:
Thnks,
Russ.
That's impressive,
and I'm not easily impressed.

Look, a blue car!

Offline txbanditrydr

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2006, 10:23:57 PM »
Most likely its just a lazy shifter foot.... I have done the same thing in both Bandits I owned.  The worst problem is trying to get everything to line back up - it makes me most gawd-awful "cha-ka-ka-ka-clunk" sound when you shift either up or down out of that false neutral.  You might consider a shifter arm adjustment slightly downward from its present position.
'01 B600S ... sold
'05 B1200S ... Top 20 mods... #20 through #2 - All The Usual Ones, Yada, Yada  & #1... 150,000+ Miles and Counting!!!!

Offline RUSS M8

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2006, 03:27:47 AM »
Quote from: "txbanditrydr"
it makes me most gawd-awful "cha-ka-ka-ka-clunk" sound when you shift either up or down out of that false neutral.

Mine is just falling into gear after a second (usually just after I get off the gas after that telltale broooooooommmm...).  I don't have to move the shifter again, just wait for it to fall into place.
If I can comfirm it is not a gearbox problem, I will probably buy a new shifter and mounting bolt (there is now some slop - its done 42,000 km's)
That's impressive,

Look, a blue car!

Offline oremike

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2006, 12:24:46 PM »
I'd change the oil to a good synthedic, I run Shell Rotilla 5w-40 synthedic. My Bandit shifts like butter just snic, snic, snic. You might lube the monkey linkage also, I use a spray white lithium greese.  I'm coming up on 40,000 miles and have had no shifting problems( or any other problems)
Mike M
Ride the roads that make you giggle in your helmet.

Offline ridemoto4life

• Board Regular!
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2006, 11:02:12 AM »
when my bike is cold the gearbox is very quiet but once the bike is warm its load and clunky and also i think my 5th gear is going out cause its making this little sound like a bearing is going out, it kinda sounds like how a bug transaxle whines when they are messed up. if i pull the clutch in it goes away. im not 100% sure if it does it in all gears or just 5th, i know its not my chain.

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2006, 12:14:13 PM »
If it does it in all gears, it's probably the countershaft bearing, especially if the chain has been run too tight.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline ridemoto4life

• Board Regular!
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2006, 08:34:55 PM »
hmm.. cant really tell i havent had the bike long at all. but im pretty sure im the 3rd owner. what if it only does it in 5th? it sounds like some bearing. and sometimes when im downshifting it feels like im doing it without the clutch.

Offline 99er

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2006, 10:08:05 AM »
Think about what changes you made just prior to this happening. It could be that you're wearing new shoes/boots that require an adjustment to the lever.

Other than that, you could always buy the Factory firmer shift detention spring. My '99 has about 25K miles on it. The spring helped but you'll notice afterwards that it takes a firmer foot to shift her. Once you do, there are no false neutrals. Easy, drop the pan, installation and gasket is provided. Took me an hour to install in that I wanted to clean the pan...
Marc/Atlanta

Offline RUSS M8

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2006, 07:03:43 AM »
Quote from: "99er"
Other than that, you could always buy the Factory firmer shift detention spring. My '99 has about 25K miles on it. The spring helped but you'll notice afterwards that it takes a firmer foot to shift her. Once you do, there are no false neutrals. Easy, drop the pan, installation and gasket is provided. Took me an hour to install in that I wanted to clean the pan...

I have not heard of a factory option on spring, can you shed some more light on it for me?
That's impressive,

Look, a blue car!

Offline 99er

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2006, 08:32:50 AM »
Sure. It's not the Suzuki factory but Factory - they make an eddy current dyno and sell custom kits like jet kits. They also have a shift kit for the GSXR.
SHFT-SUZ-3 consists of a spring and a gasket. I don't recall if a detent arm was included but it definitely firms the shift.

www.factory.com. Lots of good reading about jetting as well.
Marc

Offline RUSS M8

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2006, 03:14:54 AM »
And the theory behind that is that the drum will rotate to the correct spot and stay there better than the standard spring?
So, if my problem is the drum not rotating properly (and hitting a false neutral), then this may fix it 100%

Oh, BTW, does the standard spring loose tension, and cause shift quality to reduce?

And thanks for that info!
That's impressive,

Look, a blue car!

Offline 99er

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2006, 08:31:21 AM »
I found your problem - lack of sleep resulting in ankle weakness - 2:14AM?

I can't say whether the spring weakens but springs do.
Marc

Offline RUSS M8

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2006, 05:38:13 AM »
Quote from: "99er"
I found your problem - lack of sleep resulting in ankle weakness - 2:14AM?

I can't say whether the spring weakens but springs do.
Marc

Was a nice 6:14pm here is Oz!!!!  :grin:
That's impressive,

Look, a blue car!