Author Topic: brake caliper swap?  (Read 11066 times)

Offline Octane

• Board Homesteader!
brake caliper swap?
« on: October 21, 2016, 05:13:05 AM »
has anyone tried swapping the front calipers on a gen 1 b1200 over for a set of the six piston ones from the gen 2 1200?
id anticipate if they did just bolt up you would be best to also swap over the master cylinder.
2006 B12 112.5 Mains, adjustable needles (full rich), std pilots 3.75 turns out, K&N, airbox 1.5" mod, Staintune exh.

Offline riversbikes

• New user!
Re: brake caliper swap?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2016, 08:07:19 PM »
I've got a nice (rebuilt, cleaned, red rubber grease, decent pads) set of the 6-pots if you are interested.

Offline China Greg

• Board Homesteader!
  • Tighten it 'til it Loosens then back-off 1/4 turn
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2016, 08:23:47 AM »
I tried a pair of Nissin 3-pots off a Kawasaki 1200... they were used, and I had to clean them out.. but they began to give me some problems on a long trip... somehow my rotor started getting more and more warped, giving me pulsation, until it was very bad and I had to point it home. It COULD WELL HAVE BEEN that I had damaged (bent) the rotor when changing the tire.. so i can't say for certain that it was the calipers that screwed me..

But I went back to the standard 4-pots again... put some fresh Vesrah pads in... cleaned out the old fluid... and you know what? These brakes work as well as any...(stainless lines and Wave rotors)... so I think that those three-piston calipers are ..not really worth the effort... although I guess they LOOK cool to your buddies at Bike Night
Black '98 B12S, JE 1216cc bore kit, port work, Yosh RS3, Ivan jetting, drag bars, modified Corbin Gunfighter, Hyperpro shock, Racetech Gold valve kit, stainless lines, Wave rotors, polished wheels, fender eliminator, bar-end mirrors, NEP throttle lock, Adaptiv TPX radar detector...140K miles

Offline ventYl

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2016, 06:48:42 PM »
I've heard that some of brake calipers kawasaki used in late '80s tend to bend under heavy load. maybe this is what caused your rotor to bend.
Bandit 400 1991 - stock except of swap from GK75B to GK75A