MODEL SPECIFIC > SUZUKI BANDIT 600 thru 1200 - AIR/OIL COOLED TECHNICAL

Best Oil?

(1/11) > >>

ShadowWolf:
Choosing and sticking with an oil for my bike is becoming a daunting task. Everywhere I read it's a debate between synthetic and petroleum based. I'm new to motorcycles and just got my first bike(96' B6) and I will be doing my own oil changes so I would like to know what's the best oil to use? I heard some things about clutches slipping if you use a certain type of synthetic.

Drop some names fellas.....it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

B12MoJo:
Shell Rotella 15W40 non synthetic

Got 40K on this with Emgo filters on my TL no problems.  Nearly 10K of this on the bandit no problems.

Red01:
The proverbial can of worms...  :duh:

Oh well, we haven't had this question in a while, so I guess we're overdue.

The following is my person opinion.

Synth isn't worth it if you're not trying to extend drain intervals.
Motorcycle specific oils are hype.
Auto oils are fine as long as you stay away from "EC" (Energy Conserving) labeled oils. Luckily, few 10w40 or heavier oils are.
Diesel rated oils are great and stand the shear loads encountered in the gearbox.

Slider:
Actually I have never known this to be much of a problem. Change your oil regularly and don't buy the bottom grade. However, my son is an inveterate car nut who does little else. He has won me over to even modest cost synthetics. He says that he has researched much data where teardowns of car engines on synthetic oils only still show some to most of the cylinder "hone marks" of original specs. That = compression and on spec bearings, chains etc. You know, when you look at the big picture, the price of oil is peanuts.

Now I know I will sound like a grandpa when I say the following.
With reasonable maintenance, bikes don't wear out... they crash out. Go to any bike salvage yard and keep your hat in hand and be ready for tears. You will see many bikes badly rusted and abused and a Great Many in parts because that's all that was left.

Mike from the two stroke era, (YRD350, Kaw H2 750), & asst Dukes)

Red01:
One thing to be wary of when choosing a synthetic oil for a Bandit - or many other bikes... how compatible is it with a wet clutch.

Some (many?) synthetics will promote clutch slippage, so when choosing one, be sure it's one that's been tried by others and found to be OK.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version