MODEL SPECIFIC > SUZUKI BANDIT 600 thru 1200 - AIR/OIL COOLED TECHNICAL

Best Oil?

<< < (9/11) > >>

PaulVS:

--- Quote from: "BBurton" ---I have never seen 10W40 weight oil with friction modifiers, it would kinda defeat the whole purpose of energy conserving. :grin: Think that I am gonna run Rotella T 15W40 for a couple thousand miles then switch over to Mobil 1 15W50 extended mileage.
--- End quote ---

Please don't take this the wrong way... but you're completely misinformed about this topic.

Friction modifiers are for Energy Conservation.  They also can cause clutch slippage in motorcycles.   If it says energy conserving in the circular spec label on the bottle... you don't want it in a motorcycle.

Most automobile oils that are 10w40 do have friction modifiers.  Most M/C specific 10w40 oils do not have friction modifiers.

There are Mobil 1 automobile oils that do not have Friction modifiers.  They are available in these formulas:

5w30 Extended Perfomance Gold Cap (new)
10w30 Extended Perfomance Gold Cap (new)
10w40 Extended Perfomance Gold Cap (new)
15w50 Extended Perfomance Gold Cap (new)
5w40  Truck & SUV Formula

All of the above are Group IV PAO-based FULL synthetics, and will work great in a Bandit... also a lot cheaper than Mobil 1 MX4T motorcycle formula.  The extra ingredients in the MX4T are almost insignificant.

Once again... generally the only TRUE Group IV synthetics you'll see at the auto parts stores or Wal-Mart, etc... are Mobil 1, Amsoil, and occassionally Royal Purple.  

The others that call themselves 'fully synthetic' (Castrol, Pennzoil, Shell Rotella, etc) are all just 'modified' Group III.  

Hope we can put this baby to bed now.   :wink:

BBurton:

--- Quote ---Most automobile oils that are 10w40 do have friction modifiers. Most M/C specific 10w40 oils do not have friction modifiers.
--- End quote ---

I think that you are confusing yourself with 10W30, I have never seen a car oil in 10W40 weight be energy conserving. Go to any autoparts store and let me know if you find any!! :lol:

By the way....dude, you need to chill out!! Seems that you are the OIL GOD :blahblah: You misunderstood what I was saying, I know what energy conserving oil is, and what the effects can be on wet clutch bikes. I was simply saying that I have never seen an oil that was energy conserving in 10W40 weight and higher, thus meaning that they DON'T have friction modifiers! Having thick oils like 10W40, 15W40 and 20W50 will not be conserving energy and won't have friction modifiers. I am not an oil expert, never claimed to be and don't obviously know everything. :roll: I just take the info from what others riders and myself have experienced. Being that the Bandit is oil cooled, I would and DID when I had a Bandit, run 15W40 and thicker in warm weather and 10W40 at Fall and Winter. My Strom is both liquid and oil cooled, engine runs really good on 10W40 but a large majority of Strom riders use 15W40 and higher. ALL oil topics at the V-Strom forum are banned, too many opinions and experts saying that they know what is best. Keep the oil non energy conserving and keep it clean, our bikes should run for a long time. :beers:

Red01:

--- Quote from: "BBurton" ---ALL oil topics at the V-Strom forum are banned
--- End quote ---

Lots of boards have done that... sometimes I think it's a good policy, but discussion is good - as long as everyone stays civil.

OMG, look at the time... I think it's beer:30!  :bigok:  :beers:  :motorsmile:

PitterB4:

--- Quote from: "Red01" ---OMG, look at the time... I think it's beer:30!  :bigok:  :beers:  :motorsmile:
--- End quote ---

That time zone thing always gets me!  It's already bourbon:30 here on the East Coast!

Red01:
Hey, I can't push it THAT hard... I'm still @ work...  :roll:

(j/k - for the public's safety, I do NOT drink @ work.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version