MODEL SPECIFIC > SUZUKI BANDIT 600 thru 1200 - AIR/OIL COOLED TECHNICAL

Best Oil?

<< < (10/11) > >>

Steve:
BBurton, I'm lost trying to follow this thread.

Oil is either the hot topic or the banned topic on your other board, maybe it is the hottest banned topic?  :stickpoke:

And you would never waste money on synthetic oil, but you are going to run Mobil 1 in the future?

I must concede that I was reading on "another board"  :shock:  and someone there posted some info that upped my opinion of an Emgo filter. I guess they are actually supposed to be well made.

I believe that we are all open to changing our minds on a given issue, no fault there. And as far as choice of maintenance supplies in our personal vehicles goes I still believe that it comes down to what you can afford and what you percieve as the benefit. Right now I use synthetics in a couple of vehicles. When I retire (many years from now) I may decide that I really don't give a shit if my ride outlives me and choose to spend my limited income on myself instead of my machines, they may use dyno oil so that I can run on beef. In the meanwhile I have actually observed and enjoy benefits of my choice.

I just don't see where any particular party in this conversation needs to "chill" more than any other. I kinda like facts and information, that is the big reason I log on.

I sure hope that we can be responsible enough on this board that we retain the privilidge of being able to discuss something so risque as motor oil.

Tire inflation pressure, now there is a controversial issue!

Steve

PaulVS:

--- Quote from: "BBurton" ---His info seems to be right on the money, as well as stating that the ONLY true synthetic oil on the market is Amsoil.
Others "claim" to be, but aren't.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: "BBurton" ---Mobil 1 is the worst company that claims to be full synthetic as well as Castrol. When conered, they will admit that they no longer manufacture "pure" synthetics.
--- End quote ---

I'm not trying to act superior... my point was you are putting out mis-information... the things you said above are simply flat-out 100% wrong.

--- Quote from: "BBurton" ---I will try to find the link to the website that proves that Mobil and Castrol aren't fully synthetic like they claim.
--- End quote ---

Please do that.

In actual fact, Castrol, Shell Rotella, Pennzoil and others are the true frauds in the synthetic oil business.  Why do you think they cost half as much as Mobil 1 or Amsoil?  

Call Mobil's toll-free number and ask them if their fully synthetic oils are Group IV PAO-Based.  Then call Castrol, Pennzoil, Valvoline and Shell... and try to get a straight answer out of them on the same question about their 'fully synthetics'.

Read my previous post about the Mobil Vs. Castrol lawsuit if you haven't yet. I give credit to Mobil for still making a true Group IV synthetic when they could just 'fake it' like everybody else.

--- Quote from: "BBurton" ---I have never seen 10W40 weight oil with friction modifiers, it would kinda defeat the whole purpose of energy conserving.
--- End quote ---

Your above quote is interpreted by me to mean that you're saying friction modifiers defeat the purpose of energy conserving... when in fact they are the reason for 'energy conserving' to be on the label.

And as Steve mentioned above... you seem to contradict yourself on occassion.

--- Quote from: "BBurton" ---I would never waste my money on synthetic.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: "BBurton" ---Think that I am gonna run Rotella T 15W40 for a couple thousand miles then switch over to Mobil 1 15W50 extended mileage.
--- End quote ---

Finally... I would have trusted Amsoil... up until the last year or so when I heard about several people who used it in a Bandit and ended up with pitted cam lobes.  (Others on this website will verify this information.)  I have never heard of this happening with Mobil 1.  Part of it may be due to the cheapo hardening process used in manufacturing Bandit cams... but I'm not taking any chances.

No offense intended, BB.  I just don't think people should be misinformed.  And I think it's ridiculous for people to make claims about Mobil 1 for OR against... when they've never even tried it themselves.  I suggest you go out on a limb... drop the $20 for a 5 qt. jug of Mobil 1 at Wal-Mart... and then tell us how you feel about it.

Red01:

--- Quote from: "PaulVS" ---
--- Quote from: "BBurton" ---I have never seen 10W40 weight oil with friction modifiers, it would kinda defeat the whole purpose of energy conserving.
--- End quote ---

Your above quote is interpreted by me to mean that you're saying friction modifiers defeat the purpose of energy conserving... when in fact they are the reason for 'energy conserving' to be on the label.
--- End quote ---

How I read that was he's saying is that 10W40 is too heavy of an oil to be a reasonable choice in an energy conserving (EC) rated oil.

I haven't looked for the EC label lately on multiple brands. Last time I did was a couple years ago. At that time there were no EC rated 10W40 oils on the shelves I saw.

PaulVS:

--- Quote from: "Red01" ---
How I read that was he's saying is that 10W40 is too heavy of an oil to be a reasonable choice in an energy conserving (EC) rated oil.
--- End quote ---

I agree.  Most oils over 30w are not EC rated.  Just wasn't the clearest way to put it, IMHO.

Again... no offense intended.  It's a confusing subject.   :wink:

BBurton:

--- Quote ---No offense intended, BB. I just don't think people should be misinformed. And I think it's ridiculous for people to make claims about Mobil 1 for OR against... when they've never even tried it themselves. I suggest you go out on a limb... drop the $20 for a 5 qt. jug of Mobil 1 at Wal-Mart... and then tell us how you feel about it.
--- End quote ---

Not trying to ruffle anyones feathers.... I have changed my mind to a degree about synthetic oils. I have talked to many bikers up at bike night who have used dino, blend and fully syn. Most have agreed to advantages in quieter engines and smoother shifting with the synthetics. They said that they don't know how much better that syn actually is for the engine, but that it has its advantages. Thus.... my change in my opinion on synthetic oils. I am gonna try some in the near future. I did say earlier that I thought that synthetic was a waste of money, I was leaning more toward the motorcycle oil prices. Now that I have good info on using car oil instead of moto oil, I have changed my tune!!! :grin:  RED01 was correct in what I was trying to say about energy conserving oils. Anything higher than 10W30 isn't conserving energy and isn't supposed to have friction modifiers. I had read about Mobil 1 not being a true synthetic on one of the Amsoil dealer websites, obviously he must have been either telling lies or trying to pull the wool over my eyes. I had heard a while back that Penzoil, valvoline, Castrol etc... wasn't fully syn. He said that Mobil 1 had gone that route too, just not to the same degree. :roll: I love good info in writing too, obviously some people are wrong!! I didn't mean any offense about anything either!! :wink:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version