MODEL SPECIFIC > SUZUKI BANDIT 600 thru 1200 - AIR/OIL COOLED TECHNICAL

Best Oil?

<< < (8/11) > >>

BBurton:
Mobil 1 is the worst company that claims to be full synthetic as well as Castrol. When conered, they will admit that they no longer manufacture "pure" synthetics. I will try to find the link to the website that proves that Mobil and Castrol aren't fully synthetic like they claim. Not that I care.... I think it is all good stuff, just that if I am paying the prices for a full synthetic, it sure as heck needs to be!! :roll: As far as the other companies that you named, they weren't listed as making bogus synthetics from the article that I read. Just the 2 giant oil companies.

PaulVS:

--- Quote from: "BBurton" ---Mobil 1 is the worst company that claims to be full synthetic as well as Castrol. When conered, they will admit that they no longer manufacture "pure" synthetics. I will try to find the link to the website that proves that Mobil and Castrol aren't fully synthetic like they claim. Not that I care.... I think it is all good stuff, just that if I am paying the prices for a full synthetic, it sure as heck needs to be!! :roll: As far as the other companies that you named, they weren't listed as making bogus synthetics from the article that I read. Just the 2 giant oil companies.
--- End quote ---

Sorry... wrong again.  

Mobil 1 IS a Group IV PAO based full synthetic.  Mobil SUED Castrol because Castrol was claiming they had "full synthetic" oil when it was actually just hydrocracked Group III dino oil.  

CASTROL AND MOBIL GO TO COURT TO BATTLE IT OUT:

Recently, Mobil accused Castrol of reformulating its synthetic by substituting other basestocks in place of its synthetic polyaphaolefins (PAO's). Castrol Syntec is a hydrocracked oil. That's right, Castrol has replaced the PAO synthetic base stock with hydroisomerized petroleum base stock. Hydrocracking, as it's called, is the highest level of petroleum refining. Castrol isn't even a synthetic yet Castrol ended up winning the battle when the National Advertising Division of the Council of Better Business Bureaus ruled that Castrol could still market its oil as "synthetic" despite their new formulation. Basically, they expanded the definition of synthetics to include Group III hydroprocessed petroleum oil. This high profile case took place because synthetics are recognized as the market's best hope for growth. Synthetic oil sales have outpaced petroleum oil sales by a wide margin and the gap continues to widen every year. Consumers are getting smarter and demand the best for their vehicles. Read the full story on the Castrol issue in our informative articles section. Additionally, just as soon as Castrol won this battle, several other major oil companies jumped in and came up with hydroprocessed motor oils of their own and labeled these products to be "100% synthetic", when they still are Group III hydroprocessed petroleum oils.

Since Mobil lost this lawsuit... everyone is claiming their Group III hydrocracked oil is "full synthetic".  Unlike Mobil 1 which actually is PAO based.

Castrol, Shell Rotella, and Valvoline, among others, have now jumped on the bandwagon and are putting out Group III hydrocracked oils on the market and labeling them "full synthetic".  Posers, in my opinion.  (In Germany, a judge ruled otherwise... and these companies can't sell their oil as "full synthetic".)

Check your facts.  I have a feeling the article you read was just someone's uneducated opinion.

bandibull:
As far as true synthetic oils go Mobile1 and  Amsoil are about the
only reasonably priced true synthetics out there. They are both
class 4 PAO synthetics with just a bit of class 4 esters added
for seal maintenence.  The others like Royal Purple and Redline
and the like tend to be a more less even mix of PAO and Esters.
The fact that they have a large amount of ester base oil is why
they are obnoxiously expensive.  Personally I'm not a big fan of
large amount of esters in my oil.  First of all, they're just to expensive
for a minor amount of additional protections plus ester based
oils are much more prone to water contamination.

My "personal opinion" is that either Mobile1 or Amsoil are the
best bang for the buck, especially if you can force yourself to
extend your oil a change a least a few miles.  I certainly wouldn't
pay as much or more for a hydrocracked "synthetic" or a dino
oil with a picture of a bike on the can.

:lol:  :beers:  :lol:

Tetge:
Now I am confused.  I need to change the oil on my new '05 1200S and I followed the link in a post above to Mobil's site and they seemed to be saying that I needed to use MX4T since their other oils had friction modifiers which could lead to clutch slip.  I run regular Mobil 1 in my car and air compressor and MotoGuzzi but none of them have a clutch that runs in the common engine oil.  

Quote from the Mobil site:  

Okay. Let's start with Mobil 1 MX4T. What does it offer that Mobil 1 for cars does not?  

Mobil 1 MX4T is designed for sport bikes. Most of these bikes have multi-cylinder/multi-valve engines and use a common sump, which means the engine oil lubricates the engine, transmission and wet clutch. So unlike Mobil 1 for cars, Mobil 1 MX4T has no friction modifiers, which could lead to clutch slippage.

BBurton:
I have never seen 10W40 weight oil with friction modifiers, it would kinda defeat the whole purpose of energy conserving. :grin: Think that I am gonna run Rotella T 15W40 for a couple thousand miles then switch over to Mobil 1 15W50 extended mileage.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version